Bluefin Tuna -- NJ

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CHolgerson

Bluefin Tuna -- NJ

Post by CHolgerson »

I fished the chicken canyon area Sunday with my brother and two friends. We left manasquan inlet at 2 am and had lines in at 4:30am. We went 7 for 9 on bluefin ranging from 20 - 80 lbs, keeping one and releasing the others. Surprise of the day was raising and hooking a 200lb class blue marlin, eventually lost the fish to a clean cut leader. I am guessing the bill or tail got it. All of the fish ate green machines, naked ballyhoo, and skirted ballyhoo. Water was 62 degrees and dirty. We called it quits and were back at the dock by noon. Craziest 4 hours of fishing I have ever seen.

Chris Holgerson
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Chris, sounds like you had a nice day, even got some heavier fish than we did.

I should have mentioned that ours were on green too both spreader bar rig and stright green-machine.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Chris, Sounds like a great day on the water...those blues can part lines in a hurry when they kick it into "go", we had one cross the spread and sliced through all 8 other lines like, butta. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
neil

Post by neil »

we went 7 for 7 yesterday,the new boat can catch
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Monday went 24 bluefin to 50#.