Dry Weight

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

SteveM

Dry Weight

Post by SteveM »

Can anyone tell me the weight of a 31 Sportfish? I'm looking into where to haul the boat in August and they need my weight. Thanks.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Big question is - what is in it for power, gas or diesel? genset? Again Gas or diesel? Fuel capacity?

All add weight. It could be as light as 11,000lbs, could be pushing 14,000.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Advertised dry weight is 10,300# but that's factory new with gas engines. As Tom says, depends......for example, the Cat 3208 option adds a good bit as they weigh 2,200# EACH with gear.

Anyway, tell 'em 10,300.

UV
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Steve,

Mine weighed 12,000 lbs. in the sling with Yanmars, fuel, and all the junk on the boat.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

phoenix weight in at 13,200 pound without fishing equipment,ice, food stuff, beer,deep sea anchor,chain line.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

It has the original 427's, gassers. I can run the fuel down low prior to hauling....
Steve Marinak
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Steve,
Figure with all your gear on board right around 13,000 pounds. with a 100 gallons of gas @6.33 pounds per gallon 633 pounds. Water is just over 8 pounds per gallon 18x 8 = 144 pounds.
Pete
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Pete's right on with your setup.

If your hauling for storage don't forget to flush the engines with fresh water and close the thru hulls.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Bruce, I should be hauling it out 1st week of August. I'll speak to you prior to then.

I believe the yard has a forklift only. They pull another 31 FBC and feel comfortable with the weight, however they asked about the dive platform being in the way.

Has anyone on the board pulled their boat on a forklift with a dive platform?
Steve Marinak
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Dry weight on my 28 was advertised at 12,060 lbs. It has a platform and has been on a forklift at least 25 times. Contact points for the forks are only a couple of feet under the engines. I have never seen the area of the rudder posts touching the forks, it was always several inches up above the forks. They rest completely different on forks than outboard boats do. At least mine does anyways.
Make sure forklift driver does not pinch the props when bringing it up. My guys got to know my boat very well and were good at it.
Bruce Sweet

Post by Bruce Sweet »

I have a 31 with 6bt's and a full dive platform- 36" aft of the transom and have hauled at my marina in Tequesta with their Wiggins 20,000lb. forklift numerous times [ some of which could not possibly be boat-operator induced ha-ha] with no problem at all. Call me at 561-262-6974 if you need any more info. Bruce
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Thanks Kevin and Bruce, good info.
my dive platform is somewhat short, certainly not 36".
I will be over there next week and they want me to come by with the boat to give it a try prior to August.
Steve Marinak
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Steve,
At my shop all we had was a fork lift. I've hauled a dozen 31's with no issues. Although on everyone I was there directing the driver. Half had swim platforms.

The caveat is how long the forks are and whether they feel they can get the weight back close enough to the mast.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

The Duchess has been hauled for the season. We had success with the fork lift, although it did teeter/totter a bit until they tilted it back. Flushed engines with fresh water, gave her a good cleaning and covered her up. We got a nice spot directly below the lighthouse adjacent to a rock wall that is taller than the boat. Any wind from the East or SE won't be an issue. We got to run the boat quite a bit, some learning experiences for sure. Bruce's knowledge on these boats & engines is unsurpassed. But I'm sure you all know that.

Looking down from the lighthouse.

And lastly, just for kicks, a table for two please...
Steve Marinak
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Steve, she looks as pretty out of the water as in, enjoyed our time together, my best to the family,see you nextbtime we run over,Bill & Shell
Bill
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Good deal Steve.

Went fishing out of the pocket yesterday, saw 4 31's two behind houses, one in a marina and one, Blue Baron on its way out to collect sea water in some tanks.

Fishing was lousy live bait drift got a small shark thats it.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Steve,

Your 31 looks great.......nice bugs also!

Tommy