Outboard Question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

moguls2go

Outboard Question

Post by moguls2go »

Hi Everyone,

Have a question for the group-

After being raised and flushed with earmuffs, I noticed water draining from the space in front of the prop (toward the bow in relation to the prop) on our 115 Merc... Having recently had a new skeg welded on, due to an unfortunate meeting with a rock, I'm paying more attention to the lower unit and, because I never paid a ton of attention to where water was draining, I'm wondering if this is normal?

I'm concerned that, when the shop welded a new skeg, the heat from the weld damaged or destroyed the seals I have a lower unit that's full of sea water.

Sorry to post a non-B31 question- just hoping that I can capitalize on the groups collective knowledge of all things marine.

Thanks,
Max
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Chances are pure water will not be a sign of lower unit seal problem as water is all the way up in the head. Drain the lower unit and see. If it is cloudy, there's water in it and you should clean thoroughly and change all seals.
A brand new motor can lose it's seal from mono line wrap on shaft. Inspect/change by hour meter or at least annually, I use the Mercury oil, altho some I know swear by synthetic.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
moguls2go

Post by moguls2go »

Great- thanks! I'm going to take a look at the LU lube the next time I pull the boat, but this gives me some peace of mind in the meantime.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Most outboards have a small hole about 3/16" in diameter located towards the front of the outdrive just above the gear chamber part of the lower unit.....this hole is for just what you are talking about....it drains water so that the water does not freeze and crack your lower unit.

You should be getting water from that hole....in fact over time the hole will becomed plugged.....I use a welding rod to clean the hole keeping it clean so that it works properly.

Just for peace of mind I would remove the oil drain plug and look at the oil.

If the welder took even minimal care controling his heat, I doubt that he burnt any seals.....the seals are a not near enough to the skeg to harm them.

hb
hb