Washdown/Bait Pump

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jackryan

Washdown/Bait Pump

Post by jackryan »

I am looking for recommendations for a dual purpose pump. My brother built a live well that will sit on the deck just aft of the starboard engine box (this is where the raw water spigot is). I am hoping to find a good pump that will provide enough flow to supply the live well and enough pressure to run the wash down system. Do you guys know if there is such a pump? I hope to use the same through hull and same pump to do both jobs.

Thanks,

JR
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Consider a Y valve for the short washdown times?
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

i use the shurflow super pro i think its called think it puts out 6 gpm, have mine to a y valve turn bait well off turn on washdown, and visa versa. i would have its own thru hull supply, just my 2 cents
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

JR,

I have that very same arrangement and used a Rule 12V General Purpose Centrifugal Pump mounted in the aft bilge on my rudder shelf support pulling water from a thru hull and shutoff in the bottom. I've got it pumping to a faucet and I can either put my livewell on deck and attached a hose from the faucet or I can hook a hose to it and clean off all that nasty fish blood and spilt beer. I also installed an accesable switch.

It works like a champ and I've had it for about 5 years without a problem.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Thanks guy's for the reply's. I currently have a through hull feeding the washdown faucet just aft and outboard of the starboard engine box. My hope was to use this through hull for both washdown and bait well. After reading your reply's, I think I'll probably get a Y valve and a shurflow super pro or the Rule 12V Centrifugal pump and use it for both wash down and bait well applications.

JR
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Charlie's pump is the right size to do both (6 GPM). The cinc. pumps have to be below the waterline to prime unless you have a check valve and they are a leak potential. But they sure put out a hecka lotta water. Tropic Star (where I'm heading Friday, Thank You Lord!) uses big cinc. bilge pumps for their live wells. Buy your Shur-Flo pumps from Northern Tool vs. a marine palce - same pump, 40% less. Look in their sprayer section.

UV
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

UV,

Thanks for the advice. I'm checking Northern Tool right now. Have a great time down in Panama and good luck.

JR