Scuppers

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ed c.

Scuppers

Post by ed c. »

Anybody have a good idea to replace the original scuppers?
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Ed, Perfect timing im working on those upgades now..cut my tuna gate and after looking at JPs half pipe pvc scupper covers that is the route im going. I took a piece of blue styrafoam sanded it to an oblong oval shape with a 1" by 6.5" inside diameter, covered it with shipping tape to make the mold then layed three layers of 1708, then peel n ply over the top, next morning I pulled off the peel n ply and popped the styrafoam mold out from the inside. I made it long enough for both sides when cut in half, Ill glass that in the transom then cut a piece of 1.5" pvc to cover the new scupper set up. I will take a few pics to clarify my rambling, simple and effective even when backing down hard on a fish. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Ed, Here are a few pics to clarify my last post... oval form, test fit, installed, half pipe going on next...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

If you mean replacing the factory flapper, I used these and like them. You can enlarge the hole in the transom slightly with them as well. Not as fancy as Bob's but they work well if you aren't refitting the boat.

http://secure.shorewaymarine.com/Mercha ... ry_Code=PB
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

You do great work Bob, lookin good. Is that the infamous Cabisil for your fillets?!! I only wish I was as close to finishing as you,keep up the great work!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

is there some kind of flapper or any other means to stop water entry from outside in ???//
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Rocky, Gettin closer to done everyday...next week top cap is on for good as well... yes its a cabosil, high density mix, all epoxy..
Bob the half pipe glassed to the hull is over 1" larger on both sides, that goes on next, half pipe lets water out even when backing down, not using a flap of any means, will cut a plug of the same shape for the inside, just in case..
DavidDW

Post by DavidDW »

Looks great Bob H.

In Australia, flooding cockpits can be a big problem when fighting fish and I am yet to see a transom scupper setup that doesn't let water in. Typically, guys will pull up and open the transom door to let the water out when the deck gets very green.

Some of the custom gameboat builders out here (Assagai for example) have begun to design scupper systems that are mounted in the side of the boat.

When redesigning the scupper setup on my boat, (32' Au built cresta - as close to a B31 I could find!) I decided to go through the sides.

Thankfully she doesn't look as raw as that anymore!