Shinnecock Sharking Advice

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

Shinnecock Sharking Advice

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Hey guys was planning on taking out my boat to go sharking on the fly tomorrow. As it turns out I'm not all that comfortable that the boat is running good enough to make the run without worry. Another story.

In any case my buddy that I am making the trip with just moved his boat, 23 regulator out to new Suffolk and hasn't done an offshore trip through shinnecock yet. Looking at the sea gull chart the Coimbra seems to be the nearest most popular sharking area.

I'm thinking of bagging the trip on my boat and heading out of shinnecock on his boat any suggestions with 25 miles or so besides the Coimbra

40"23.2
72"21.5

?
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Take a heading of 160 degrees. Go until the water is 160 feet deep (about 12 miles). Stop. Chum. Fish.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

In the month of June and into early July we have bagged Mako to 600 lbs at the Coimbra. Close enough to run in if you are not comfy from either Shinnecock or FI inlets.

Also very large Tiger (450 lbs) and Thresher

Very good choice.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Thanks guys.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Mike is telling you where I would have said to go.
Harv

Post by Harv »

I agree with Mike & Brew, even though I have fished the Coimbra many times.
Harv
marty

Post by marty »

that is my secret spot for makos
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

A shark tournament out of Shinnecock yesterday was won by a 300 plus thresher. Small mako about 125 got second. Lots of life and a few hookups. Action was in close from 145 degrees-145 feet to 160 degrees-160 feet. Great for fuel burn when you are 11 to 15 miles from the inlet.
Harry
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

If you're fly fishing, you want the 30-80 lb ones that will put on a show for you and are landable for tagging. Unlike Blue Sharks, I have found the Makos dart in and out of the slick rather than lazily swim through it. Our trick is to prep some hookless Mackerel as teasers. Put one out about 30-50 ft from the boat but completely visible to you. One person is assigned to that conventional rod and reel. Once a mako appears (he may even fake you out and blind hit it when you're not looking, leaving with a taste), you reel what's left slowly in. If he rushes for it, yank it out of the water completely and cast the fly behind the fish and strip. What usually happens is the fish is now searching for what he bit, sees the moving fly and hits it going away. If they're around, you'll need a few mackerel. The original bait and switch. Don't even bother with the Blue Sharks as you'll be on one for a lot of valuable fishing time. They'll roll when running and screw up your expensive fly lines on their sandpaper skin. In fact, given that distance casting is not necessary here, use your older lines for this kind of tackle abusive fishing. Your 20 lb tippet will break before your line will. Good luck!
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Walter:

It is obvious that you were a major player in Advertising and Public Relations -- because you just said an awful lot, with very few words! Great tips! Thanks,

Tom
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Thanks Tom. I try to live by an old quote from George Washington. When writing a lengthy letter to a friend, he wrote, "if I had had more time I'd have written a shorter letter".
Carl

Post by Carl »

walterk wrote:Thanks Tom. I try to live by an old quote from George Washington. When writing a lengthy letter to a friend, he wrote, "if I had had more time I'd have written a shorter letter".

I like that quote!