Ft. Lauderdale Boat Show

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Pete Fallon

Ft. Lauderdale Boat Show

Post by Pete Fallon »

Guy's,
Is anyone going to the Ft Lauderdale Show, it's Thursday Oct 27 thru Monday October 31. I will be down there on Thursday and Saturday. My cell is 561-310-7179. I should be there around Noon to 7 PM on Thursday and Noon to 6:00 PM Saturday. Hey Ric you going to Shooters for the costume party Saturday night, I remember one year something about a nurse?
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

I'm back and forth each and every day between the show and the real estate office.
cell 516-810-0959 ..... I'll be bouncing around at or near the show the entire time.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Who else is going? I may go on Sunday.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Joseph Fikentscher

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

My son is there at the NAIAD Marine booth.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Guy's,
I was going to go back to the show today, with all the rain showers and reports of street flooding, I am putting it off until Sunday.

One interesting item I saw was at the Streyr Booth, they are making a 295 hp 6 cylinder engine called the MO306, it's a cast iron mono block like the 265 hp. They have some really strange expandable hose connections on a few of the fittings, especially on the cooling side of the engine and it's got a single serpentine belt with a tensioner running all the pumps, cams and the altenator. Weighs in at 732 lbs without tranny and it turns up to 4300 rpm. I am going to take a closer look and get firm pricing when I go back tomorrow.

I haven't been to a show for over a year with my knee problems, did this unit just come out or has it been out for a while?
Pete
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

I passed on yesterday and based on the weather will make a decision on today. As of right now....it's still raining and the guy that owns the Mako across the canal is not gonna have a good day.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I attended the boat show today even though it was still rainy we had a good time. Saw some old friends from the Bahamas and met some news ones. I hijacked the Bahamas tourism booth briefly, no alcohol was involved, thank heavens or it could have been worse, I embarrassed my kid enough as it was, but that's our job as a parent, right? Found the Steyr booth and the Yanmar booth, oddly could not find the Cummins booth other than the Onan, probably right under my nose. The Yanmar rep was recommending the 6 cyl model. The Steyr engine did sound interesting. My gassers are still running so it's not an issue...yet. This could be my Avatar!
Steve Marinak
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

You DO look like you're having fun!
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

This could be my Avatar!
Your wish is my command, Steve...
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

LOL....looks like a Halloween or Mardi Gras party.

Wanna really get the kids going....drive thru the middle of town.....roll down the window.....turn the radio up and start singing Unchained Melody to the top of your lungs......They will promise to rake the yard....clean the windows....do their homework or just what ever it takes if you will shut up.....LOL......want to know how I know this????? Just ask my kids....

hb
hb
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Guy's,
I went to the show from 12:00 to 3:30 PM today, as I was going into the show a kite surfer had crossed A1A and landed next to the CourtYard Marriott Hotel with his kite across the southbound lane of A1A, he wasn't injured but screwed up traffic until he got his kite untangled from the telephone and cable TV wires. Wind was blowing 35 with gusts to 45.
Talked to the Styer people again, basically the 306 engine puts out 295 for water jet application, for inboard it's 285 hp output. It's the same block as the 265 hp just chipped up in the ECM, larger water pump, aftercooled and larger injectors, 4300 RPM motor. They wouldn't give me a price for bobtailed engine, said I had to talk to the local dealer, rep didn't know who serviced Stuart area. Gave me a half assed quote of 35 to 40 for the 265hp.
Steve I missed you but I did see the dancing lady at the Bahamas booth.
I got out of there just before it started to rain hard.
If anyone is still using a NorthStar 951X or 961X there is a software upgrade for a new GPS satallite that took effect 2 years ago, Simrad took over NorthStar but still has software updates if needed.
I didn't realize how much things have changed in just a couple of years, I haven't been to a Ft Lauderdale, Palm Beach or Miami show in 2 years with all the knee operations. Some of the old line companies have been bought up by different larger companies, South Florida companies like Lee's are now in North Carolina, Raytheon is now owned by the English, but the same people are still at the show but with different manufacturers.
I guess it's part of getting older but the quality of the female talent walking around the show grounds sure looks alot dumber, the shoes are geting higher and the silicon implant business is still booming in South Florida.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Steve...

I assume you are the one with the Bertram shirt?

Pete...

Lee moved a couple of years ago.. they are now about 20 miles from my house in Wilmington NC.. Raymarine was bought also a couple of years ago by Flir Systems.. who are in the infrared night vision business.. unless Flir sold them recentlly.. Flir is a MA and OR based business.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Thanks Patrick! At least I know no one will steal that avatar from the group file, that's for sure.

Harry, that's a Junkanoo costume, which is similar to Mardi Gras in the Caribbean islands.

Pete I too noticed the talent in many booths, if I had been drinking the beer they were selling, sans kids, I'm sure I would have been talking to a lot of random vendors, like Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation. "See Rusty no visible panty lines..."

The guy in the Yanmar booth knew Bruce, he was from Mastry Marine. As I approached, he says "90% of the repowers in 31 Bertrams are new 6LP's". I say, "Hmmm, if I were to guess 90% on a particular engine I would have said remanufactured Cummins 6bta's". He floundered a bit on that reply, but he was a nice guy and I'm sure it's a fabulous engine for a repower and had nothing but good things to say about Bruce.

The Steyr pitch had some unique things, even for my un-mechanical mind. Ironically they had a guy in their booth from my neck of the woods in the Bahamas, a new dealer. He told me what sold him was a recent salvage they did of a boat that sunk had Steyr's. They brought it back to the shop emptied the salt water out of them, cleaned them up and slapped them back together and are running today.
Steve Marinak
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Steve,

Nice head gear! We used Mastry when Bruce did my repower in 2000, and the Yanmar 6LP-STE served my needs beautifully for 10 years. Richard Mastry has done several B-31s for his personal use. The engines fit very easily in the space vacated by the gas blocks, the balance of the boat was great, and the performance outstanding (would cruise an honest 30 knots, but our sweet spot was loping along at 26-27 knots, which is faster than sea conditions would normally allow). Most guys on this Board view the Cummins 6BT and the Yanmar 6LP as the two ideal choices for the 31, with the deciding factor being whichever brand had the strongest "local support" for parts and service. My guess is that Cummins would come out ahead on the numbers game. Regarding the Steyr, Bruce has shared that he is very high on the Steyr technology and quality. Congrats on selling your B-26....very nice boat.

Tommy
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I checked out the Steyr website. Same bore/stroke and displacement with iron monoblock. Wish I had those power numbers.