Thanks to our good friend Vic

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Thanks to our good friend Vic

Post by Harry Babb »

Last summer Uncle Vic visited Baldwin County. While here, he and Elaine invited Jo Ann and I to meet them for an evening drink.

Vic suggested a Mint Julip.......never had one in my life.....so I said sure....I'm game.

So the young waiter obliged us with a pair of Mint Julips and the ladies had white wine.

Well I gotta tell ya.....dat wus a preddy dang gud drink.....so we had another one.

Well.....several weeks ago Jo Ann and I went to Sweetwater restruant at a local tennis court/country club.......they will not let us play tennis or swim in the pool (Members only) but they would let us into their restrurant.

Low and behold I see on their drink list.....they serve Mint Julips....hot dang.....I gotta have me one of dem Mint Julips.....It was just as good as the ones I had with my friend UV.

Soooooo.....I watched the Bartender lady and when she was not quite so busy I slipped over and asked her to give me a lesson in making Mint Julips.

To day Snookums bought me a little baggey of Mint at the grocery store and tonight I made my own Mint Julip for the first time.....not quite like the ones at the hotel....but not to bad.......a little more practice and I think I'll have it.

Thanks Vic......Next Saturday night is our yearly Halloween party......I will be making some Gumbo.....using the Savoie's Roue that you gave us.....gonna be good I am sure

Come to Alabama and I will treat you to Gumbo and Mint Julip.....

hb
hb
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Harry,

Never had one myself. Now you have me curious.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

You are quite welcome, and thanks again for your hospitality. Its an Old South drink, best enjoyed in a rocking chair on the front porch of the plantation house - basically a sweet old fashioned with lots of crushed mint and traditionally served in a tall collins style glass with shaved ice. Good mint is the secret. We grow our own here and at the camp, its like a weed. There is a variety called "The Best Mint" that is........the best mint. Grows year round here and will take over a flower bed.

Harry, if you can't find some to grow, let me know and I'll get some that's already rooted to you one way or the other.

UV
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

I like them also. Try to drink one or two while watching the Kentucky derby every year.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Kevin
First put a couple of table spoons of water in a glass heat it to boiling and add granulated sugar.....enough to make a light syrup.....may have to heat it more than once to get the water to dislove enough sugar.

Let that cool

Next put crushed ice in a glass along with a couple of Mint leaves. Use a blount object to crush the leaf in the ice....from there I took the leaf pieces out of the ice and then put a whole leaf in for added flavor and looks

Then pour a small amount of the sugar water into the glass along with the ice and crushed mint leaf

Fill the glass with crushed ice then add your favorite whiskey (I used Crown tonight....and will use Jack when I am at the river)

At first dont mix it up. If you use a straw to drink the first few sips will be sugared mint flavor and then as you contiune to drink you will start getting the whiskey/sweet mint flavor.

How do you make your Vic?

hb
hb
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

When my brother and I were teens and later every Christmas and birthday we gave our father one sterling silver mint-julep cup. This is the only civilized way to drink them in the old south. When he passed we divided enough cups to serve a cotillion. The silver today is worth more than we paid for the cups.
My father's juleps were a production number. This is the reason most bars and restaurants don't do them, too labor intensive.

His recipe (that would be 'receipt' in the old south):
Start the day before or at least several hours before serving. In a proper cup (see above) put one teaspoon of powdered sugar, a few (six or eight should do it) mint leaves, two teaspoons of water and muddle (crush and mix ingredients) until well mixed. Put the cups in the freezer until ready to serve. Now the problem here is the original receipt was created before frost-free refrigerators. These clever units take the moisture out of the air and so suck the juice out of your cup. Best to cover with an old lid from a peanut can; nothing that will wrap around the cup or touch the sides.

When ready to serve: crush enough ice to fill your cups, add two jiggers of good bourbon (Maker's Mark or Virginia Gentlemen are my favorites) to each cup and give a quick stir, add ice to the top with a sprig of mint and a cocktail spoon or (God forbid) a straw. Touch the cups as little as possible when preparing as they will develop a nice frost on the outside and look as good as they taste.

A word to the wise: these are killers! They are so sweet and tasty and habit-forming they can get the best of you rather quickly. In my younger days they were used successfully to lower the resistance and raise the libido of the unsuspecting.
Cheers!
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

In my younger days they were used successfully to lower the resistance and raise the libido of the unsuspecting.
Candy's Dandy, but Liquor's Quicker...
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Mikey wrote:sterling silver mint-julep cup.
Mikey, would you happen to have a pic???? I may have to have one or 2 or 6 or 25 of those.......in Stainless Steel of course.

hb
hb
jrhaszard

Candy

Post by jrhaszard »

Capt Pat, Ogden Nash added a third line years later..."Pot is Not".
BERG1847M80F
Carl

Post by Carl »

Harry Babb wrote:Kevin
First put a couple of table spoons of water in a glass heat it to boiling and add granulated sugar.....enough to make a light syrup.....may have to heat it more than once to get the water to dislove enough sugar.

Let that cool

Next put crushed ice in a glass along with a couple of Mint leaves. Use a blount object to crush the leaf in the ice....from there I took the leaf pieces out of the ice and then put a whole leaf in for added flavor and looks

Then pour a small amount of the sugar water into the glass along with the ice and crushed mint leaf

Fill the glass with crushed ice then add your favorite whiskey (I used Crown tonight....and will use Jack when I am at the river)

At first dont mix it up. If you use a straw to drink the first few sips will be sugared mint flavor and then as you contiune to drink you will start getting the whiskey/sweet mint flavor.

How do you make your Vic?

hb

Sounds good... although I'd probably substitute Crown or Jack with Wild Turkey 101 and leave out the ice, water, sugar and mint. Just make sure its a nice Clean Glass.

Now for a cool refreshing drink...Shaker filled with good ice...not the funky cubes found in many home freezers, add cubes and water to a martini glass and let sit, then add appropriate amount of Stoli to shaker, let sit for a minute or so. Top shaker, shake vigorously till the frost builds up were the shaker sticks to your hands. Empty glass then strain contents of Shaker into frosted glass...absolutely NO FRUIT, twist or anything to detract...now just relax and sip away...now that is refreshing!

So the Mint Julip is basically a Mojito without the lime and Rum substituted with whiskey ..interesting. I may give that a whirl next year on the dock...not for me though, too sweet.
jrhaszard

Stoli

Post by jrhaszard »

Stoli may cause one to become "CHIFAZZED".
BERG1847M80F
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Harry,
Sorry, out of town working. Here tis.

Mikey
-Albert Einstein
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Thanks Mikey

I bet that puppy sure gets Frosty!! ! ! Remember the aluminum "Glasses" that were popular when we were younger???

I googled Mint Julep Cup....the Sterling Silver ones are quite pricey......

hb
hb
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Holy Crap!
I thought they were expensive in the sixties. I could retire on these puppies.
Frosty is the name of the game.

"Summertime and the livin' is easy."
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Anything sterling is out of sight right now. Pure silver is selling for about $35 a troy oz. (a troy oz. is about 91% of a "regular" postal oz.). Sterling silver is 92.5% silver and 7.5% another metal, usually copper. Scrap sterling silver sells at honest gold & silver scrap places for about 83% of the quoted pure silver commodity price you see in the financial pages of the paper. Finding a "honest" place to sell scrap silver is about lke finding a domocrat against raising taxes.

UV
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Well I'm disappointed. Flew down to Charlotte this week and went to a nice restaurant for dinner. Asked the bartender if he knew how to make a mint Julip and I got a funny look. Guess they're not " coonass" enough down in NC.

Maybe next time.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939