How to stay cool...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Dug

How to stay cool...

Post by Dug »

It has been pretty warm here over the past day or two. Today, the car said a solid 102 and that was in the shade. Not all that normal up here in NE, but it is summer after all, and it is better than the snow in my book.

But it is still hot. So, here is my lesson on how to stay cool.

I got down to CT and wanted to check on the boat forthwith. It has been two weeks since I have been down. So I zipped over. Seems the power has been re-wired for the dock and the breaker is not big enough anymore, so the house battery is useless as tits on a bull. So I tried to get it work, and it was a no go. Nope, not to the stay cool part yet. So I drove to the house and grabbed the trusty Honda generator, and set it up. No worries. I left for about a half an hour, then came back to check on her. It had tripped the overload switch on the genset, and that didn't really surprise me, but I needed another option now. So, seeing that there was an open slip behind me on the main dock, I elected to drive the boat over there, and plug her in for the night. Started up, and over I went. Once she was plugged in, guzzling her new power and tied up temporarily, I walked around the harbor to get the bike. Nope, not cool yet. I grabbed the genset, and rode home balancing it on the top bar of the bike and got it back into the garage. Then I wanted to go check the boat one more time, so I rode back down to the main dock. I was sweaty by now, so the breeze felt good.

I got to the dock, made most of the turn onto the dock on the bike, and realized, most is like almost. Only works with horseshoes, hand grenades and nuclear bombs. It does not work with turns. So, over the handlebars I went, right into the harbor. Splash! One of my flops bobbed to the surface right next to me. The water was not all that deep, and it was as soft muddy bottom I plunked myself into next to the dock, and I had a good chuckle as I climbed out of the water. Checked the cell, and keys, all good. Damn I wish that got caught on video!

But it didn't. And I am nice and cool now!

Good chuckle to share with the buddies. Usually I make that corner too....

:)
randall

Post by randall »

how did your cell survive? i just drowned mine for the third time.

i stayed cool yesterday by surfing a remote spot with two other guys most of the day. all that was missing were the palm trees. pretty toasty out.
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

It's cooler here in FLA. !! ... let me re-phrase ... the temperature is not as hot !!
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Dug

Post by Dug »

Randall, by the grace of god or whomever, it did not get wet. It wasn't fully immersed!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Dug,
Thanks for the tip on staying Cool...think I'll stick with a Cannonball into the pool.

Glad it turned out alright...that could have been a pretty dangerous fling over the handlebars.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I think sparing your cell phone was just good karma for keeping your sense of humor... or maybe that was not breaking your neck... either way, well done!
How's the bike?
Possunt quia posse videntur
Dug

Post by Dug »

I should have taken a shot of the bike. It was laid right over the corner between the dock and sea wall as though someone placed it there ever so gently. It didn't even get splashed.

I couldn't do it again the same way if I tried. In fact, if I tried, I would probably kill myself!

It was damned funny and I really do wish there was a witness!

D
randall

Post by randall »

i drowned my last cell phone last week when caren and i are sitting at a remote beach and a B31 goes by. i stand up and wade out a little and the boat stops and turns around. i figure he recognizes me so i wade out a bit more. by the time i realize we dont know each other my pocket with phone is under water......just plain dumb. boat was from oyster bay.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Randall, we are indeed brothers. Bertrams will do that to you. I wouldn't have gone off the dock if it were not for mine...

LOL!!!!
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Dug:

I was on vacation last week -- on the Friday going into vacation I got into my car in our company parking lot -- the outside temp indicated 111 -- after cruising for 10 miles with AC on full tilt, it cooled off to a frigid 101. The record high that day was 103 true air temp.

Anyhow, apparently Sweden doesn't anticipate such heat as my ignition decided to no longer function. Fortunately I had made it to the beach house and had parked in a spot not blocking any family vehicles. The key would go in, but the switch would not rotate at all. First I tried the magic potion and gave the switch a dose of Corrosion X and a slight tap with rubber mallet -- 24 hours later, no bueno still. So on Monday I called the dealer -- they didn't think the heat caused it, but said it is all computer chip controlled in the key and the ignition switch. Since I have 4 keys (all with chips) they ordered the new switch for me from the factory and had them program it to match my keys (I guess the keys are expensive otherwise). Came in this morning, 45 minutes later, I am back functioning.

Heat, it isn't always a good thing!

Tom
Dug

Post by Dug »

I'm glad you didn't drive the car into the harbor!
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Me too! There are worse things than being stranded at the beach house with only a bicycle to use on vacation. Since a prior stop included both groceries and package store, there was no need for a vehicle. I wonder -- does your marina have a webcam? Maybe you are on Youtube and don't know it!