Compass-es-ses

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Compass-es-ses

Post by Harry Babb »

I am somewhere between buying a new compass for DeNada or having the old one redone or just cleaning it up and using it as it is.

I don't know much about compass's and thought I would poll the audience.....or phone a friend...... before I choose the 50/50

I like the compass....that's why I am considering keeping it on board

hb

hb
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Harry

Hard to beat that old Danforth. I faced the same problem about 6 years ago. I shifted over to a Richie. Bigger numbers easier to read. I still miss the Danforth.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Harry give me a call. 631 457 2587
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

That's what I've had on my boat since I bought it. Been solid as a rock.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Harry,

For me I need to be able to glance at it and know the direction I'm headed...some I find difficult to read, whether it be the Size, Angle or I find myself looking at Wrong Side of Card...whatever its gotta work for you.

It has to be Steady and Free...I don't want to wait for the rlcard to settle down in seas and I don't want to ever see it hesitate (stick).

Illumination is a pretty nice feature at night.

Larger the card better the resolution.

Aside from that It's all personal choice...personally I would prefer a better older compass to an Okay shiny new compass of lesser quality...good new ones are pricey.

Sounds like you getting close to splash time...

Carl
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

I brought mine, looking almost identical, to a gentleman in Mystic, CT who gave it back to me 2 weeks later looking like it had just come out of the box brand new. Took it apart, changed the card, cleaned and painted everything, polished the glass, changed the oils and calibrated it. All for a whooping $150 cash.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

I don't know if he is still in business, as he was an older gentleman and it was at least 6 years ago that he did the work. But if you open the link below and search for George Winther -- that is the man that did mine. I'm sure there are guys on the list closer to you though, but I recommend him highly. Update the area code from 203 to 860 for his phone number as CT added additional area codes since this list was published.

http://www.weems-plath.com/compass-repair.php
Bill Mckinnon

Compass

Post by Bill Mckinnon »

I sent mine to a guy in Florida. Came back in about a week and a half and looked like it was brand new. Totally redone new seals and works great. I will look to see if I still have the comapny name somewhere. If I remember it was around $150.00 for it

Capt. Bill

Charleston SC
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Had a fifty-year old compass on my blow boat which didn't do well.
Had it rebuilt(new jewel, new fluid and general cleaning of the exterior), best money spent. Worked like new and looked right on the boat.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Had mine redone in Norfolk years back same deal. They were down town real old time Mariner store charts of every where you could think of.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Harry, Im keeping my 45 year old compass as well, love the old look, mine is a flush mount danforth with fancy script letters..Im sending mine to a guy down the Cape...I think it may be the Viking link Capt Pat posted..send it up Ill drop em both off for us..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Brewster Minton

http://www.kvh.com/Commercial-and-OEM/M ... -1000.aspx This is what I have. Nothing better than this.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Brewster Minton wrote:http://www.kvh.com/Commercial-and-OEM/M ... -1000.aspx This is what I have. Nothing better than this.
While I am a fan of technology, I want a simple tried and true magnetic compass, one that does not rely on external power. Or wind up with a glitch...
Brewster Minton

when you lose power you do not need a compass. Had mine for 8 years. course 700 times a sec.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Brewster Minton wrote:when you lose power you do not need a compass. Had mine for 8 years. course 700 times a sec.
True Brewster, but I have had such great luck with technology.

My Computerized machines-- found substantial glitches in controls that have been on market for years. And not just the Haas machines...for those familiar with CNC's

Computers--can't tell you how many I have bought that crap out for multiple reason...some right out of the box. My latest a New Laptop, the Hardrive went two weeks in, Power Supply the next month...

Interphase Depth finder--software locked up the first season, returned for service and the following year it crapped out due to water intrusion. The unit was in a well protected place.

Standard Horizon Chartplotter--- software glitch that made unit unusable when encountered...father had same unit, bought at same time, same place...his worked fine.

Garmin GPS--- crapped out my first season...they replaced that one immediately, so far the best electronic replacement company I have dealt with.

Phones- After the first month with my I-phone...randomly I could not answer phone calls...the little bastard just locked up...brought it back and they could not recreate the problem for hours. Finally it did lock up and they replaced the phone..told me it was a first.

Maybe it's because I deal with this stuff day in and day out that I see how sound, proven, electronic equipment just goes whacky for apparently no reason.

Lose power...don't need a compass...true. But what about a power spike or low voltage frying the unit...You could still make headway and need a direction.

I'd buy an electronic Compass...but still would have a magnetic backup in view.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Frank,
Mine was done in Norfolk as well. Sent I it to them a month before going South from Mobjack Bay. When I came through Norfolk they met me at the boat and helped me swing it as well, NO CHARGE. If they are still there they are the real deal!
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
Dug

Post by Dug »

Tom is right, the guy in mystic is very well thought of.

I can find out if he is still around if you want me to.

When and if I ever tackle the major phase three renovation of my boat, I will replace the original flushmount, however it is more because I want a centerline mount, and to use the dash space for the electronica.

But I hear ya. IF you are happy with it, keep her and get her fixed!

Dug
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Hey guys

Thanks for all of the feedback and suggestions.

I now have several choices when I decide to have my ole Danforth refurbished and after a long talk with Brewester I can see the advantages of having an Electronic Compass.

Brewesters setup with the Asimuth 1000 is much more than "Just having a compass".....he explained that to me in a very nice conversation earlier in the week.

Will be working on DeNada today......and at the end of today I will be several hours closer to launch.

hb
hb
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Harry,
Electronics are great but we have grown to depend on them too much. When they crap out (note not 'if' but 'when') what then? Get the electronic but have the Constellation rebuilt. Looking at it today I realized that is exactly what I had on the blow boat. She was built in '59.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
Brewster Minton

I use mine to drive the course on my radar. It has an ARPA board and can track ten targets. Because it downloads the course 700 time a sec when I have a target locked 8 miles away and the bow of my boat goes back and forth 30 degrees it stays locked. The GPS gives course every 1.25 secs. It is not fast enough for the radar.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Brewster Minton wrote:I use mine to drive the course on my radar. It has an ARPA board and can track ten targets. Because it downloads the course 700 time a sec when I have a target locked 8 miles away and the bow of my boat goes back and forth 30 degrees it stays locked. The GPS gives course every 1.25 secs. It is not fast enough for the radar.

Brewster,
While I agree the technology of that electronic compass is extremely helpful and a great navigational aid, it's still a piece of electronic gadgetry that when working is the cats meow, and if it craps out for whatever reason...your stuck trying to figure out which way is home.

Although I will admit you could probably figure that out without a compass...but could someone else if they had to run the boat home?

Sorry, devils advocate...and I feel pretty strong about ammagnetic compass being on a boat.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I have a Ritchie electric on the bridge and the Danforth Constellation downstairs. I don't feel comfortable wihout a manual backup, plus it looks "salty"!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31