bulkhead tabing

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

coolair

bulkhead tabing

Post by coolair »

Ok.
I know this topic has been talked about over and over, but i cant kind the answer to my question and for some reason i am drawing blanks.

I am installing my aft engine bulkheads. I know 1708 is the way to go for tabbing, but how many layers and if more than one, in what order
If my first layer is as Capt. Pat said 4" on hull and 4" on bulkhead, whats the second layer? Larger or smaller?

Another question..the original engine stringers had steel angle iron brakets connecting them to the bulkhead. repeat this with stainless or fiberglass?
Thanks
Matt
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Thums Up

Post by Thums Up »

I did my bulkheads with a 10" 1708 then 8" 1808 and 6" 1708. The 1808 is on a 90 degree bias and the other 45. The different bias help provide better strenght. Widest is always first and then go thinner.
http://Www.GT-lures.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Matt,
Ditto on the big first, I did 8" 1708, 6" roven, 4" 1708, peel n ply on top for a slick finish that helps remove that pesky blush if your using epoxy. Dont forgot the big fat fillet first cabosil, high density and micro fibers all mixed up to a peanut butter paste, no sharp corners at the bulkhead to hull connection. Capt Pat has whole section on his tips about this. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

I had thought that you started off small 4" then 6" and finialy 8" . So that each layer bonds to both sides not just it self.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
coolair

Post by coolair »

thanks guys.
Bob, i did the fillet, and have done one 8" layer. Will sand and do a couple more.
Bob, btw i keep looking at your pics, your work is outstanding
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854