B31 for my first bertram

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Todd Pearce

B31 for my first bertram

Post by Todd Pearce »

Hi,its my first post on B31, Iam looking at buying my first bertram(i`ve had a bunch of boats just not a bertram) I`ve seen a B31 with twin 440chrysler petrols, its in my budget,but I have no knowledge of these egines,so any thoughts or info you guys have would be great,also it would be great to know the fuel burn. there is only one B31 in New Zealand and it arrived last year ,has had a major refit has 3116 Cats ,fighting yellow hull and a tower,awesome looking boat,I`am trying to be number two
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Welcome aboard Todd......you came to a good place to get the "Down Low" on Bertrams.

Nice to meet you

Harry Babb
hb
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

thanks for the welcome,I`am looking forward to some feed back,and to getting a 31
conchy joe

Post by conchy joe »

I personally love the 440 chrysler's as I used to be a MOPAR fanatic, but in a boat the parts are pricier than big block chevy's.

Sorry I can't be of more help and welcome aboard.
Troy & Daria

28 Bertram FBC, 3.9 Cummin BT's

Conchy Joe "ITS THE BOAT'S NAME, NOT MINE" -
Hypoluxo Point, FL
Dug

Post by Dug »

The boat with 440's will burn 24 gallons an hour at an 18 knot cruise. Plus or minus. Parts were getting harder and harder to find back when I repowered. I think it takes a unique mechanic now.

Plan to repower... But the good news is you still may be able to buy 240 Yanmars internationally, and that is a great fit after those engines...

Good luck, and welcome aboard!

Dug
Carl

Post by Carl »

Not sure if you guys deal with Corn Juice in the fuel "Ethanol" as we have here in the States. If you do then you need to know the Corn Juice will eat the Stock Fiberglass Tank and work it's way into the motors creating havoc.

Hopefully Ethanol is not an issue for you...if it is, then tank should have been changed or will need to be.

440 Chrysler's, have a pair in my boat since I bought her 17 or 18 years ago. Engines were rebuilt about 6 years before I bought them and they have an enormous amount of hours on them and still run strong. I did have heads redone a couple of years ago when I encountered the ethanol, as it gummed up everything...but they really did not need to be done.

Parts can be had...although not as easy to find as they used to be. I'm told the heads are prone to cracking and they are difficult to find. I never had that problem and I have spares...

Dugs numbers are right on with the boat loaded up pretty good. Cut back to a 16knot cruise, running light with 4 people and a 1/3 tank of fuel I'll burn 20gph

Welcome aboard and good luck on the 31.

Carl
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I bought my boat with 440 Chryslers a long time ago when gasoline was much cheaper and Ethanol did not exist. The engines served me well. You will never find a better boat in terms of handling, simplicity, performance and fish raising. It is a DAY boat so live aboard facilities are spartan. Long term, have a diesel repower in the back of your head. Cummins or Yanmar, whichever has the best dealer service operation in your area. Good luck and welcome aboard.
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

Thanks to all,Its great to have acsess to such knowledge If you repower with around 220-240 hp diesel what else has to be changed? ie shafts etc,?
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

In my case I went to a pair of 210 Cummins, 1.5:1 transmissions. Kept the 1 3/8" shafts and fuel tank. Had to put in a return line. Changed props to 20"x20" #7 cup. Straight exhausts. Cruise @ 21-22 kts burning 7 gph per engine. I would guess over 250 hp you might want to go to 1 1/2" shafts. Yanmars are higher rpm diesels so I would expect you'd get better advice from a Yanmar owner about shafts. Cummins are a heavier, lower rpm high torque engine while Yanmars are lighter, higher rpm engines. Not having to deal with our governmental environmental regulations, the earlier, simpler diesels would be my choice for a lot of reasons. Owners of both are very loyal, which means a high satisfaction level on both.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Todd,

The other thing to consider is that in today's market a boat with diesels is cheaper then a gas boat and a repower. If you are thinking long term it is something to consider.

Welcome. Pete
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I like my 440's, as long as I can get ethanol free gas. Not cheap to run, but cheaper than a repower right now. it really depends on how you are going to use the boat.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Todd

Our 1975 31 used before the repower had the 454 Mercruiser Big Blocks. An old friend had a 1967 31 identical to ours except with the lower station, and he had the 440 Chryslers. When we used to run offshore together, and came home, when we both gassed up. the boats topped off within 3 gallons of each other. Our 454's used to burn about 25 gallons an hour at 3000 RPM's.

Like the guys say, look around. You might be able to buy a converted one here in the US and ship it and still be ahead of the game, given the current state of the economy.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Welcome Todd:

You will not find a nicer bunch of guys -- in good times and bad, this is a band of brothers like you will find nowhere else! Ask anything and you will be surprised by how many opinions, options and offers of help you will find!

Best regards,

Tom
Todd Pearce

diesel B31 values

Post by Todd Pearce »

again thanks to all ,you guys are alot of help,My problem is budget! or lack of it and Iam bloody minded,I should buy somthing local,practical and in my budget but all i want is a 31 ( what i really need to buy, to suit our family needs, is a B37 but thats just going to have to wait.) Its almost summer here and as we know there are only so many summers in a life time! So with that in mind I`d rather pay a bigger gas bill than go without,all that said where do you see the market on B31 diesels? whats the bootom range you`ve seen for a fair diesel ?