Yanmar repower finally complete

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Eddy G

Yanmar repower finally complete

Post by Eddy G »

Well, after a long wait for my prop shafts, we finished up everything on Sunday and launched her yesterday morning (a great new years day for me). Unbelievably, all of my wiring and new VDO gauges worked!!!! We spun the new 240's a few times with the stop button depressed to get the juices flowing. Then they lit right up on the the first crank. Sea trialed them for about three hours up and down the Tickfaw River. (Sorry I missed your party Vic, but the rain Saturday set us back a day) Thanks to everyone here for their input and especially Bill Fuller for your prop information. The 18 x 19 three blades w/ #3 cup are perfect. After we had about two hours of various speed running, I very briefly ran them up to full throttle where the Aetnas read 3470 rpm at 30.7 kts and still climbing. The speeds were as follows: 2500 - 20.8 kts, 2600 - 22.2 kts, 2700 - 23.5 kts, 2800 - 24.6 kts, 2900 - 25.5 kts, 3000 - 26.5 kts. The new 5" Vernatone mufflers have a nice quiet tone. I couldn't be happier with these new power plants - it's a shame they are no longer available. By the way, Jason Perry another B-28 owner from New York picked up my running takeouts a couple of Saturdays ago. I'm sure he'll have some questions when he converts his gas Bertram to diesel. Bruce, my owner's manual doesn't address the break-in proceedure. Do you have any recommendations? Thanks again guys for all of your help.
Eddy G.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Eddy - those are teriffic numbers for sure. I hereby concede the race, no way I can keep up with your rocket ship now...

You missed one helluva party highlighted by golf cart races at midnight....it was ugly....

UV
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

Vic: Sorry I missed out. My plan was to finish up on Saturday, launch on Sunday and celebrate it all with you guys. That 4-1/2" monsoon on Saturday shot that plan to hell. I have the boat in my stall at the old camp and may have it there a couple of weeks. We plan to do an in the water realignment; the stbd side has some vibration in gear at idle. Smooths out at 800 rpm. Port side good. Also need to get boost, back pressure and EGT readings for Yanmar Warranty. I'll bring her by your place for your inspection.
Eddy G.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

What gear ratio are you running?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

Mike, I used ZF 63a's at 1.5 to 1 ratio.
Eddy G.
In Memory of Vicroy

Sounds good Eddy. I should be over there by about noon Friday and stay the weekend.

UV
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

Very nice numbers. Doesn't it simply feel like a different boat at 25 or 26 knots? The posture/attack angle changes, the hull seems to come up out of the water a bit, and scenery just flows by.
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

Ernest, it really does feel like a different boat. I used to keep my tabs down quite a bit to level the running angle, but not anymore. And the steering is more responsive. The only disadvantage I anticipate compared to the 170's is running in rough seas. Before at 2900 rpm I was doing 18 kts which the B28 does fine in most conditions. To do 18 kts now, I'll have to back down to 2200 - 2300 rpm which these engine may not be as happy. Thanks again for your help throughout my project.
Eddy G.
Harry Woods

Hyena/Yanny

Post by Harry Woods »

I have a Hyena with Yanmar's in New York if Jason Perry needs any installation guidance.
Hyena Love

Eddy

Post by Hyena Love »

That may be the 64 thousand dollar question for you and me. What are we going to be doing, longer term, running these relatively low rpm ranges under a decent load? More hull in the water and slogging thru the slop.

I think I am going to cut down my props at least 100 rpms up front, get some boost gauges installed, and consider running some exhaust temp gauges.

Running with the hatches off, that turbo don't really start compressing the air until what seems to be the 2500 rpm range or thereabouts. At 18 knots, I am well south of that range.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Bruce, my owner's manual doesn't address the break-in proceedure
They want you to vary rpm for the first 10 or so hours. No high speed wot except to check top rpm for props.
No sustained wot till the 50 hour breakin oil change and engine check.
That's what the book says.

Don't forget to change gear oil and filter at the 50 hour mark and check every nut, bolt and wire connection.
Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

Sounds like a real rocket ship.
Jim
1975 28 FBC
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

Thanks Bruce. My yard guy said basically the same thing, but I never saw anything in writing. I'm suprised my book didn't have a chapter on break in. Ernest, if the weather lets us, we are suppose to check the boost and egt readings this Saturday. I'll get some numbers at those lower rpms. Harry, I'll let Jason know you are nearby and available for questions. He's doing a major restoration and I'm not sure when he plans to install the engines.
Eddy G.
Bill Fuller

Post by Bill Fuller »

Eddy

Sounds like you are one happy Hyena owner! And everything has come together very nicely. The numbers look great, I will be interested to know what your boost numbers are at varous RPM, especially 2500 up to 3000. As you know I am propped a bit lighter than you with 18 x 18 medium cup NiBrAls. I probably also run a lot heavier. I dont think you will have any trouble at lower RPM. These motors really pull hard from about 2000 on up. I often cruise for long periods of time at 15-16 knots, night running, with no apparent ill effects. Just use the trim tabs to optimize performance.

At 2200-2500 the boost is already up significantly. Under load, boost starts to come up at about 1500-1700 RPM. If the turbo does not turn, the engine will not rev above about 1600-1700 RPM, under load, even with the other motor pulling hard. And lots of black smoke. I know this because several years ago I had one of the turbos "stick". I spun the turbo by hand, with what seemed like normal resistance and then all was well and has been ever since. Apparently, a very small amount of something, maybe corrsion, prevented the turbo fromm turning.

One thing I would strongly recommend for both you and Ernest is to get a set of the S&B air filters that Tony Athens now has available for these motors. Eddy, I am sure you have seen the pictures of mine on boatdiesel.com. If either of you would like pictures let me know.

I am approaching 7 years with the 4LHA-STEs and I am still as ahppy as ever and I am sure that you and Ernest will both feel the same as time goes by. I only have one regret regarding the motos and that is that they only have about 1700 hours at this point.

Best of luck to both of you, and please keep us posted on how things are going.

Ernest, any updates on your boat?

Bill
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

Shamefully, I am only at something like 18 hours. Performance has been great, but other than a couple trips thru the jetties, all the hours have been in the Intercoastal. No real details on fuel burn yet, simply because I have burned so little.
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

Bill

I plan to get some of Tony's air filters. I never have thought much of the factory installed foam jobs. Glad to hear that low rpm running hasn't been an issue. That was my biggest concern with the 240's and the biggest assett of the 170's. Prop wise, I ended up getting the Michigan DJX Nibrals. They seem to really grab when coming on plane. Thanks again for all of your help and as soon as I do a little touch up paint work in the engine room I'll shoot you some pics.
Eddy G.
Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

Eddy,

Not to take anything away from Tony's air filters, I ordered them but would not fit my application (170'S). I ended up with universal K&N's.

If you'd like pics I'll e-mail them.
Jim
1975 28 FBC
In Memory of Vicroy

Eddy brought the new & improved Hyena by our camp yesterday afternoon and the new engines look great and are incredibly quiet. We had a nice visit and a few drinks with he & his girl friend. Lotta fun on the Tickfaw, warm & sunny.

Heading to Miami Beach Wed. for a week with the Bride and the anti-Q show.....

UV
joelmcquen

fuel burn numbers on the 4 cyl yannies

Post by joelmcquen »

seems like everyone is running new 4 cyl yanmars anyone got any fuel consumption numbers yet i am repowering my 28 and cant dedcide on 4cyl or 6cyl need range and i hate to burn alot of fuel
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I run the 230 Yanmars in my 31. I get about 1.6 nautical MPG.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
joelmcquen

31 WITH 230 YANMAR

Post by joelmcquen »

mike what speed do you cruise at with your 230 hps