Cummins 250hp

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Michael

Cummins 250hp

Post by Michael »

Guys,
As a mentioned recently I just bought a B31 with these engines. Unfortunately boat did not come with owner or parts manuals. Any chance one of you has them and would be able to scan/email them to me? Thanks for any help.
(I am not having any issues with them, but want to learn a bit about them as I will be doing most of the maintenance type work myself)
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Each manual is more than an inch thick. Call Cummins or there are some places to buy manuals on line, maybe.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Manual for these engines is extensive and worth the $$$.
Repair manual tells all including how to make repairs and when to do what as far as maintenance. For Cummins proprietary parts you need your engine serial number and your local dealer can access the number for you. Once you have the part number often you can buy on line. I have often Googled the part # and found suppliers much cheaper than the factory.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Don't laugh now, Ebay is where I found mine for cheap compare to other places. just sayin.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I'll ditto the others about the quality of the manual - best I've ever seen. And get a good torque wrench right away if you don't already have one. Proper torque on fasteners is intergral to Cummins' reliability.

UV
Michael

Post by Michael »

Thanks guys, I am on it.
One other question for now - where should I find the model/serial numbers on these engines? Note I have not even tried looking for this yet.
Thanks
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

On mine....The model and serial number as well as other information is on a tag that is attached to the timing cover housing just forward and next to the injector pump.......viewed from the flywheel end..look on the left side of the engine.

The STBD engine will be easier to view than the PORT engine.

hb
hb
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Roger what Harry said - a metal tag on the side of the cam cover right forward and above the raw water pump. In addition to the serial number the CPL number (Complete Parts List?) is a valuable number as it identifies your particular model within the 6BTA family. Its a 4 digit number....for example, my 250s are CPL 1247.

UV
Michael

Post by Michael »

Thanks guys, will check it out