Question on making a fiberglass mold

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John C

Question on making a fiberglass mold

Post by John C »

Need to make 4 fiberglass dorade(16 in x 5 in x 5 in deep) boxes for a boat I am working on. These will be tabbed inside the hull. piss poor plastic ones in there now that the hose twists into. Any ideas on making a mold to pull 4 of these boxes. Is in a spot that can not be seen. Thanks for any ideas.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

John, How bout using a 6" pvc pipe, Ive used my aluminum bending brake to get flat rectangle shapes then lay up over the tin coated with release agent or visquene sheeting, may not be pretty but gets you basic shape. also look through the tupperware section at local box store, may find a shape close enough, lay it up and twist or pop it right out. Backwoods mold making..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
John C

Post by John C »

Thanks Bob, That is why I posted here some good ideas....
alano

Post by alano »

Since they can't be seen, I used PVC square fence posts with a chunk cut out of one side to fit the intakes and glued/screwed some 1/2" PVC board to it for a flange and ends, finally screwed the vent hose adapters from cheapo vents into the bottom side and added a drain. The intakes are screwed thru the house side into the flange of the box. this replaced the shore power inlet on the side of the house on my 35 which was moved to the cockpit FWIW Alan.
Alan Ormond
1973 35'
Va Beach, VA
Thums Up

Post by Thums Up »

McMaster carr sells c channel and angle pieces made out of fiberglass already to go. A lot quicker and easier.

If I understand you right, I would get some c channel, cut to length and cap the ends with some flat stock that they also sell. I use the green glass for my stuff but you could use any of them.
http://Www.GT-lures.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;