Post by PeterPalmieri »

Bumped into a friend

Pretty cool video of the bunker pods

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu28 ... 5df48f.mp4

Picked up a 38" 20lb fish on live bunker

1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Direct link to video, didn't embed in the original post.

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu28 ... 5df48f.mp4
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

nice photo peter i don`t have any photo`s of phoenix fishing for bass . nice birthday present thank you!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Happy birthday bob!

BTW for those of you that I have never met, the picture is one of the crew not me. I'm much better looking.
matt ciarpella

Post by matt ciarpella »

sure wish striper fishing was that way here in the upper cheapeake.
its dead.
matt ciarpella

Post by matt ciarpella »

and did i mention diseased?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

PeterPalmieri wrote:Happy birthday bob!

BTW for those of you that I have never met, the picture is one of the crew not me. I'm much better looking.
Bob

Happy Birthday.

Peter

For those of us that know you, I would say we should let your wife chime in on the looks comparison.

Sounds like you finally have all the kinks worked out with boat.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Well Tony that's not quite the ringing endorsement I was looking for.

The boat seems to be running pretty well, left the dock at 6am and didn't shut her down until 4pm except for a few brief moments. Starboard motor stalled at idle once but started right back up. Not even priming before turning them over. Keep your fingers crossed.

I had a chance to see Craig Mac's boat and have lunch with him last week, he's got a beautiful gas powered 31 and that's an understatement. In any case we chatted a bit about if I'd stick with gas or go diesel.

While I am hoping to not have to make that decision or write that check anytime soon I did burn over 80 gallons striper fishing. Being that we made some long runs looking for fish. In any case I don't want to know what Phoenix consumed or how he left the dock after me and returned before me and had his lines in the water longer then I did.

One of the crew commented "get diesels, I have to split the fuel bill but not the cost of the motors"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

yea but look at the bright side i could not cast that penn 975 with consistency while you use that fancy avet reel and drop every cast in center of bunker pod.when you call me on the radio and i came to your location on the pod i was running just under 40 but the rest of day ran 28 from pod to pod. no big deal enjoy the boat thats what counts.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

The byproduct of learning to cast a conventional reel is that you get really good at untangling a birds nest long before you get good at casting. The braided lines help with distance but the birds nests are miserable.

While my old surf fishing buddies can handle a conventional I need to gear up for guests who are less experienced and bite the bullet on a few spinning rods.

As I fish the boat more i realize a pedestal mounted rocket launcher is moving up the priority list.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

when snaging bunker thats all i use is a spinning rod, taken many 20 - 30 lb fish out of the pods, use the penn baitrunner
1968 hull # 316 - 757
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I've found that there is your tackle and there is guest tackle. Unfortunately mine gets little use and the guest tackle gets very used and abused. Not by me, but when cleaning up I find drags locked down, tangles reeled right over, bent eyes, etc. I have a pair of (#3 and #4) Fin-Nor Gar Wood spinning reels that never come to the boat for fear of someone trying to use them. I find it quite amazing how little respect some people have for tackle. Those that do respect them really do though...thank God.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

" I find it quite amazing how little respect some people have for tackle." Walter, that is because they did not spend their money to buy it.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

When guests are about, the ugly sticks come out (not that there is anything wrong with them) and the Penn SS are in action -- only had one get bunged up in past 7 years.
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Walter:

...and lets not talk about the ones who make a swing and throw them overboard.....even experienced anglers.......more than once I've had to do a recovery rig to try and save fishing gear.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I once had a friend who bought a new outfit, I think it was a loomis rod with an intl bait caster. We talked about it over the phone and that morning all the way across the bay. It was wet and drizzling out. 1 cast, man this is a great rod. Second cast he launched the rod into the water.

Should I mention he's a marine biologist and one of the best fisherman I know.

To this day it makes me laugh like crazy.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Peter,
I love it!
I was out striper trolling on the Chesapeake several years ago. We had been droning along for about two hours without a bit as had every other boat around us. Not even any radio chatter to break up the monotony when this older charter captain comes on and says, "Last year I had just bought a new trolling rig with an Ugly Stick and Penn International and had set it along with the rest of the rods. We get a hit on it and this *@#%$* broad grabs the rod out of the holder and drops it over board. Well, every time I troll this area I think about my lost rig. Damned if I didn't just snag it off the bottom in fifty feet of water. It's covered in barnacles but where you can see it the reel is still shiny!"
Someone suggested that he return it to Penn with the story for refurbishing. He did and they sent him a new reel with a picture of his barnacle-encrusted former in a display at their corporate offices.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thanks for the birthday wishes and yes brewster/ charlie i am going back to penn ss spinner for snaging bunker. i gave mine to guess and attempted to cast with 975 with braid . cast a mile but no matter how hard you press down with thumb there is a little ball up at end of cast and a bitch to untangle braid on reel.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
randall

Post by randall »

hey bob...happy birthday!!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

Glad to hear she is running well. Unfortunately our Berts will burn 25 gallons an hour with big block gas engines. Tough to get around that. Even with diesels the avg. repowered 31 can not run with Bob. He has his tweeked to the hilt. So don't feel bad about the speed. Like Bob says, just enjoy her for a few years before you go crazy.

I think almost everyone has a rod and reel gone over the side story. Back in the late 70's before aluminum rod butts became the norm, we were offshore trolling, two boats both 31 berts. My friend owed his dentist a trip, well old doc fighting a Tuna, for some unknown reason decided to hold the pole by the butt while sitting in a fighting chair. The dam but snap clean. My friend watched his offshore gear, an internatiional and all, go sailing over the side.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Brewster Minton

You should not feel bad. I lost a two speed Penn 130 on a custom rod. Grand total with line and extras came to 2,300.00$$$$ Still makes me sick every time I drive past the spot. Marked on my gps.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Brewster Minton wrote:You should not feel bad. I lost a two speed Penn 130 on a custom rod. Grand total with line and extras came to 2,300.00$$$$ Still makes me sick every time I drive past the spot. Marked on my gps.
Ouch
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

'Bout 15 years ago got cabin fever around St. Patrick's (Different Patrick... this one was not much with power tools…) day and through the magic of the internet cured my winter malaise by buying a matched set of 4 Penn International 30TWs and rods. I was the man...
Brought 'em along on a friend's new Albin for a little trolling by the northeast corner of the Mud Hole in August of that year. Found birds and bait but; nuthun, nuthun and nuthun on the troll. Settled in to that - too long on the drag rhythm of not talking just lookin'- checkin’ for weed - changing out lures -lookin'....
Then WHAM!, hole in the water back at the long rigger!
The rod never even twitched the tip. The rod holder was not a welded holder but clamped to the aluminum rail. Whoever mounted it musta' been afraid to scratch the anodizing or somethin'. I never checked it. The holder spins down to parallel with the water faster than a mate’s hand on a tip.
So the hole in the water back by the lure is now matched by the new Penn 30TW rig gracefully clearing the stern and splashing its departure from my inventory...
The adrenaline from the initial strike hit my brain only slightly before the profound depression of pondering the place in the wake where one of my favorite possessions just disappeared. (Note: the Penns were stupidly extravagant purchases both in terms of $$ and considering I didn't own a boat with an engine.)
I stood with my mouth open and my arms limply by my side as the flat line doubled over.... My brother-in-law picked that up and began winching in a fish. Mouth still agape I clear the other lines and get ready to be useful when we see what’s on the line.
I see the double coming up out of the water and look down at the snap and see another line tangled over the snap! The rod and reel had fallen on one side of the flat line while the fish ran to the other and it got tangled at the terminal. I start hand-over-hand down the line towards the tension and after a few good pulls I imitate an NFL long snapper and fire a tuna into the cockpit then start down the slack part of the line…. Thinkin’ I’m getting a yard and a half per pull… spooled ‘em with about 600 yards… did I tie a good arbor knot? Did I?... feels like I’m pullin’ more than just line… AND UP IT COMES!
We WIN!
Possunt quia posse videntur
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

great post and good story teller. you could actually visualize this event unfolding as some of us have also experiance some kind of tackle lost.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

many years ago fishing a niantic shark tournament as guest mate, one of the crew is sitting on transom and decides to check drag tension with spring scale while owner is steaming for Montauk. Bad timing as we hit rip at Bartletts Reef same time as guy is pulling spring scale withhout noticing this reel is in full drag -- Penn 80W on brand new custom rod -- next thing I see is the guy going over the transom and the rod/reel sailing over his head.

Fortunately, we got him back with nothing more than pride injured. Brand new 80W and custom JB Tackle rod deposited in Bartletts Reef. Spent the next 2 seasons dragging wire over that spot hoping to snag it!
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Great story
martinciarpella

Post by martinciarpella »

sure wish striper fishing was that way here in the upper cheapeake.
its dead.

I hear that one......We have in pretty bad up here.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Well it blew 20-25 today. Being that I rarely have a day to myself I went out anyway and got my head beat in with no fish to show for it.
Brewster Minton

You were still on a Bertram. Its not about fish.
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Went out Saturday for some late season marlin..........4 boats out from the East.....wind blowing 15 mph with constant 8 to 10 feet waves.....Hueso was the smallest boat of the fleet......next that follow - a 40 footer Viking.....I remember saying to my wife every 45 minutes or so: "these little boats give you a false sense of safety....". When we came back and docked Hueso, she said to me: "this is why this boat gives you a false sense of safety".

As to the fishing: only one dorado. Sadly it wasn't me.