Was quoted around 2000.00 to remove old paint gelcoat from rubrail
Down including bottom of boat

Any negatives

Thanks in advance
Spencer
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Spencer

I have never had it done or been around when it was done.....but my sentiments right now are to pay him the $2000 that he is asking for and give him another 50 GRAND.....to put it back on and get it finished......LOL....just I'm being a smart ass.....

Seriously.....after the Gel Coat is gone your gonna have to deal with thousands of "PIN HOLES" in the fiberglass.......I am just getting past the "Pin Hole" part....what a real pain.....

hb
hb
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Spencer,

The first red flag for me is the price. That's way cheap for a quality job.

If the mechanic has a GelPlane, a tool specifically designed for removing gelcoat, it can be a very efficient way to do a dastardly job. But get references and check out the quality of the guy's work before you let him loose on your boat. Without proper training and attention to detail, someone can do more damage than good.

The technique is usually reserved for bottom work and rarely for above waterline hull sides. The hull sides would be better sanded with a dual action sander and only taken down to the point that the gelcoat is just whisper thin, but still there. Once you sand through to fiberglass you open a billion pinholes that now have to filled before painting.

On the bottom, care must be exercised around the chine and lifting strakes. they usually have to be sanded...

Br,

Patrick

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cg2yKRmpaso?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cg2yKRmpaso?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
spencer

Post by spencer »

Capt, thanks for the reply

seemed to good to be true,

The person using it has a gelplane tool and works for viking yachts however a little weary of the potential damage that could be done.

Will follow your recommendation, similar what was done on the topside, taken down with sander , they wetted out with epoxy, then primer.

Spencer
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Spencer,

Call Rick Weiler at Viking. He's a personal friend of mine and the General Manager. Ask him about the guy's skill level.

Keep in mind that if the guy is a contractor to Viking the call should pose no problem for him, but if he's an employee and moonlighting on the side, the call could cost him his job.

I'll say this, if the guy does work for Viking, contractor or employee, he's probably good or he wouldn't be there.

Up to you...

Br,

Patrick
Marlin

gelcoat

Post by Marlin »

craig, didnt u have miami soda blasters do your bottom, go to glue products and buy an ossilating air file , a bunch a#36 and tell Pedro to spend the next week gring the bottom, use a 10" metal drywall trowel and fair out the bottom with mayonaise consistancy ebond epoxy, sand again with the airfile and 100 paper wash with soap and water , barrier coat a multiple of times and leave alone untill u are readdy for bottom coat, that gel coat machine looks like trouble
spencer

Post by spencer »

Marlin,

The bottom has not been done at this time, but will have it soda blasted.

Having to move the boat down to pompano, the yard where I was keeping it apparently was selling stolen motors and I was tipped of that they were in the near future going to lock up the yard, owner has fled.

Are you still in Palm Beach or are you up north.

Craig