nice tuna

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

randall

nice tuna

Post by randall »

remember the shot i posted of the small outboard caught well inside on a big day? well this is his brother. he played first base on my sons little league team.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

WOW! !

He must be quite a diver.....and a really good shot.

I am sure that was a big day for him

hb
hb
randall

Post by randall »

generally they free dive.......338lbs.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

One hell of a rig, for sure. Cocking it must be a bitch.......Nice fish, very, very impressive.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Randall wrote:generally they free dive.......338lbs.
Now that you say that....I notice that there are no tanks on board.....

I shot several small fish when I was diving....in the 15/20 pound range and was always amazed at the fight in a "Small" fish

Guys like your friend must really have Bigguns.......I guess they throw their balls overboard then dive in after them.....

I cannot imagine! ! ! But really impressive.....makes me think of Swamp People.....CHUTE'UM LIZZY...CHUTE'UM

Fire up the grill...that's gonna be some good eating

hb
hb
randall

Post by randall »

these kids (actually they are in their late 20's) are real watermen. they dive, fish, sail and surf large waves.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

That is so @#%#@$ cool!
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Wow. I'm trying to imagine how they spot the fish, and then get set up in position to shoot it. What an experience it must be. I see he has four bands but I can't figure out his spear gun, looks like it has paddles on it.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
spencer

Post by spencer »

I have done some freediving/speerfishing
the paddles are stabilizers alot of time adds ballast to the gun to help with recoil

I have two guns that are approximatley the same with more internal ballast without the stabilizers , they look like a 2x4 wedge design, witch make it more easy to move in the water to track fish.

I have dove with tuna like that in mexico, but was not able to land one of that caliber, I also hit a dog tooth tuna in Palau which was about 150 pounds but sharks got to it before i could land it.

Ill try to post so pictures of amberjack , kingfish, and wahoo that i have landed. It is quite a thrill to see them and the power of these fish is awsome.
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Call me stupid but I am thinking you gotta swim like hell to get back to the boat before you run out of line or you might end up doing a deep dive?

What a fish! Maybe that was a kill shot? smarten me up about this.
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Mark, spear is attached to a float- not the diver. See orange float on deck w/cable attached.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mark, you need to meet some of the lunatics that we used to hang out with in Port Eads, like Extreme Al Walker.

http://extremefishingcharters.com/index.asp?pg=freedive
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
spencer

Post by spencer »

Mark

Most freedivers will use a bungee system tethered to a combination of floats
My set up has 50 feet of bungee with will stetch 3x it's length the end has a float which is in the shape of a torpedo with closed cell foam
Then I have tethered to that float another 75 foot of float line attached to another float

Basically kill shot is ideal, however sometimes a shot on a fish is avaiable but
Not able to angle for spine, most of the shafts have a breakaway tip which allows the fish to run and not bend the shaft
I have hit fish which have taken all my floats and line
And sink them out of sight in blue water
Only to have them pop up in the distance
Then hand over hand with the line to bring fish up
Then go for a kill shot
The fish that man landed would for me be most Likley
A fish Of a lifetime
randall

Post by randall »

he's bummed its not the record....12lbs short....so he's gonna keep trying. look at the spear....pretty bent. these guys will just casually swim out into the ocean and come back with huge stripers.

there was a picture on the cover of the local paper a few weeks ago of this guy holding onto a 50 foot whale shark well underwater with no gear.