MDO vs. Marine ply

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

RAWicklund

MDO vs. Marine ply

Post by RAWicklund »

I'm replacing the bulkhead just fwd of the engines on my B28 and looking for a simple material to use. (upper bulkhead w/window)

Currently it's white laminate on the exposed exterior side and wood veneer on the interior.

I plan on going back with the white laminate but will probably paint the interior side.

I think I can apply paint directly to the MDO but not the marine ply without a bit of prep. I will edge seal everything w/epoxy but don't want to play with resins too much, thats why I'm not using CoreCell or equivalant.

Anybody have any experience using MDO on a boat?? Pros and cons??

The last time I used marine ply was about 10 years ago building 2 mudboats. It was only 3/8" material... painted and exposed to the elements... started rotting after 2 years.... I just assumed it was a miracle product and rotproof due to the price...(bad assumtion) So thinking about using 3/4" MDO or HDO

Thanks

Ray
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Anybody have any experience using MDO on a boat?? Pros and cons??
Absolutely do not use MDO or HDO, if the overlay is over MDF, Particle board, or any other mashed together wood pulp/fiber/sawdust material for your bulkhead. Stuff is a moisture magnet and will fail miserably in short order...

Your choices are plywood and Coosa Board and an alternative substrate for paint is by laminating a hard plastic such as Formica. See Hancock's bulkhead.

Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Capt Pat---was Johns boat completed? I don't remember seeing the final rigged boat.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Hasn't gone in the water yet, but could've months ago... Been sitting inside a shed, sitting cattywhompus on a bunk trailer for the last 11 months. Go figure...
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

RAWickland,

I used 3/4 Starboard for my bulkheads. I'd like to go back and start over again, but this time use 1/2 plywood and once all the cutouts and the shaping is done, drench it in diluted epoxy. then I would laminate with epoxy 1/8th inch formica on both sides. I still might do that someday.

I'm sure it would be a lot stronger and practically bullet proof.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Dick...

I can't speak for the B31s, but the B33s all have their cabin aft bulkhead built in a similar frashion to what you said you would do if you had it to do over.

They have 3/4" high quality plywood, with a skin of formica on both surfaces, held together simply with contact cement. I had some loose formica and thought there was rot in the plywood beneath the loose places.. upon opening things up I found the plywood was in perfect condition, but I could see where the builders had skimped on the contact cement, and the glue bond had let go. The plywood was better quality than we can buy today, at least in the big box stores!
Last edited by IRGuy on May 27th, '11, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

Dick and IRguy,

What you describe (3/4" ply sandwiched with laminate) is what I have and plan on going back with. The plywood has some rot and is delaminating ///swelling and screws have pulled out.

The boat is a 94 model (last year for the B28's I believe) so I'm not too impressed with the quality of the plywood and want to upgrade. Granted better edge and screw sealing would have led to greater longevity.

Capt' Pat,

Here's a link to the MDO I was considering..
http://www.plumcreek.com/Portals/0/down ... fo/MDO.pdf

not to be confused with any MDF/ HDF melanine coated Krap.

According to the worksheet, they make a marine grade also ( need to check my supplier to see if he can get it)

I just wanted a smooth surface I could paint (2 part epoxy??) with minimal prep.

I don't want to reinvent the wheel.... just simple enough so I can finish this project and get to work on my B31.

Ray
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

My old bulkheads were 3/4 and rotted badly. Mine is a 1983 and there was a close tolerance between the engine hatches and the bulkhead. So the 1/2 plywood and the two laminamts would have equalled the 3/4 inch. I kick my self frequently for not going that route, but for now the Starboard is doing the job.
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

Ditto on the hatch clearance/ tolerance issue. I have a shade under 1" thick bulkheads. .950" +-

I have some 1/2" (12MM) CoreCell that I got at a clearance sale, that I wanted to use. But if I laminate 2 sheets togather I'm too wide... and I dont feel 12MM on it's own is strong enough.

It worked great for the rudder shelfs, but too beefy for the bulkhead.

Ray
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Capt' Pat,

Here's a link to the MDO I was considering..
http://www.plumcreek.com/Portals/0/down ... fo/MDO.pdf
Ray,

That'll work fine, just be sure it's exterior grade and APA rated.