My fisrt Rendezvous...seems like it may not be my last.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

My fisrt Rendezvous...seems like it may not be my last.

Post by Carl »

A big thank to all for he warm welcome extended to both me and the family at the Rendezvous.

I disappeared for awhile while Brewster gave me the tour of his fishing machine...I was slightly worried about Doreen being left behind, but Bob Lico was giving her the grand tour of the Phoenix at the same time.

Brewster, A big thank you for taking the last minute orders for the Lobster Bake...I really had zero intention of staying that long...but really glad we did!! Aside from being huge portions, the food was absolutely fantastic!! Couple that with great dinner conversation with Peters family and friends who could ask for more!!

The only down side is now Doreen is hung up on Bobs boat...I heard about Bobs boat all the way home, when I got home from work on Sunday and when we went down to the boat that afternoon....Bobs boat this and Bobs boat that....if it wasn't about Bobs boat is was the Lobster Bake and when the next Rendezvous is going to be, and how we should make plans to go.

I had to give her updates on everyone from Captain Walter and his Cookbook to Bobs "Frayed Knot" to Harry's shop, I had to go over what I knew about Captain Pat and UV down in LA. All stuff she has heard before but never really seemed to care about.

I could go on and on...but its what I pretty much knew all along...just a great bunch of people and I'm so glad to have finally met several more of you in person, well worth the trip!

Again thanks to all!

Carl
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

I too had a great time.
One pointer for the next time around ... we gotta make name tags.
I met some folks, but clearly missed on some others.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Carl- Your problem is the same reason I've kept my wife away from the inside of Bob's boat. Glad you had a good time and that your family enjoyed it as much as it sounds they did. It really is a great group isn't it? Walter
Dug

Post by Dug »

Yeah, I think if I keep Alchemy I am going to have to put in AC in the near future. Same kind of challenge!

Carl, it was great to see you guys again after so many years. I am really glad you came, and even more glad you enjoyed it!

And yes, name tags are a good idea. I will try to remember to bring some next year. We've had them in the past, but I think we forgot... There is always that "dammit, I should know his/her name!!!!" moment. Yeah, we know each other, but we don't know spouses, and we actually only see each other once a year or so anyway (for most of us...) and our pictures don't always look like us anyway!

Great to see you all!!! And for the 1st timers, Yeah!!!

Dug
Dug

Post by Dug »

And Carl, it could be worse!!! She could be saying "If you even think of making yours like Bobs boat, I will kill you!!!!"

:)
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Dug you look about 20 years older in your pic then you do in person. If you weren't sitting on your boat I would never have recognized you. read as a compliment.

It also took me a few minutes to put Carl and Sim as one in the same. I also always read bertramp as Bert-ramp not Bertram-p what's that about anyway.

Name tags would be a great idea.

All in all I just wish I was there longer.

As far as Phoenix goes, Bob is a bit of a ladies man, who's pretty wife didn't get a tour of bobs cabin? The fancy cabin is the easy sale I need my wife to come home dreaming about diesels.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

If this was Facebook -- I would click "Like" to Dug's last comment!!!!!!
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Hey Carl

My parents and I talked all about our summers at Watch Hill (fire island) all the way home. Brought back some great memories, I hope your family remembers it just as we did. If you do that trip again we'd be glad to join you. Those memories are about 90% of why I bought the 31 for my son to have that experience.

Pete
Carl

Post by Carl »

PeterPalmieri wrote: It also took me a few minutes to put Carl and Sim as one in the same.

...and it took me awhile to figure out I was Sim. Bob Lico was asking Brewster if Sim could get two Lobster Bakes and I was wondering who Sim was...then I was wondering if Sim could get two...maybe I could get a couple as welll! Then I saw him gesturing at me and I put it together...
I'm Sim...huh I always thought of myself as S, I, M the initials of the business, Staten Island Machine but I can see how sim became Sim.

I would need a Name Tag just for myself.

Pete,
My first time to Watch Hill was 25 years ago....I drove out with Doreen, took the Ferry over and met my parents on their boat. From that day on Doreen wanted a bigger boat so we could go ourselves...which is how we stumbled upon our 31 some years later.

Next time we go again, I'll let you know. It be great to meet up there. Maybe a Rendezvous place...although so many slips could be problematic on the weekends...and the low water....but it would be one hell of a time!

Carl
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

PeterPalmieri wrote:.

I also always read bertramp as Bert-ramp not Bertram-p what's that about anyway.

First Bertram I bought (a 25 Bahia Mar) ...I named it BERTRAMP ... kind of a play on words. Have since owned a 28 FBC, a 31 FBC and now a 31 Bahia ... all BERTRAMP.
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Bertramp wrote: First Bertram I bought (a 25 Bahia Mar) ...I named it BERTRAMP ... kind of a play on words. Have since owned a 28 FBC, a 31 FBC and now a 31 Bahia ... all BERTRAMP.
So how do you say it?

Bert-ramp
Bertram-p
Ber-tramp
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

BER-TRAMP ... kinda sums me up :-D
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

peter and carl the boat is no big deal however the ladies room (not calling it a head) appeals to the women. i feel it smooths out the there interpretation of a fishing boat.i don`t need a wine and cheese boat to make wife,daughter in law,and daughter happy just a private" bathroom "with sink.easy to live with trust me!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

If this was Facebook
And thank the good Lord it's not.

We try to encourage the use of real names to avoid confusion when joining as theres nothing here that some ex wifes lawyer is gonna find out like where the moneys stashed.
Carl

Post by Carl »

bob lico wrote:peter and carl the boat is no big deal however the ladies room (not calling it a head) appeals to the women. i feel it smooths out the there interpretation of a fishing boat.i don`t need a wine and cheese boat to make wife,daughter in law,and daughter happy just a private" bathroom "with sink.easy to live with trust me!!

It's a pretty big deal to update a 1960's boat interior to something modern while keeping a traditional look.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

carl we have quite a few talented people in there respective fields on this board. although you should make a total picture of what you what to do to your 31 bertram try not to get overwhelm like the interior one piece at a time. i loved the look of the epai wood used as a border around floorboards,cabinet, draws,doors without the advice of Buju on how to prep.this exotic wood prior to varnish . the varnish would have peel off long ago.what i found strange is the design fault of the original interior on the fbc model that is how the hell do you live with the fact that the cabin door and head door hit each other when they open.the children left the cabin door open when they came out of head the two door wedge . the 4year old was crying while locked in the cabin. ok i was forced to rectify this. i ended up using a insert duel wheels from Anderson brand sliding door and a track overhead in head ----perfect sliding raised panel door to head with latch in closed position for air flow while boat is underway or docked with cabin door open or shut. my first error was to use a guide and track . the door would bounce out of track in rough seas. now why do i make this long post because somebody else with small children will run into same situation and i have the answer and so does captain patrick with rounded door to head. i am not saying the average guy is going to install a composite window and remove old glass one. that is one hell of a job i broke my ball until i resorted to hydraylic piston to make composite windshield conform to deck raised area.this board is like a third hand or a guide on doing it right the first time from guys whom have done it themselves.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Harv

Post by Harv »

Damn Carl,

How come I didn't see you in Greenport, and how come you didn't order shirts??
Harv
Carl

Post by Carl »

Harv wrote:Damn Carl,

How come I didn't see you in Greenport, and how come you didn't order shirts??

Harv, no shirts because up till Friday afternoon I wasn't going to be able to make it to Greenport. Having a shirt would have be a tease...like one Potato Chip.

Ya didn't see me...we spoke, our kids were playing together during and after dinner. We spoke again as my daughter was pulling the raffle tickets out of the bucket. I guess we do need name tags. Just so you know for next time, I'll be the guy that looks like me. ;)
Carl

Post by Carl »

bob lico wrote:carl we have quite a few talented people in there respective fields on this board. although you should make a total picture of what you what to do to your 31 bertram try not to get overwhelm like the interior one piece at a time.
Bob,
We have a lot more then a few talented people here and I have received tons of valuable information from this site.

That said, your pocket door is a fantastic idea and nicely executed. We no longer lock the cabin door open as we bungee the handles of both door together. With the head door closed the cabin door stays open and when you open the door to the head, the cabin door opens in tandem...not perfect but a down and dirty fix.

I have lots of plans of what I'd like to do from Interior to Exterior Cosmetics to Re-power...but time and money get in the way these days.
So for now I'm real happy just keeping the boat in shape and running well.

Carl
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Carl it was really nice to finally meet you in person.....we have talked several times via the WEB but face to face is much more personal....and you have a lovely family.....nice to meet all of you guys

Harry
hb
Carl

Post by Carl »

Harry,
I feel the same way, face to face is so much more! Loved meeting you and your family!

I wish I had more time so we could have sat and chewed the fat a bit, sipped a JD or a Wild Turkey, but we crammed alot into one day and I'm happy for that.

Also wish it was a week I was not working 14 hr days pushing out jobs, so we could close for vacation. (Yesterday was our official last Day, today I'm here just finishing up what remained.) I would have liked to have had you and yours out on "The Boat" for a personal tour of my area. First year being a sole owner definitely has its pitfalls, not being able to leave is one of them...one I really need to work on.

How was the tour of the Statue, get to see a Play? The Statue is truly something...the Plays I think can be over-rated unless its a real good one and I think they are far and few in between...although driving in Manhattan is an experience in itself. I really don't know how Doreen worked there everyday...

Again, really great to finally meet in person!

Carl
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

The new Bahia moon is really beautiful. Jr is some captain.

Unfortunately I spent little time with Dug, Bob and Harry. I guess that's the downside of doing a day trip.
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

A picture of me on here !!! ... so much for my witness protection program

:-D
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Bertramp wrote:A picture of me on here !!! ... so much for my witness protection program

:-D
Busted....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Damn! And I didn't even say hello to you. That does it...Name tags with screen names have to be mandatory at all Rendezvous! Happened with Sim, too. If he hadn't introduced himself, i would have thought he was someone's dinner guest! Walter
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

mike was among the missing what happen? i wanted you to tell dug about the recent prop change.are you using your boat much?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Walter K wrote:Damn! And I didn't even say hello to you. That does it...Name tags with screen names have to be mandatory at all Rendezvous! Happened with Sim, too. If he hadn't introduced himself, i would have thought he was someone's dinner guest! Walter
Walter, sorry I missed you too....and East Hampton to Sag Harbor to Montauk ... we're neighbors !!
......nametags
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Steve, Great to put a face to the name and boat..had a great time talkn bertrams and meeting the new guys and sharing war stories with the gang. Neil great riding and beautiful Bahia Mar...and Jr at the wheel, He can run my boat any time..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Harv

Post by Harv »

sim wrote:
Harv, no shirts because up till Friday afternoon I wasn't going to be able to make it to Greenport. Having a shirt would have be a tease...like one Potato Chip.
I am still able to make more shirts if you'd like any...and I'll be happy to bring them to Staten Is. for you.

sim wrote:Ya didn't see me...we spoke, our kids were playing together during and after dinner. We spoke again as my daughter was pulling the raffle tickets out of the bucket. I guess we do need name tags. Just so you know for next time, I'll be the guy that looks like me. ;)
Yeah, I did talk to a guy that looked like you....just didn't realize that you, were you!! Remind me next time, I suffer from severe brain farts!!
Harv