Thanks to Brews Bucket

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Pay no attention to the meowing, just watch for fins........
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

If you are considering a rebuild, you might want to move up to the 496's. Reset the clock with modern engines - fuel injection, closed cooling, electronic ignitiion. This set up is said to get much better gas mileage than the carbed 454s. Something to consider if you plan to keep the boat for the long term. In the past it was almost always cheaper to rebuild yourself, but now you can buy a new engine for about the same price as a complete re-man with all new parts.

27 year old raw water blocks may have significant corrosion that has reduced the cylinder wall thicknesses. Have them sonic-checked before you bore. I had this problem with a small block that was much younger than yours, but the 454's have thicker cylinder walls.
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Guys - I'm a CX dealer but don't stock anymore. I can have the factory drop ship case lots or gallons direct to you. I can give you about 25% off the quoted retail price, plus shipping. I would just bill you via eamil and you send me a check. If I get stiffed, ....well, stiffing a lawyer can have somewhat unpleasant consequences. But the Faithfuls' credit is good with me.

Most of us spray our mechanicals -engines, gears, etc - down once of twice a year with CX mixed 50/50 with lacquer thinner shot out of a pump bottle. The aerosol is indeed the most handy...I like the small cans the best, but the larger ones are a better value. The regular CX is in the red can and the HD is in a green can. The HD is good for coating stuff like rudder flange bearings and the red for everything else. They also make an aviation CX in a blue can but I'm pretty sure its the same as the red can stuff.

Anyway, I'll be happy to accomidate any of the Faithful who I know or have someone I know vouch for them.

Send me an email at royvictor@cox.net

UV
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Thanks Vic! Not sure if I need vouching for or not.

Before I shoot you an email I will offer up now. Does anyone else attending the Greenport rendezvous or living on long island want me to bulk an order together?

I'll give it 48 hours before emailing Vic.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

CamB25 wrote:If you are considering a rebuild, you might want to move up to the 496's. Reset the clock with modern engines - fuel injection, closed cooling, electronic ignitiion. This set up is said to get much better gas mileage than the carbed 454s. Something to consider if you plan to keep the boat for the long term. In the past it was almost always cheaper to rebuild yourself, but now you can buy a new engine for about the same price as a complete re-man with all new parts.

27 year old raw water blocks may have significant corrosion that has reduced the cylinder wall thicknesses. Have them sonic-checked before you bore. I had this problem with a small block that was much younger than yours, but the 454's have thicker cylinder walls.
This may get me a bit off topic and spark some other comments.

The short of it is the port motor has already been rebuilt. So I'm only talking about needing to possibly do one engine, we will see what happens when I have a closer look taken in the fall (Bruces suggestions).

The long range plan is hopefully this will buy me enough seasons with the exisisting gas motors. While I have no where near the funds to convert to 250 cummns right now, ultimately that is the direction I'd like to head.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Peter- I have never used CX but would like to give it a try. Just a few cans for me.

John

-By the way Peter, we went out yesterday, left the dock at 8:00 AM and had nice tuna and dolphin all day starting about 6 miles SE of the NA buoy. Fish and life all over. Trolled almost to the Virginia but all the action, and life, were in closer. Back at the dock at 3:45 and cooked some fresh fish for dinner.
Dug

Post by Dug »

John,

CX stinks to high heaven but it works well. Very well.

The boat smells like a refinery for a bit, but as I said, it does work very well.

And Mike, I used to have a friend who said that cats in a burlap bag tossed over the side did a great job of attracting sharks. Even better than chum.

That being said, I cannot imagine doing that. And neither could he. It was a story being re-told.

D
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Now we know the secret to Mean Team's success!! LOL!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I'm in California right now, collecting bait. I heard that there was a ferral cat explosion out here.

Shipping back a container load......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Time is up. I am going to get a case of 16oz red cans.

John and Walter let me know how many you want. If I get it in time I will bring to Greenport otherwise we will have a reason to meet up.

I will bring the case to Greenport if I have it, anyone else is welcome to them for whatever the cost is. If I run out I will order more for myself.

Pete
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

peter
ill take a can or 2 from you if you have it at greenport.
1968 hull # 316 - 757
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Charlie,

If I don't get it in time my office is in unuondale.

I think I can be convinced to meet you for lunch on the nautical mile.

Pete
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Peter-I'll take 3 at least.