Garmin 2010C not picking up satellites

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Garmin 2010C not picking up satellites

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Faithful - the other day I turned my 2010 on and the intro page with the satellites and their signal strength came on as normal, showing plenty of birds and ample signals. A few minutes later I got a "no satellites" message and turned the unit off and back on with the result the intro page says "no satellites detected".....the chart displays normally and the depth sounder funtion works fine, just no position data. The unit is connected to a Garmin 17N GPS sensor antenna. The install manual for the 2010 and the 17N show a one amp fuse in the 12 volt positive conductor to the 17N, and a 5 amp fuse to the 2010. The 4 conductor cable from the 17N (mounted on my half tower top) must connect to the input cable (mucho condutors) for the 2010. I suspect the one amp fuse that supplied power to the 17N sensor is either blown or the fuse holder is corroded, thus causing the sensor to be daid as a hammer.

I did not do the wiring for the 2010 and the 17N - I did the physical install but had SeaTRac Offshore out of New Orleans send a tech (Keith, who is no longer there) to wire it up since I also have the GSD 20 sounder module and was a little uncomfortable doing it myself. Bottom line is I could not find where the one amp fuse for the 17N is located. I'm sorta limited in my ability to swivel my neck under the FB console and in the "attic" above the salon overhead due to Calendar Disease and radiation. I'll be better equipped next trip to remove the jump seats & console doors so I can get a better look, and take my digital camera to shoot blind some pix up under there in hopes of finding the mystery fuze holder. I did shoot some water based bug killer under the console last week to keep the wasps & dirt daubers at bay so may have gottong some on an in-line fuse holder.

Anyway, long story short, does anyone know if the one amp fuze for the 17N sensor/antenna is internal to either the 2010 or the 17N? Or would it be an external fuse added during installation? Or is there some other possible cause of the "no satellite" situation....I have two other GPS units on the FB and they both worked fine, so its not Geo. Bush's fault, yet.

Help?

UV
luis

Post by luis »

A friend of mine has a gps like that and he told me that several things can happen to make that fault :
- Problem with the gps antenna , because its gone bad or the sensor could have the weather seal broken and became bad on the inside.
- The 1A fuse for the antenna goes bad many times and sometimes also the plastic inline fuse on the 12V line for the unit becomes rusty.

My friend says that if the unit come on and the display shows "no satellites" most probably its the antenna (bad) or the fuse 1A for that antenna sensor.

When his gps starts picking only 1 or 2 satellites he also downloaded software updates and solve the problem : (http://www8.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=205)

And he says that both fuses (5A) and (1A) are on the outside lines.
He also send me a pdf with installation where you can see the electrical diagram. I can send it to you.

Hope this helps
All the best
1969 Hull #313-897
In Memory of Vicroy

Thanks, Luis, that's what I figured - both the sensor and the main unit are sealed and weather proof so there is no way to get inside them to change a fuse. I'll just have to track down where the 1 amp fuse is located and if that is not the problem, get another sensor - or find some instructions for testing the old one.

Working on wiring under the fly bridge console makes me wish sometimes I was a foot tall with four foot long arms.

Thanks again Luis,

UV
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Vic- I know it's Memorial day weekend, but perhaps a call to Garmin Customer Service tomorrow Might tell you where to look for that that 1 amp fuse. They may be flooded in the am from all the weekend unit failures, but keep trying.
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

UV, my old 1993 garmin 120 did the same thing in 04 I think. Antenna was bad. Back then I sent it to Garmin and for a flat rate of $50 I think they upgraded the software and new antenna, a great deal since the antenna was 100 itself. Since then garmin changed the policy some what.
Good luck.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
In Memory of Vicroy

Thanks guys....I talked to da Judge in Galveston a little while ago to get some advice about putting a new battery rack in my golf cart (he has the same cart & changed his) and in the course of the conversation I mentioned the Garmin 2010 problem...he has the same unit and just happened to be in his B25 piddling as we talked....he looked at how he hooked his up and confirmed that the one amp fuse for the sensor/antenna is separate from the unit as is the 5 amp for the plotter itsel, so by accident I got a first hand heads up. Never ceases to amaze me what The Faithful know. So I'm now confident there are fuses somewhere in my rat's nest and its just a matter of finding them. If the fuse is not bad then I'll see about a new sensor.

Thanks again Faithful,

UV
In Memory of Vicroy

Finally found all three fuses yesterday - the 5 amp for the plotter itself, the 2 for the sounder box, & the one amp for the antenna. All were good, checked visually and with an ohmmeter. No corrosion either, but shot some CX in all the in line fuse holders, no dice. Inspected the antenna cable for obvious scrapes & breaks, found none, so guess the antenna is bad. I'll order a new one. Guess the unit is about 10 years old.

An issue on my Icom 802 SSB - the control head is on the back of one of the FB console doors so its out of the sun and weather. The curly cord from the control head to the microphone is shedding insulation in chunks, its just crumbling off, leaving the little #22 wires inside exposed. The only thing I can figure is the heat must have gotten to the material that the cord insulation is made of.....but it would get no hotter than a closed up car under there. I'm going to contact Icom for an explanation and replacement. I installed the radio in November 2002 and just noticed the problem yesterday, but have not used the unit in a while.

Any ideas on the Icom mic cord?

Speaking of heat, its been over 100 for days and days here, very unusual. Does not bode well for hurricane season....somebody gonna lose a trailer.

UV
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Sorry to here it wasn't just a fuse UV. We have had head set cords in our fire engines do the same thing. The insulation justs falls off.

What water pump did you put in for the fresh water? I think it was Northern of Harbor ?
1976 FBC
3208 NA
In Memory of Vicroy

Frank - the little pumps were from Northern Tool, got two of them and have installed one in the head sink and it works great. Need to put the other one in the galley sink. Think I paid under $30 each for them, they put out one gal. per minute per the label and have a lot of pressure. I have a clear vinyl hose with a shower head on the end I can hook to the head faucet and use as a shower either in the head of out the rear window into the cockpit.

The doggone GPS 17N sensor is discontinued. The stuff Garmin now has uses the NEMA 2000 data and won't work with the older plotters that use 0182....anyone got an idea what to do? Get the old one fixed? Find a surplus new one? I'll call SeaTrac in New Orleans tomorrow and see what they can come up with.

That's what's happending with the cord, the insulation is just falling off....none of the other cords/wires in the radio and its tuner, etc and doing that, just the curly cord.

UV
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Vic- Give Ebay a shot. Pisses me off all this discontinued stuff. Truth be told, they ALL keep switching their suppliers who stop giving them parts after not receiving the next contract. At the prices they charge you would expect better responses. That cord was probably a better price (for them) and it was "better" because the coating was cheaper. I'm almost ready to surrender. Can't afford the fight any more.
In Memory of Vicroy

C'on Walter, remember, all it takes is time, patience, & money. I looked at eBay and all they have are the newer NEMA 2000 antennas. I did some creative google work and found a brand new Garmin 17N for 189 at Reed's Family Sports....just ordered it and got my fingers crossed they really have it in stock...so far so good. The 17N was discontinued in 2004 and another unit they offered would work, but its now discontinued. I'm hoping Reed's unit is old stock. If they have it I'll try to get my old one fixed for a spare.

As for the mic & cord for the SSB, they are readily available on line for about $75 so I'm probably gonna just order one....lots of dealers are out of them so guess the cord going to hell in a handbag is common.

UV
In Memory of Vicroy

Well, the place I ordered the 17N from called and said the last one had been sold some time ago. But.....they called Garmin and swear the newer 17X HVS model will work, and puts out NEMA 0183 so its on the way. They guarantee it will work so I'll give it a whirl and let y'all know. I'm pretty sure the 17X is discontinued as well, so those of us with good ole plotters that are 10 or 12 years old may be up the creek with a damn short paddle.

UV
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

UV, I look at my old antena to see if it is a 17. It just has a plain gps plug no power.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
In Memory of Vicroy

Some units use a "passive" antenna and all the calculations are done in the main unit, vs. the "active" antennas like the Garmin 17 series that actually are a 'stand-alone' GPS themselves and produce position info to the chart plotter. Thus the power to them.

Sho' hope this new one revives my trusty 2010C.

UV
In Memory of Vicroy

The saga continues....got the new Garmin 17X antenna today and the box has "NEMA 2000" all over it....my Garmin 2010C plotter speaka de NEMA 0183. Called the place that sold the 17X to me, the fast-talking salesman swore Garmin told him it would work, gave me the phone # for Garmin Tech Support....called, got a nice young man who immediately told me NEMA 2000 won't work with my plotter....duhhhhh....but there is a version of the 17X antenna that puts out NEMA 0183 that will work and that Garmin part number is 010-00694-00. He also gave me the wiring color codes to connect the NEMA 0183 17X to my 2010C plotter. So the fast-talking (and slow to listen) salesman is sending me the correct one, or so he says. I bought from this place because they said on line they had a discontinued 17N like my old one, then when it turned out they had sold it, switched me to the 17X, just sold me the wrong one. Apparently any antenna/sensor that outputs 0183 will drive any chartplotter that uses 0183, which is good to know....I have two other GpS units on AJ and one is a Garmin that outputs 0183, then other a "passive" antenna that just feeds the Raytheon GPS unit....but as I understand it, if another unit outputs 0183 positon data, it will dirve any other unit that uses it. Might be good to figure out wiring color codes to have another GPS drive the plotter if its antenna fails in an emergency?

I'd looked on eBay and saw several of the correct 17Xs that put out NEMA 0183 for less money than I paid, but what the heck....I'm going fishing Friday with my son on a friend's 122 foot SF....life is good...I'll fix my plotter when we get back. I'm the cook on this trip in lieu of chipping in for gas, I hope......8,000 gallons, fill 'er up....

UV
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

UV: If that is Pennington you are fishing with tell him "Hello" for me!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
In Memory of Vicroy

Roger that, Rawleigh, we will be on the Mary P fishing the UVI 10 and I smell a winner. Anyone else who wants to enter just let me know.

UV
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

UV:

When competing in anything against you, the smart people know they are playing for second place! Especially the defendant's counsel!
In Memory of Vicroy

Good news, Faithful.....the Garmin 17X HVS GPS anteena/sensor outputs NEMA 0183 and works perfect with my Garmin 2010C plotter...which means it will work with all the older Garmin plotters that use NEMA 0183. I hooked up the new 17X in place of my old dead 17N to check it prior pulling the old wires and installing the new 17X....and got instant signals from 10 satellites, better than the old one ever did. So installed the new 17X - raised it one foot via a Shakespehere 12" extension to get it out of the radar "shadow" and it works a lot better.

Found what I presume is the problem with my old 17N - the cable had gotten pinched in a bundle of wires that had been bound up too tightly with cable ties and had partially severed. I'll strip out the cable and splice it for a spare. But the sun and weather have taken its toll on the old one, its plastic is very brittle, so the new one is probably a good idea at the 10-12 year mark anyway.

Got a new mic for the sideband too. All is well in Coonassland.

UV