B25 Question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

TailhookTom

B25 Question

Post by TailhookTom »

I have finally gotten off my lazy butt and started working on putting the 25 back together. It was a 25 Hardtop until a previous owner cut off the hardtop and made it an express - I loved the look of the hardtop - what a shame.

Anyhow, since I am going to have to get a new fuel tank, I have a question -- is it possible to add a fair amount of additional fuel capacity by modifiying the deck area? I note that there is a fairly large open space in the deck between the helm and companion seats -- the step down to go into the cuddy actually starts about 4 feet in the cockpit. could I cut open part of this area and maybe steal another foot to add fuel? Anyone have any suggestions as to where the best places are to put a bit more fuel in the 25?

Thanks,

Tom
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Mine had a big tank under the helm seat.. about 100gals.. with the seat right ontop of it.. and with the 2 50gal factory tanks I had a bit of range with the vee drives & the 360 Chryslers.. good set up;
W
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Tom is yours a v-drive model or stern drive?
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Sterndrive
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Tom it's all a premium! Maybe steel a little from the drop down although there may be some stringers in the way, also under one of the bench seats if you have them. I would think you may be able to come up with at least 50 gal of space. When I had Nautic build my stainless tank I lost 6 gallons but it was likely my fault as there was room to go up in height for maybe another 10 gal. I would have gone from 112 to maybe 120 if I would have planned better. As it stands I am at 108.

Mark
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Tom - I think the drop down area in the by the helm is the perfect place for adding fuel capacity for 2 reasons:

1. B25 tend to run bow high, if you are adding weight, this is the area of the widest beam and weight carrying capacity.

2. I always found my right foot (my B25 was left hand steer) searching for some solid deck. If you fab a tank to fill this area, make a hatch to go over and have the entire eck on 1 level surface.

Ian.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Tom,

If you have a center stringer in between the two fuel tanks, you can cut it down to the hull joint and make one larger tank. Terrible sketch below. I'm planning to do this to my 63.

The recessed area is essentially the same shape as the OEM ful tank location. It would possible to cut the deck out and install a couple of tanks on either side of the center stringer and cover them with a new deck piece.

Where to buy tanks? I need to order at least one!

Cam
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Thanks for the information -- very helpful. When I get my new tank or tanks, I've been told that up in New Englad the place to go is Luthor's. And from what I hear, he has done tanks for both the 25 and the 31 which means he probably has a great idea as to what works in each.

http://www.lutherswelding.com/

Tom