Insulation Adhesive

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tom

Insulation Adhesive

Post by Tom »

Putting in soundown this weekend or next. I've epoxied mechanical fasteners every 2 square feet or so to the glass. How about adhesive suggestions for the glass to soundown bond?-Tom
Viva la Presidente!
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

3M spray contact cement. The mechanical fastners really do the job; but the 3M will help prevent sagging. 3M alone will not get the job done even on small sections.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Beat me to the punch, Charlie....

Tom,

3M Heavy Duty spray adhesive... Spray both surfaces and apply the sound down while the adhesive is still tacky. Don't let it dry out first like you would with contact cement. Home Depot or Lowes both carry it.

Br,

Patrick
JGomber

Post by JGomber »

Tom,
The 3M adhesive worked perfectly for me, too.
You can bend the mounting pins TWICE and then they'll break. Just take my word for it!
It helps to have someone assist in aligning the sections of Soundown material as you mount it. Keep an eye on the pins to assure that they are straight and fully puncture the foam-lead sandwich. Careful, they puncture skin, too.
You might want to apply the tape as a wrap-around on the edges before you instal the sections. This makes them a little more rigid and easier to handle.
Jerry
Jerry, Triton II
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Post by Dave Kosh R.I.P. »

Yea Tom. just make sure you use the heavy duty 3M vinyl adhesive otherwise it will fall off from the heat. Also on the soundown most people do not know that you can buyit a little cheaper from Lewis Marine Supply. It is manufactured under the name of Southern Marine Products. That is what Bertram uses now in there new yachts. Our Bertram parts buddy shared this information with me! It's the same stuff. Good luck and use the buttons and sticks. They work great . i just epoxied them after just a dab of super glue first. Dave K
Keep Fishing...
Tom

Post by Tom »

Thanks guys. Just returned from HD. Instead of their fasteners, I'm epoxying bolts to the glass every 2 ft square or so and using fender washers and nuts. Overkill I'm sure. Also, my mechanic sold me the material at $40 a sheet for the one inch. I think that's pretty cheap, but not sure so don't tell me if its high. A/C guy who I fish with is moving the A/C unit right now. He's a bit hungover from partying with Ernesto last night come to find out. New 8" exhaust goes in Tuesday and motors soon after. Looks like we might be ready for wahoo at the Flower Gardens by February. Thanks again for your help.
Viva la Presidente!
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

$40.00?? I paid $18.00 at the factory, which is just down the street. The mech probably knows your one of those flush bookies, like that andre guy.........
scot

Post by scot »

Timmy,
I hope your not kiddin around about the $18 bucks a sheet, "right down the road"... because I'm gonna need a fair amount of that stuff on my current project.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

Scot, the factory is in salem/beverly, just down the street. PM me a # and we'll chat
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Wait until you see the freight bill.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
randall

Post by randall »

mike...i like the boat link...can i have one?