Made it

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Terry Frank

Made it

Post by Terry Frank »

Boats and house are OK. Lots of wind.Surge was not as predicted. Power companies did a great job. Got power an hour ago. Life is beautiful.
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Glad you made it ok Terry, we had power back 1pm sunday..Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

Russ,

How did the new gen set work out?

Terry
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Terry, it worked great, auto start, auto transfer. ran the whole house. A/C hot showers and everything else. If you live around here it realy is a good investment....Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Glad you guys are OK.. the eye passed us about 100 miles out, and all we had was intermittent rain and gusty sub hurricane winds. Lost a few branches and occasionally a tree, but definitely not as serious as forecasted for us here. Thankfully!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I too made it through, but have no power or internet. Portable genset is working OK, but I don't want to run it when I am away. I am posting this from the office. The boat made it through at my traditional end of dock to shore hurricane mooring OK. She has weathered every hurricane since she was new in 1966 at that mooring!! Glad Irene did not strengthen the way they forecast. I probably would have lost her!! Next time I will be earlier in line for haul out if they predict a big one.

No major damage. My Mother lost a 20' section of 13' high serpentine brick wall, but her house was OK. We also lost a big oak tree, but it did not hit anything. Tree damage was not as bad as Isabell since the ground was not saturated when she came ashore. Still a lot of damage to large trees, just not as much structural damage from fallen trees. Not much flooding here as we are not low lying.

The reports I have heard reported wind speeds in the mid to upper 50 knot range with gusts up to 80. No report on rain totals, but my rain gauge at the farm was full at 6.5". I'm guessing 10"+.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Gert van Leest

Post by Gert van Leest »

good to hear you are all ok ,hey Russ ,and the shed were your boat is in????

Regards Gert
Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

heartbreaking for me anyway . lost 3 huge koi one was at least 20 years old. house took a huge electric surge destroy some top of line kitchen cooking equipment ----heating tray, combination coffee maker, convection oven,flat screen tv, etc. boat took on 91mph winds and storm surge and laugh at it . the koi is really hurting like laying down your dog after some many years of enjoyment . grand kids with be hurting also.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

Bob,

Sorry about the koi. They, along with the "stuff" can be replaced. Give the grandkids an extra hug, they can't be.

Terry

Terry
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

good point terry
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Sorry about the Koi Bob.

It's a bit ironic that the master of all things electric gets the power surge that knocks everything out. Is this a case of the shoe makers son?

I'm curious after things settled if your wife smiled about the terrible chore of finding new appliances?
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Bob,

Found some nasty photos of Sayville on Newsday

Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

I am glad you guys down south made out so well. when all of our water went down. I was woundering how bad the flooding was in MHC area.
Well my house never got any water, My parents got 2' of water under there house. Our houses are on stilts 8' most, shop storage under house. Got generator, mower, and some power tools running while cleaning up sun they were all under water. We never lost power where I live but most of the beach areas lost it for a day or 2. We had I guess 4-6' of sound side flooding. I have been here for over 20 years and this was the worst. I am just glad it was only a cat I. Boat fine.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

For those of you not familiar with the area this is a dock exposed to the great south bay. About 4 miles from the fire island (barrier island) across this 4 mile stretch the bay rarely exceeds 10 feet in depth. About 20 miles from the nearest inlet.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

We did not get as much storm surge in Va as we could have. The storm came here early, on the low instead of the high as predicted. The Moon Tides actually helped us I think. It was 18-24" below Isabell and Ernesto.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

How many boats did they loose? Doesn't look like anyone would fair well there.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Tony,

I don't know that dock is closer to Bobs house. Here in Babylon I only know of two boats that either broke free or flipped.
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

PeterPalmieri wrote:For those of you not familiar with the area this is a dock exposed to the great south bay. About 4 miles from the fire island (barrier island) across this 4 mile stretch the bay rarely exceeds 10 feet in depth. About 20 miles from the nearest inlet.
Peter I am in East Patchogue and know it. I can't believe some left their boats in on those docks Unbelievable but then again for some people it the norm.
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Dan,

You are absolutely right. Some people don't have a clue. While I was down at the boat on Saturday, other boat owners were asking some interesting questions. Like do you think I should loosen my lines or tighten them. Think I should go home and grab a few extra lines or bumpers. Obviously they don't keep extra lines or bumpers on the boat.

The boat down wind from me has all old frayed dock lines and a goofy system of a pulley and sash weights for his spring lines. He finally showed up with two 15 foot lines that were old as the hills. Also left his outboard motor in the up position.

It's funny on this site I'm the new guy that asks a ton of simple questions. Head down to the dock and find out I'm the expert. Helping everyone tie up so they don't end up stacked up on my boat.
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Peter

I know what your saying here's my boat and the one to the right had a total of 4 fender one you can't see in the picture.
Well it had 4 after I added 3.
It had shoe lace's for line's.

Here's the other side notice only one fender.
That's my buddy's boat on the left and he was also staying and riding it out.
You can see I was not worried for that side!

Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Here I am. Never touched a piling, the dock or the other boat.

The water was hip height at 10:30am. From what I heard about a foot lower then it was around 8am. It was strange looking at my trim tabs at knee level.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

peter i was in the bay at the height of the waves.when it gets crazy like that you have to keep the bow into the wind or your a gonna. timing is every thing making a turn.i had to go around and into the canal to tie off 70' infinity from one side of canal to opposite site .the photo`s of sayville are at the end of next block from me.no big deal sayville is the highest ground on south shore look at photo`s water never broke over bulkhead on candee,green, handsome,.some houses date from 1761 the oldtimers settle the high ground first.we took on the hurricane of 1938 with two inches of water in the street. however on the home front koi pond look like vegetable soup and i could not just empty and refill because water temp . had to be maintained for koi. yes my wife is out shopping for the latest kitchen appliance thats the worse damage!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

bob lico wrote:i had to go around and into the canal to tie off 70' infinity from one side of canal to opposite site .!
Bob

That is the best way to tie off to keep the boat off the pilings. Unfortunately for me, the people across the lagoon where the boat is are new and I don't know them that well, plus it looked like they skipped town for the storm. Two friends of mine who live across the lagoon from each other, tied the boats across. So they had a line stretching from one boat to the other. Keeps both boats off the pilings plus lets the boats ride up and down together.

I think I need to invest in two extra anchors and figure out how to set them and right length to make the lines so I can hold her off the pilings next time around.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

PeterPalmieri wrote:It's funny on this site I'm the new guy that asks a ton of simple questions. Head down to the dock and find out I'm the expert. Helping everyone tie up so they don't end up stacked up on my boat.
Peter

Here is the difference. We have a site in which we all try to help each other for the common cause. Yes we heckle each other, but when push comes to shove, everyone here really wants to help. You realize that pretty soon after entering this site. No need to be afraid to ask questions. No one says he that is stupid or criticizes you for being a rookie. The others only have sites where people are not really nice when they think the new guy is asking a dumb question.

So for your neighbors at the dock, who have no where else to turn, they now have you. In 10 years, just remember where you came from when you get asked by someone, passing you by "how do I stop this thing." And yes, that is a real question someone asked my father-in-law many years ago.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

I was driving around in a 13 ft whaler the night before Irene and I had a hard time coming about into the wind, couldn't imagine trying to do it in a sea with a 60 kn breeze. You got silicone bronze balls Bob, I'm coming over for the next storm.
The best part of this site is that the bullshit factor is rooted out quickly . Too many pros around here to jump in and correct the rest of us if bad advice is given. I'm pretty careful about offering advice but I have no problem asking for it.

By the way Captain Patrick, I turn pale when you say focus up before a hurricane My storm prep for Irene was complete three days before the storm. I took a foot of water in my house and only lost carpets and appliances. Your forecasts has always been a day ahead and more accurate than local weather guys. I wouldn't be surprised if Jim Cantore monitored this site.
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

ED the real problem is by placing robes across the canal you could cut someone`s head off so we had to robe off a 70' ,54' and 50'boats all on or during storm not to block canal then remove lines from" Snapper inn"opposite oakdale yacth property right after storm.you just cannot block a waterway like that.not a matter of balls the war took all fear from me, now i ride on total disregard for the water. i don`t have life or boat insurance when i am gone i am gone!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

they clean our street already my friends made it but you never know the next one!!!

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

This a picture my wife took while the water was going out. It droped about 3-4' below nornmal.

Here the water was coming up. She could not get a picture when the water was at its height, because it was too dark. The small square piling with my power plug was just above the water, she said. Just over 2' under the house. The small cc across the canal floated on the trailer.
[/img]Image
We believe the boat traveled over 8' vertical 3+' down and over 4' up. More water than ever I ever seen here in over 20 years.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt. frank absolutely perfect way to weather the storm. i feel much better than exposing her point blank into the wind. no chance of the boat next to you falling off the stands or floating into you as you would expect in a boatyard.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Ya, We only have three yards around hear for more than 200 50'+ boats. So yard space is premium. If we would of gotten 6"-1' more water I was told all three yards would have been a billion dollar mess. They had some small boats float off the blocks but staff managed. If all the big boats floated it would have been real bad.
I like my little canal just three boats tied up in the middle. We just worry about the boats left on lifts floating off.
We had over 5 boats that I know of float off lifts. A 25' performer if up sidedown next to a house in the mud. We the Fire Dept checked on it to day. The owner is going to try to get a back hoe or bobcat to try and flip it. If that doesn't work he is going to cut it up. Insain he is trying to get a crane but everyone is busey. A 25' parker floated off and across the street and up against a house. People don't have a clue.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Tie them to the trailer, tie them to the lift.
Love the grand old Victorian house. Beautiful!
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein