Mercruiser Horizon Engines.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Skipper Dick

Mercruiser Horizon Engines.

Post by Skipper Dick »

I've got two 1998 Merc Horizon engines in my B28. They use the MEFI 3 Electronic Control Module. I check up on these guys periodically with My Rinda Technologies Scanner that reads the ECMs' and reports various readouts and/or error messages. One of these is Fuel Flow and I have always wondered if one could tap into the source of this data and run it to a digital or analog instrument on the bridge. Has any one had any experience trying this or have knowledge of how one might go about it. I've got the big engine manual from Mercruiser, but I can not find any mention of ports for any of the ECM readouts. I talked to one of our local Fort Myers Merc dealers and they just shrugged more or less and said if must be possible.

Thanks

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Dick,
Yes you can but it will take a computer display like the Rinda reader.
You'll have to have a chip like Rinda's to read the info, then build a LCD display and case.

If you have the knowlege of building chip and cmos circuits then you could save about half of the money Rinda would want for a display.

What I did for a customer is buy him one of the displays, got a y harnass for the two engines on the computer readout plug and wired an extension cable to the flybridge using a highly sheilded cable.
Mounted the display in his electronics box and he could tap into either or engine from the display buttons.

I pestered FlowScan for years to come up with a display but they claimed the sensors were the way to go, not.
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Thanks Bruce. I would have thought that Mercruiser would sell some sort of optional equipment to tap into the fuel flow data. I'm sure it would be an arm and a leg. But I think I will pursue this further and treat it as a side project. You've given me hope. Thanks again.

Dick
Hyena Love

Not exactly on Point, but

Post by Hyena Love »

I recently bought some "Code reader" software for one of my cars. It loads on a laptop and then plugs into the standard "plug" for modern cars. Come to find out, there is a ton of different readings and info available. I was doing real time monitoring a mass air flow sensor, but there was all kinds of fuel related info.

Software and a cheap laptop might be all you need, if you can find the right software.
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

Dick, I am not sure if it will work with the 98 Horizon, but Merc has a system called Smartcraft that allows you to display all of the info available onyour Rinda at the bridge. It also displays engine guages and nunerous other thing from available sensors. I think you can use a smartcraft fuel flow guage withthe appropriate wiring etc. They have a pretty good website I would start there.
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Great info guys. I'm definatley pursuing this route as soon as the holidays are over.

Thanks

Dick
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Dick,
I believe the smartcraft is only interfaceable on 2000/2001 models and above.

I just remembered B&G used to make a display that interfaced with the computer readout plugs for data at the helm. Just like the setup I described for the Rinda unit.

Somewhere I have a display that I pulled off a gas boat when I converted it to diesel. Not sure of the cables but if you want to do some research to see if its something you can fool with let me know and I'll try and find it and send it along to you.
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Bruce,

You are absolutely correct. I got on the Merc site last evening and looked at the SC100. They will only interface with the Merc. 555 Ecm and that was 2000 and later. It's a shame because you can use the SC100 system to link to any data that's available and more by attaching a speed wheel and transducer. The latter would be duplication, but it's there.

We took the boat down to Fort Myers Beach for some bar hopping yesterday. I was going to hook my scanner up to the port engine, but one of Pat's girl friends joinded us at the last minute so I canned that Idea.

I sent an email to the tech people at Mercruiser to see if they knew of anything that would work on a MEFI 3, but have not heard back yet. But if you run across the display and what ever else that may work, I'd definately fool around with it. If all else fails, there is a flow scan just waiting for me at Defender.

Thanks Bruce

Dick
daydreams

Post by daydreams »

Bruce, after reading various posts I have concluded you have to be an amazing machanic. Not to insult anyone else I'm sure there are other really good mechanics on this site.
what good is a boat if you cant spend all your money and time you dont have working on it.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Dick,
Email me your address and I'll ship the BG unit to you after I dig for it.

Daydreams,
Thanks. I appreciate the kindness.