B 28 tank removal

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ted_R

B 28 tank removal

Post by Ted_R »

Hello all, been a long time since I've been on the site. Managed to get my 28' bert sold, but I am repairing things for the new owner, mainly top end engine o'haul and gas tank replacement, due to "you-know-what" !!
Gas tank tabbing is cut, tank ready to pull out, but I can't figure out how to grab it ! The two fg lifting eyes don't appear strong enough, tank doesn't want to move at all, no place for pry bars, etc, bottom of tank not accessible from either end. I drilled some 1"holes in the two glassed on verticle wood strips that support the deck, was going to run some rope thru those and attempt to pull tank using neighbors davit. Anyone tried this method ? Any other suggestions ? I've searched the site, can't find any procedure applicable to my installation ( 1975 165 gal tank ).
:cry:
""Procrastinate now!"
John F.

Post by John F. »

I pulled the tank up on my B31 because I was trying to save the aft bulkhead. I wound up replacing the aft bulkhead anyway. I put a couple of 4x4s across, and pulled up using the holes in the tank from the fill and sending unit. I didn't care if I tore the tank up--it was garbage anyway. It worked, but took awhile, and the tank came out intact. Put pressure on it, and leave it overnight, put some more, repeat.

Again, it worked, but wasn't worth it for me because I cut the bulkhead out anyway.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Ted_R

I used the hole from the siphon tube and took a 6 foot chain with a steel hook on it and hooked it down into the hole, then attached the other end to my lift and lifted until the boat was about to come off the water. I left it there for an hour and eventually, it broke loose. Then since I was doing the job myself, I cut the tank up in small pieces so I could put them out by the curb for pickup.

I makes a hell of a noise when it starts breaking loose.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

I did this on my B28 about a year ago and I could not get it out in one piece. I had the gantry setup over top and a 2 ton hoist and tried with strapping and it would not budge.

I guess it might have gone if I persisted but didnt like the amount of pressure I was exerting so I decided to just cut it out.

There was a big blob of resin goop on the bottom holding it in place and its the old fashioned stuff that might as well be solidified lava.

It was a tough nasty smelly job considering my tank was gelling from the damage of ethanol.

PM me if you have any questions you can call me if you want.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
John F.

Post by John F. »

My B31 tank was just set in foam. Not tabbing or adhesive, and it was still pretty stubborn.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Ted_R

Post by Ted_R »

Thanks for the tips guys.
Dick: I'll try your method today, if i can get the aft deck under the lift. Low tide is 9pm today. I'll have to use rope instead of chain, as there is still a bit of gas still in the tank and I don't want a spark !! :shock:
Does anyone know the approx weight of the empty tank ?
""Procrastinate now!"
scenarioL113

Post by scenarioL113 »

At first I tried a pressure treated 4x4 across the top and a floor jack as my lifting ram and it broke the 4x4 in half.

Be careful, there is a lot of pressure torque building up when using hyrdaulic jacks or hoists with mechanical advantage.
1971 28 Bertram
4BT Cummins

Frank

9-11-01 NEVER FORGET
Ted_R

Post by Ted_R »

Well the lift tied to the two wood deck supports on the top of the tank did not move the tank one iota!! I'll try again tomorrow.
Dick: what did you use to cut yours up ? I have a sawsall, but can't use electric tool, still a little gas left in tank. I used a very small air powered saw to cut the tabbing, but it would take forever to cut the whole tank out.
Ideas, anyone?
""Procrastinate now!"
Ted_R

Post by Ted_R »

Well I'm not having much luck with pm's (to sceneiroL113) or email (to skipper dick) thru this site, so if you guys read this, please either email me @ srqradtkes@msn.com or phone 941-730-2020.
Thanks for your help
Ted R
""Procrastinate now!"
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Ted_R,

Once I got the tank loose and was sure there wre no more fumes to explode, I used a sawzall to cut it up. I used copius amounts of hot water and dqwn to flush out the tank before doing anything.
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon