Airsep Cummins 6bta "Wits End"

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jeffery pagano

Airsep Cummins 6bta "Wits End"

Post by jeffery pagano »

I just installed Airsepts on my 1989 300 hp Cummins 6bta engines with 2k hours. While the Walker instructions were helpful, I had do do some improvising as to the oil return to the crankcase. Instead of returning the lines directly to the crankcase, I am using the oil removal suction tube conveniently located nearby. When I change oil, I will just uncouple the fittings until the oil is removed, recoupling when oil removal is complete. Would it be better to uncouple the oil return, allowing the "crap" to drain into a plastic bottle or will that eliminate the effectiveness of the Airsep system?

Has anyone utilized the Airsep systems on 6btas? Are there any lessons learned? Since I installed them yesterday, work prevents me from testing them under a load at the moment. When I do, is there any way to measure/check the correctness of my installation, except a cleaner bilge? I would hate to make matters worse by a bad installation.
Any lessons learned or methods of inspection is appreciated.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

There has been a lot of discussion over the years on the Cummins 6B formun on boatdisel.com, most of it negative and centered on the ping pong ball check valve as I recall. I'd go look there.

UV