bow rail fittings

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Face

bow rail fittings

Post by Face »

I removed the bow rail from a friends bertram 35 in order to paint. He wants to reinstall it for safety reasons, i don't. Anyway, his mounts are in bad shape and don't warrant recroming. Are there replacement mounts available with the same bolt pattern? When i looked into it for my b28'i couldnt find any with the same length measurement. Anyone know a source or want to sell theres? sorry about the smartphone punctuation/ caps.
B.W. Outrage 18
Restoring B28 w/ Cummins 4BT 150's
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Face,
The original angle fittings, rail bases, and tee fittings were made either by Wilcox- Chrettington(spelling?) or Perko, the bolt holes are not quite the same as the originals from years ago. If your repainting fill the holes with thickened epoxy and redrill the old holes, they are more than likely worn oval or enlongated from years of pressure. Don't forget to use tefgel on set screws and good amounts of caulking around screw bases.
Pete
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I bought new stainless fittings by Perko and they are real close, but like Pete says, the bolt pattern is off. And ditto the tefgel as I'm slowly drilling out the set screws on the old ones and been working on that for about 8 or 10 years....may try again in a few years....awkward place to drill.....probably need to pull the headliner down and remove the whole rail and do the drilling on the drill press in my shop, but got better things to do right now than take a couple hundred screws loose.

UV