34 hatt

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

thuddddddd

34 hatt

Post by thuddddddd »

Looks like we got a newbie on the site. 34hatt. Hope your user name reflects your far more refined taste in yachts , than most of these guys that own RLDT's, (thats rolling little death traps if you haven't been a lurker and don't have the inside line) IF you are a hatt guy whats your home port? If your in the Atlantic region we're haveing a bert-hattt shootout(we know most of the official ones the berts get thier butts kicke, shouldn;t be any different this time) Brewster, feel free to chime in........

"Bertram 31, when old age hasn't done enough damage to your body"
Gotta love that one

Thuddddddddddddddddddddddd
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Timmy,

There is a 67 model 34 Hat. that has been totally refitted close to my RLDT in the boat yard that put 370hp Yanmar's in it. A friend of mine did all the work on it and really looks good with half tower and all the works. Pretty boat for a Hat.

But that dog want hunt! when it comes running the gaunlet. I've fished both and RLDT wins that battle hands down. There my 2 cents worth and I will post you a couple of pictures of 2- 67 model 34 Hats. in the boat yard.

R,
DQ
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Chime in, you bet. I would hope that some of the other Bert owners would assist me in letting you know that the Berts will kick a#@ on Hatts anyday in any port on any sea. 31 Berts raise fish and will do so long after the last Hatt is cut up and thrown in a dumpster.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Thudd,

My daddy always has said...

"You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig."

D
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

he should have thought about the more relavant one" spare the rod-spoil the child"
34Hatt

Here I am

Post by 34Hatt »

Well actually I joined in from Thuuuddd telling me you are a bunch of Good guys. But boy bashinggg my 34' before you even have seen it :roll: .
All in all I won't make too much fun of the RLDT's it was not even on the list of boats to redo Wife said NO WAY. I did look at some bigger Bertrams but in the end went with the Hatt 34C.
I also am planning on going to Montuak with you boy's (That is If you let me come and play) :D
So I have been a lurker for a few weeks but decide to come out of the closet specially since Tim keeps kicking me. He has been plugging all good things about you Guys so you may have to be nice to him for at least 1-2 days.
So I did add the link for the boat in my profile.
So howdy to all.
Dan
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Dan,

If you can stand the heat, you're more than welcome in the kitchen...

I'd guess that you know Timmy well enough to realize what a masochist he is. But then he is a good guy who's become a main element in our family. Kinda' like our eternal puppy, always under foot & chewing on the leather upholstry, but we love him anyway.

It ain't Thudddd's fault that he has dubious tastes in boats, just improper upbringing I suspect. That and he obviously likes to be challenged to an extreme. I mean why else would he keep dumping Kathy's money into a water plow? Timmy. you a farm boy at heart? Tryin' to break into aqua culture?

Now you on the other hand gotta' plow a long row with your ditch witch in order to catch up with Thudster. But then again your tub has made it underway enough to have been photographed at least three different docks.

I'm not sure that any other Tub owner would have Timmy's tenacity to hang in with a Bertram Bunch. Back to the masochist therory...

Welcome aboard!

Br,

Patrick
Chiles

Post by Chiles »

Captian Patrick,
I bet Timmy has at least one insurance photo of his boat under the dock. Let's see if Dan can beat that one.

Chiles
(Timmy started it)
Buju

Post by Buju »

Dan
Well, most guys that let their wives dictate what boat to buy end up with a bayliner or searay or some other chlorox bottle wannabe... So at least you came out ahead on that venture.
You did a helluva nice job on your Hat... as you already know. Not too bad for a slam-pounding, low deadrise, 34' blister factory :)
RussP

Post by RussP »

Last time I was on a 34 Hatt Linda & I were kite fishing for Sails out of Ft Laurderdale. The dam thing rolled so bad the mate got sea sick and wanted to go in but we made him suffer. If i remember correctly his name was Tim! They are one of the nicer Hatts but I'll stick with my trusty old 31.
Welcome aboard,
RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

If you can stand the heat, you're more than welcome in the kitchen...
I much prefer Heat to Cold specially if it gets too Hot I just jump in the water.
Dan
Well, most guys that let their wives dictate what boat to buy end up with a bayliner or searay or some other chlorox bottle wannabe... So at least you came out ahead on that venture.
Thanks I am lucky for that you will never see her looking at a SR plus she put up with a 5 year project and me spending every penny plus a few. She was the one that said it had to be back running for every summer during the redo :lol:

Hey that's not fair using Tim getting sick on a 34 doesn't he get sick standing on the dock also.
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Welcome Dan,

Nothing personal about you or your boat which by the way you did a jam up job, but as Chiles says, " Timmy Started It " and it is all in good fun in this kitchen.

R,
DQ
Dug

Post by Dug »

Dan! Welcome! You did a hell of a job on your boat. She looks great! Not a Bertram, but not a lot of other lesser boats than Hatt. Damned fine work!

You should also know that my comment was directed more at Timmy my buddy, than you. Hell I shouldn't insult you, I haven't even met you! Now Thuddd on the other hand, free game and easy shots. But that is why we love (ok, maybe too strong a word...) him!

As for being spoiled, ahhh Timmy, it is a good thing. Someone has to be, right? Why not me! Lol....:)

Dug
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Nothing personal about you or your boat which by the way you did a jam up job, but as Chiles says, " Timmy Started It " and it is all in good fun in this kitchen.
Thanks Capt DQ
Don't worry I know its not personal after all Its not like I have a SR or a Bayliiinnnner thingy :D Ever boat has some sort of trade off and mine fit's me the best.

So tell me more about your Montuak thing that is beside Drinking and going Thuuuudddd.
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dan, Welcome. Pictures, if you dare.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
John F.

Post by John F. »

Dan-

Really, really nice job. She looks great.

John F.

Mikey--the pics are in Dan's profile.
Carl

Post by Carl »

If you want to work on a real boat I would let you work on mine!
Very nice restoration.
Welcome

Carl
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Dan,

Thuddddd.... I guess is running the Montuak thing. I bees...down yunder here on the Gulf Coast of the Florida panhandle, There is the post at the top about it.

DQ
neil

Post by neil »

timmy now you have a ride to montauk and dan not all wives buy you a bayliner,my wife bought me the real deal a 66 bahia mar neil
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Neil,
Don't forget to tell em about the fancy seats
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
neil

Post by neil »

jp the wife bought me the boat and santa brought us those fancy chairs. we missed ya at brownies on new years ,we had a blast hope you had fun in fla
randall

Post by randall »

hey dan...welcome.....you obviously have a thick skin and a sense of humor.....not much else required.......real nice boat and most impressive (at least to someone like me who's battin almost 1000) "95 % of work done by owner" see you in montauk
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

I have to ask. It bothers the hell atta' me.
The Thuddd is the token out sider. You have to have one so the NY liberals don't say we're bigots.
But now two???
A/K/A El Gaupo
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

John F, Thanks for the clue. I'll figure this out eventualllllllllly.
Dan, Nice work. Love those 6BTA's. Smoooooooooooth.
I had a rag boat with as many names (Mitsuko, Su Mark II, Banjo (?). I renamed her (against the advice of many superstitious) in a religious ceremony followed by much revelry and had years of great stories including taking off South for a year. I renamed the boat "Lingermouse," a story worth buying me a drink sometime.
A friend down the creek sold the 46 Bertram he bought new and at the behest of his bride bought a Bayliner. With that same money he could have restored the BErt and had a real boat.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Harv

Post by Harv »

Oh well, I guess we'll have to change the name of the sandbox to Bertram31+2Hatts.com. Dan, nice job on the redo and welcome aboard. I remember as a kid, when my dad's 33 Ulrichson was getting on in years, that he fell in love with the 34 Hatt. However, now that I own a 31Bert, he couldn't be happier.......that is unless I give him my 26ft center console.
Harv
Matt Holcomb

Post by Matt Holcomb »

I am sure glad no one is knocking my Viking.......

Matt
scot

Post by scot »

Matt,

Where would a fella keep a Viking in Longview Texas?
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
thuddddddd

34hatt

Post by thuddddddd »

Scot, In Matts case(where would you keep a viking in longview) his explaination is going to involve duct tape, and his statemant"whys it so dark in here"
Matt stilllooking for my no speed trolling lure

yo frin
Thudddddddddddddd
"we are in a democracy, and we voted"
Matt Holcomb

Post by Matt Holcomb »

Scot, the boat is usually at Grand Isle, LA. (duct taped to the dock). She is at Seabrook in N.O. at the present, gonna be repowered I think....UV said "The money is in the iron" , and boy was he right.

Timmy, I am still trying to design a trolling lure that will float, At a speed of 0 knots, all the ones I have now sink.....What do I have to do to get and invite to this Bert/Hatt shootout anyway.

Yo fren,

Matt
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Matt, you got a invite. You want me to get you a ride on one of the winning boats, or a RLDT??? You get off work early enough and you can pal around with Andre and me in Boston, before the debacle
randall

Post by randall »

you welcome to stay at my house...20 minutes to montauk
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Hey Guys Thanks for all the Welcomes Ill be looking foward to meeting a lot of you in Montuak.
Here's a little piece of history for those of you that saw my repower. The 504's that I took out where put in my Hatt in 1981 by Jackson's Marine in Shinnecock N.Y and they came out of a 1979 31' Bertram. At least this is what the owner David Willmot had told me. Anybody know a 31' that was repower when it was only two years old??

Hey Timmy why are you posting on Saturday afternoon you should be working on the Tuuubbbb. August will come faster then you think. :shock:
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

dan
he just got out of bed
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

got a bit done this weekend. Pic's to follow. nothing from the rear bulkhead forward is left. cept the deck. Pissing rain again, so I'm sending one of my laborers to clean 40 years of sluge that was under the floor below. Amazing how little of the wood had any damage at all. No rot, no nothing. the fiberglass tabbing was still perfect. only real issue was the carrying boards on the stringers that the forward floor landed on. the screws were working and enlarged the holes, so they were a bit loose.