Back Window

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jackryan

Back Window

Post by jackryan »

When we hit the sand bar, my buddy slid into the back window and did a number on it. As per Uncle Vic's suggestion,we are planning on having a local glass dealer replace the glass. My brother went back down yesterday and could not remove the frame. He said he removed the screws on the top half of the frame thinking it would have a front and back piece, but he said it looked like it was one piece and was unable to pry it out. He did not remove the screws from the bottom half of the frame, so I was thinking that maybe the bottom half might have a front and back piece so it could be removed, allowing removal of the upper half of the frame. Anyone have experience removing the back window frame? Here is a picture of the broken window:

Thanks again for the help,

JR
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

JR,
They look like the same ones on my 28. When I took mine out it did require a bit of muscle since they were siliconed in. They will flex quite a bit but when you install them again and put the screws back in they are fine. They are two seperate peices so you sandwich the glass between the frames during re-installation. I do not recall any hidden screws. Should just be the ones you see in your photo.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Jack

They are two pieces. An inside piece and outside. It has been a while, but if I remember right I might have used a putty knife to break the seal. Now, since you don't know what they put it back in with, you might want to try spraying some debond around the outside frame to let it soften up whatever is there.

Slide the one window open if you can just make sure there are no screws in the track.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

It has been a while since I did mine, but they had some really hard snot around them. Also it seems to me that you need to take top and bottom out at the same time. Be careful with the little plastic slide piece that goes into the aluminum channel for the glass to slide on. I could not find a replacement. American Marine sold me the felt. A dead blow hammer helps in removing them. I primed and Awlgripped the frames white while I had them out.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Thanks for the reply's on the window. When I bought the boat, after some research and a few emails to Capt. Patrick, we came to the conclusion that this boat started life as a sportfisherman model, and the back bulkhead and windows were added later. I guess there is a chance the back windows are different than the stock windows that came on the flybridge model. My brother is a mechanical engineer, so if there was an easy way to get it out, he probably would have gotten it on the first try. I guess there is also a chance that there is some glue or calking involved. To bad there is not some way to remove the glass without removing the frame. We're going to go down tomorrow and give it another shot.

JR
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Jack: They look stock. Heck the glass is already broken!! Have a go with the deadblow. They will bend, and I found that out the hard way. Cut some wood strips that just fit the slots and then you can hit it without bending it.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Dug

Post by Dug »

Jack,

Those are stock windows.

The are set in with bedding compound, and they will not release easily.

They may have screws that do go straight down as well, down in the channel. I don't remember.

And the little bit about your bro being a mechanical engineer? Forgive me, but that will only qualify him to ###### it up, and over complicate it. Just my experience with engineers. Like lawyers... ;)

Good luck with the window. They come out hard. Don't worry about needing to pry the hell out of them, but don't bend the extrusion. Its a fine line...

Dug
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Thanks guy's,

I'll let you know how it goes.

JR
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

When removing my side windows I found that a putty knife heated with a torch and some wooden wedges worked well. Slide the knife under and replace with a wedge. Work around patiently adding more wedge as you go.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

It took a bit of effort, but we ended up getting the back window frame out. It must have been a retro frame because it was a single piece. Most of you guys sound like your back window frames had a front and back piece, but these were set into the bulkhead with a large bead of caulk. The frame and damaged glass are at a local glass dealer for fabrication. We worked around the entire frame with a utility knife and then used Mikey's method with a putty knife to get it to relaese.

Thanks for all of the help,

JR
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Mine were two pieces: a top and a bottom.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Jack,
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Mikey,

That's exactly what I was saying when we got the frame out. More like aaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeee.

Rawleigh, Mine were also two pieces, a top and bottom, but it sounds like some guys had an inside and outside piece. The broken glass and frame are already at C Glass getting fabricated.

aaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEeeeeeee,

JR