Engine Extraction Aftermath

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bayside Bert28

Engine Extraction Aftermath

Post by Bayside Bert28 »

Showed up at the boatyard today to check on the progress of the big Bertram.

Here was the scene ... the aftermath of the extraction of the port side 12V71TI from the big Bertram. The lift, lots of custom steel reinforcing posts for the salon floor, more for under the hull, a special dolly, lots of thick wooden slabs to set the 3000 lb block down on. What a scene!

I have resigned myself at this point to being without the boat for the entire summer.

In other news, I decided to give her a new name ... I thought it was appropriate for her to have the word "Big" in her name ... so ... "Big Buddy"

While she is down, I'm going to handle some additional tasks including new fiberglass salon window frames from Glasstech.

I have been anticipating enjoying this boat for a long time and ... I'm going to anticipate it a little longer:-(
1981 Bertram 28 Flybridge CruiserThird Strike II1984 Bertram 54 Big Buddy
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

You have to love those old 54's, nothing like them. Can really take on a big sea.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

What a beautiful boat. What kind of power are you going back with?

JR
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

jackryan wrote:What a beautiful boat. What kind of power are you going back with?

JR
If your rebuilding the 1271TI's, be prepared to relive that scene many times if you plan on keeping that boat.
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Who is doing the work this time around? Are you re-re-building one or both. Did you ever get any satisfaction out of Saunders?
Regards,

Doug L.
Bayside Bert28

Post by Bayside Bert28 »

Larry Cress at Central Marine (Herrington Harbour North) is doing the rebuild this time ... The engine is getting the full, meticulous treatment and yes, I'm going back with the 12V71TI engines for now. To go with the C18's would be at least $250k and I'm just not ready for that right now.

Saunders claims its not their fault even though the engine failed immediately after overhaul. I don't know how much more clear the evidence could be. They will have their day in court. To make matters even more dastardly, Larry at Central Marine is identifying many Non-Detroit Diesel parts in the engine. Like for instance, the pistons which are stamped "FB" and not "DD". I paid for and was promised all OEM Detroit Diesel parts. The parts spec'd on the invoice are OEM Detroit Diesel.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I am in no way a Detroit expert, but I dealt with one regularly for many years.

We all kid about DD leaks and his rebuilds did not leak a drop thats how good he was.

Patrick also knows Tommy and how good he was.

He told me that when he did a non natural DD 12 that he used all non OEM parts because he said the DD factory parts failed constantly on that model and if someone insisted on factory parts, he turned the job down.

Thats certainly not the same as expecting and being told your getting factory parts and using something else.

But I would check with your current mechanic and ask his opinion on factory vs aftermarket on that model.
Bayside Bert28

Post by Bayside Bert28 »

The huge reason for using Detroit Diesel OEM parts (for twice or more the money) is because those parts come with a Detroit Diesel warranty. If they were installed by an authorized DD facility and the part or parts fail, then DD will pay for the repair. (it's a 6 or 12 month) warranty. DD definitely has some interest in making sure quality control is adequate.

As Larry Cress (Central Marine) explains, "I cannot afford to be repairing these engines for free so I don't use a single non-DD part." Period.

My other engine was overhauled in 2006 by Johnson's Diesel (Biloxi Miss) using some non Detroit Diesel parts. The complete overhaul was $28k. It's doing just fine.

Since two of my cylinder liners were sitting in a bore that was way too large for them and there were many non-oem parts used when I paid for ALL OEM parts, I think the real problem I have experienced is incompetent work from Saunders Yachtworks and outright fraud with regard to the misrepresentation of parts.
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

Just a truck driver asking a (stupid) question. If the liners were in a hole to big, doesn't that mean the block is shot?

I've heard of cat guys having issues if the liners don't protrude the deck at some some specified number. Curious more than anything...

Loved the look of those model Berts though since I a teenager!
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Kurt wrote:If the liners were in a hole to big, doesn't that mean the block is shot?
Not necessarily....over time the block bore will become tapered or oversize or in some way distorted so that the liner dones not have a proper fit to the block.

Detroit as well as other manufacturers of the cylinder liners make new liners that are oversize on the outside diameter....when the block is bored and fitted with an oversize liner the "Proper Fit" is restablished.....then your off to the races and like new.

There is a limit how far you can go....and I forget how far oversize the block can be bored.

As far as the liner protrusion in relation to the cylinder deck......when the engine is rebuilt, each liner has to be fitted, and adjusted with shims to bring it to within specs.

hb
hb