Start 'em young....

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Start 'em young....

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

My 7 year old grandson Hunter (one of Capt. Brent's boys) killed his first buck yesterday - one shot with his .243.

Venison for New Year's....first you make a roux....

UV
Dug

Post by Dug »

Nice!!!! Good eats UV!

Now, did he gut and clean it?
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Dug:

Since when did you become Rambo?

Tom
In Memory of Vicroy

He got the traditional Southern blood stripe on each cheek. It's what makes you yankees fear us.....A 7 year old Southern boy (oh yeah, he just turned 7 last month) can pick your ass off at 200 yards with his .243. The kid can do a 4" group at 200 yds all day long.

Capt. Brent called last night as they were pulling into the gas station that does the deer processing (we multi-task in the South) to tell us the news, and passed the cell phone to Hunter. Me: "Hunter, you shot a deer?" Him: "Yep, Pop, I whacked him". Me: "was he a big one?" Him: "Naw Pop, he was little, we gonna get the big one tomorrow".

What can I add to that?

UV
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

kid sounds alot more fun than his grandpappy..............
tell him congrats from yankee land
Dug

Post by Dug »

Vic,

That is so cool. Tom, Rambo, I am not. But I am thinking of starting the deer hunting. I have talked with a few here on the board about it, and it really is pending my parents heading out on a vacation as mom doesn't want to know or see it happen.

On my end, no problem dropping the deer. It is what the hell do I do with it after that. Hence wanting someone around to help me do the butchering. If I can handle a tuna, no reason I cannot handle a deer. So goes my innocent logic. Let the ridicule begin...

So I guess it would be rambo in the making Tom. But for real, UV, even I am proud of Hunter!

More scared of you guys because of an old movie with banjos in it rather than blood on the cheeks! Lol...

D
In Memory of Vicroy

Dug, Port Eads makes the banjo boys in Ark. look like Sunday school class. Many of the Faithful have been there and know what the real South, especially the coonass South, is all about. Who remembers the chorus line to Hollis' classic original "I'm More Redneck Than You"? Seems some of us were gonna syndicate Hollis, but guess that fell thru the cracks down the line. One of my favorite yankee stories was Capy offering to bring a pup tent and sleep outside at Port Eads.......Ran-dollllll wading down the dock one morning with a 10 foot alligator following him.....Ric bitching about the little fiddler crabs till Stan Smith ate some. Al "Xtreme" Walker and his video of spearing huge fish under the oil rigs......Stan & Al bringing in the cockpit full of spiney lobsters off the rig legs....The Shrimp Pimp & his harem... wandering thru the New Orleans Big Game clubhouse and marveling at the hundreds of classic pix (they were all saved a year before Katrina destroyed the place)....hanging out in Pee Wee's pavillion eating crawfish and shrimp, Darryl and his momma Dee Dee's good cooking....stories from Wayne - rest his soul, killed in Katrina - all the banter on the dock......the days offshore when even Timmy did not puke on my RLDT AJ......the Africans and the "Fatal Shot" made from elephant dung (Chris, I still have a bottle in the freezer at the camp)....the little gifts we have exchanged, Randall's wood carvings, the African pelt, the map of False Bay in Capte Town with my name on it.......some guys that came that could not handle it, but that's their problem.....Tiger's palace....

Anyway, guess I'm waxing sentimential, but those times are what make us what we are. Panama is our new playpen, and not too shabby.

UV
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Dug,
Same as gutting a squirrel or rabbit only larger.

Some hunters prefer to remove the scent glands on the inside of the hind legs. This step can be omitted, but take care that the meat does not contact the gland area. "Bleeding" or cutting the deer's neck is not necessary. Blood removal is accomplished by field dressing.

Place the deer on its back. (Knew a guy from Jersey that would stop at this point, another story)

Starting at the anus, cut through the skin and body wall along the center line. The center line extends along the underside of the deer from the anus to the center of the diaphraghm.
Use your fingers to guide the knife and keep the blade away from the stomach and intenstines. Make the first cut by keeping the knife at a low angle and cutting only deep enough to slice through the skin.

Cut the length of the carcass, opening the chest cavity by cutting through the breast bone. Cut deeply around the anus to loosen the intestine. Split the pelvic bone by slicing through its center with a sturdy knife or cutting through with a small saw or hand ax.

The diaphragm seperates the chest and body cavities and must be cut away. Reach inside the chest cavity and loosen the heart and liver from connective tissues. Take along a plastic bag to put them in if you wish to keep them. (Good eats)

Loosen the windpipe and gullet by cutting through them as far forward into the neck area as you can reach.

Roll the carcass on its side so you can remove the entrails. Most of the entrails will pull away easily. Carefully cut and loosen any connective tissues.

Wipe the body cavity clean and remove any remaining tissues and damaged flesh. Prop the body cavity open by inserting a stick in the rib cage.

The entrails should be buried.

Keep your deer clean and cool. If possible, don't haul it atop your vehicle. Keep it away from engine fumes, heat, and dirt.

The carcass should be aged before skinning and processing. If the outside temperature is in the 35 to 40 degree F range the deer can safely hang and age for a week. If the temperature is warmer you should skin the deer and age the meat in a refrigerator or cooler.

Skinning is easiest when the deer is hanging by its back legs, first cut the skin around the lower part of the back legs and slit them on the inside, down to the pelvis. Peel the hide by pulling with one hand and rutting the difficult places with a knife in the other hand. Using a balled fist behind the hide and carcass helps separate skin without tearing. Take care not to let the hair touch the meat. When you reach the front legs, cut and skin them the same as the rear legs.

If you want to have your trophy deer head mounted, take care when you skin your deer. Leave the head and hide intact as far back as the rear of the shoulder. Let the taxidermist do the rest of the work. Save the remainder of the deer hide and have it tanned or sell it to a fur buyer.

If you accidently cut the entrails open while gutting, you'll ruin the meat it comes in contact with. Don't try and wash it away, just toss it and try and save as much meat as possible.

Wash your hands with disenfectant soap when done and check your body and clothes for deer ticks.

Most deer meat if cooked and prepared properly won't need heavy seasoning and won't have a gamey taste and will be real tender.

UV,
Looks like they are indicting 7 cops your way for killing two and wounding others after Katrina under one of the bridges. One of those killed was a 40 something retarted guy shot 5 times in the back.
They trying to clean up the corruption or what?
In Memory of Vicroy

Bruce - word on the street is the alleged retarded guy had a Mensa membership card in his pants, was shooting at the cops and 5 of his own ricocets got him in the back. Doo doo happens, ya know....

Your deer gutting procedure is a little more finesse' than we do here in coonassland....hang 'em by the head, cut the guts, let them fall on the ground for the dogs. We hunt with dogs in the swamp. Keeps 'em moving. Grandson Hunter is a sport, using a .243. I prefer the 12 ga. & double O buckshot, no need for sights and other such rubbish, just point and shoot.

UV
scot

Post by scot »

Vic & Bruce...I'm disappointed in you southern boys. We skin'em with a golf ball and a pick up truck.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

About us Yankees handeling guns etc. On the current battlefield, the Bronx, the Bros use pistols and knives. The Good Guys just use pistols. Yeah, thats right. We don't shot deer, we shoot each other. This is a tough game up here. People get killed. Has a deer ever brought down a redneck?

Yesterday, the local radio station said murder was up 10% in New York City. But New Orleans was down sharply ... nobody lives there anymore. And the Good Guys have been accused of overkill ... excessive force. It took some 50 shots to bring one young buck down some couple of days ago. It turns out the victim wasn't armed. That's baseball!

And so it goes.
A/K/A El Gaupo
Dug

Post by Dug »

Bruce,

Thank you so much for the detailed info. I am hoping to use it fairly soon. We shall see. I sure as heck won't be solo, that is for sure. Not for the first time. I can see it now. Dug out in the field, with filet knive (I know, wrong knife, that is the point!) deer shot and dead (got lucky first time, and didn't have to chase it!) directions faithfully printed out and lying in the grass next to the deer, and I'm ready to start.

Probably not the best way to begin!

And Vic, yup, you are right. It is a charm I have read about here for a long time. And I respect most of the time! Port Eads must have been like nowhere else ever. And will be missed. Heck I miss it, and have never been. TSL on the other hand, I will get to. At some point.

Dug
randall

Post by randall »

UV...culture clash at the coonass country club...bottom line...a great place sorely missed...."dont you know louisiana is a migritory state?...well where do it go?"......................................................................ask beaudroux
thuddddddd

stuf

Post by thuddddddd »

dug, where you gonna jack your deer?? this time of year all the yankee states are closed to just about anything but bows
Dug

Post by Dug »

No plans as of now Thudd. Just remember we have a tree farm.

Can you say crop damage?

But nothing illegal. No worries...
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

got a 175yd 20ga slug gun you can use, or failing that I'll come over and put a cap in the deers ass for you.
Dug

Post by Dug »

We have a good .223 semi-sniper rifle that dad uses on coyotes. I think it will do the job. Hell, he takes down coyotes at over 3 acres away...

I'll call ya Tim. No worries.

D
thuddddddd

stuff

Post by thuddddddd »

didn't know you were far enough west to use a rifle. A 223 is a tad lite for deer, even the ones we get. neck/spine shots are in order. If you can use rifles out there, I got a whole safe of stuff that will get the job done more humanely.
Dug

Post by Dug »

As I told ya way back, we can talk. I will let you know. Sounds like fun!

D
neil

Post by neil »

dug what kind of tree farm do you have .trees are my business neil
randall

Post by randall »

mine too
neil

Post by neil »

randall i own a landscaping company most of our work is bayfront or oceanfront,we also do a great deal of dune restoration. what kind of tree business do you have regards neil
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Neil,

Not sure how you've missed it for so long, but Randy is the most phenominal wood carver, perhaps, in the country, & one of the best in the world...

The enclosed image is one of his recent works, carved from a single slab of wood & hand rendered.

RandallRosenthal.com

neil

Post by neil »

capt patrick i have never met randall but hope to this summer.the talent among the faithful is nothing shy of amazing.hope you can make it to montauk this summer regards neil
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Neil,

Sure planning on it! May take two weeks off & combine it with Charlie's Atlantic City Rendezvous... One of my biggest problems is that a one month span is "long range planning" for me.

Br,

Patrick
randall

Post by randall »

geez patrick......thanks!!...can you show em the atlas i did for bill...next to the NY Times probably my best ever
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Randy,

Did better... Linked your whole site.

Br,

Patrick
randall

Post by randall »

wow...thanks.....have to talk to the site administrator (mike) to put it on......anytime anything appears on here i get a zillion hits
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Patrick,
You get that close you must come to VA and the center of the known Universe. Any luck at all Dreamsicle will be an actual boat.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Dug

Post by Dug »

Neil,

You have met Randall, he was on the Vineyard! My parents grow Christmas trees. Primarily frasier furs.

7 acres.

Dug