Autopilots

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

wmachovina

Autopilots

Post by wmachovina »

Ok,after 500 mi. Running around the Abacos I realize I really need an autopilot,I have large rudders but still have the original , but renewed cable steering. At a min I need heading hold, nav coupling is not a must. The next on the wanna list is radar, crossing alone is ok but a picture of the buildups would be nice. I can add Sirius to my furuno but can now appreciate the need for real radar, thanks folks
Bill
conchy joe

Post by conchy joe »

I just added autopilot to mine. I got a complete Hynautic system, ram, helm pump, reservoir, pressure relief valve off craigslist for $400.00. It cost me about $200.00 in hoses/fittings, worked great.
Troy & Daria

28 Bertram FBC, 3.9 Cummin BT's

Conchy Joe "ITS THE BOAT'S NAME, NOT MINE" -
Hypoluxo Point, FL
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

My view is the Seastar hyd. steering is better because it does not have the pressurized canister that must be kept pumped up. Seastar is plenty strong for the B31 and real simple to install and plumb into an autopilot. I have the SiTex SP-70 autopilot which I put in back in the early 90s and it still works fine. SiTex has not changed it in all these years which I guess is an indication of a good product? And its pretty inexpensive as pilots go. Its capable of coupling to a GPS but I rarely use that feature, mostly just use the course hold and click a degree port or stb. now and then to keep the cross track bearing centered....keeps me awake on long hauls.

UV
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Bill,
I would go with the Sea Star HH5742 with the tilt wheel unit it's a closed system, no need for the pump up can. An AP16 from Simrad is a good auto pilot, good size read-out numbers so you don't have to keep putting you glasses on and off. I'm suprised that the old teleflex push/pull cable lasted this long. I'm still in Stuart, had another knee clean out July7 didn't do much good still hurts and swells up everyday. Don't look like I'm going to Salem this year.
Pete
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61