B26 Left Hand Drive

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Chanse

B26 Left Hand Drive

Post by Chanse »

I'm going to buy a pair of SEI outdrives. I now have the opportunity
to get one in a Lefty. Problem is what props would you run?
I am happy with the 15 3/4 x17 michigans that I use now and they don't have it in LH. I got a pile of the RH's.
Any B26er's running RH/LH outdrives with L6's?

Thank You.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Chanse;

I've got the counter rotating drives on my boat. I have Diamond 4 blade aluminum props 14.5 X 18. I have newer Merc 4 cyl 3.0L motors.

It runs pretty well. the 4 blades give me good grip and get up on a plane quickly, stay up at 17 to 18 knots. Top end is just 30 knots.

I suppose I could tweak that top end a bit with nice stainless props, but where I live thin water is a fact of life, and so is bumping bottom... but fortunately it is mostly sand. Still I'd rather replace the ali props than a stainless one.

As for the counterrotation: I kinda feel like I could take it or leave it. Our 26's are small enough that they are just as likely to list and so hull-steer from your passengers switching sides of the boat as from torque effect.... and as for backing into a slip, well you must know by now you can't see the drives from the bridge, and so that is all done by leaving the helm mostly centered and using the shifters. So I see little advantage to counter rotating drives there.

If you are happy with the props you have and you have got a stack of them you probably should stick with what you have. I doubt you'd gain much with the left hand drive and you would have to go through the process of re-proping.

I don't know how I missed the thread, but have you done your new salon bulkhead yet? I have done this project on my 26 as well. It isn't bad to do and adds a lot to the comfort of the salon on cold days.

I'll try to take a pic or two and post.

These boats were originally offered with the full bulkhead as an option so there is a "land" or lip on the underside of the top of the deckhouse in exactly the right spot to accept one.... makes it easy. If you handled the tank project so easily, then the bulkhead is a cinch. It isn't structural so I used Komacel and Lexan. I added a few bits of teak edging which you can prichase pre-milled from various suppliers to make it look like it grew there. Other bits included some rubber edge dressing from Grainger, some aluminum U channel and some weather stripping.

I wanted to add a locking door instead of the roll up canvas. Sadly we all have to give security a little more thought these days though it has never yet been a problem in my waters... so I devised one that works quite well. It is a slider that opens to starboard behind the bridge ladder. A hinged door would always be in the way.

I looked into building or buying opening windows and opted for fixed instead because it allowed more "glass" area which improved the view and the light, it was also simpler and cheaper, and with sliding side windows and opening windshield I don't feel I need it for ventilation. After all how often do you roll up those canvas windows above the 1/2 bulkhead?

If you haven't started yet and want more info let me know.

Peter
Peter

Post by Peter »

Here is a pic of my new bulkhead with sliding door:

Peter