New low vision aid

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

New low vision aid

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

As some of you know, I have suffered from macular degeneration most of my adult life and use a variety of low vision aids. These consist of computer enhancement programs and closed circuit TV systems that magnify images. I've used a hand held portable electronic magnifier for several years and love it, called a Pico. But today one of the major low vision companies, AI Squared, came out with a new & super hand held, the i-lowview. I just ordered one since it has the features I'd always wished my old Pico had, one of which is huge, a 3.5 hour use time on one charge vs. about 25-30 minutes for my Pico.

Anyway, here is the link to it and they are giving a discount for the first 200 units sold - $649 and they charged me about $17 shipping.

http://www.aisquared.com/hardware/categ ... y/iloview/

If any of you or your loved ones have low vision I'd highly recc this, and of course having used the low vision electronics since the late 80s I'm sorta an expert on them and happy to answer any questions about the stuff. email, royvictor@cox.net or my cell, 225 937 1319.

Could be a major lifestyle changer for someone.

UV
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Thanks UV:

I have a sister in law who has the same disease -- I have cut and pasted the information and passed it along to her.

Tom
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Got mine a little while ago - very slick device. Compared to my Pico its lighter, thinner, brighter, many more features and overall well worth the money. I especially like the 3.5 hour charge cycle....and you can use it while its charging, same as the Pico. And it will take and store photos that you can zoon on the screen....now that's slick as owl woo-woo....comes with a 2 gig SD card installed.

My only complaint is the manual is written in baby talk but its from S. Korea so beggars can't be too choosy. Using the menu is pretty cumbersome but I suspect like my old Pico I'll use it 99.9% of the time just for reading stuff and figure out pretty quick my preferred settings, and this one allows you to do a master "save" of your preferred settings.

A gizmo that will make a lot of folks happy.

UV