How long of a runway does an Alaskan Bush Pilot need?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

How long of a runway does an Alaskan Bush Pilot need?

Post by CaptPatrick »

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AVNfXYuNurk?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AVNfXYuNurk?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Wow.. Thats a real S.T.A.L...
Wayne
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

nothing like a take-off and landing from a driveway !!
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

My uncle was a bush pilot in the Yukon and got in and out of some tight places. I worked for him as a horse wrangler one summer and on small high altitude lake that he landed in one time was very short. Landing was fine, but the take off was a challenge as the lake was ringed with trees. He tied a stout rope to one of the trees, handed me an axe and said "when I am at full power and give you the thumbs up, chop the rope!" It worked, he cleared the trees by 5 or 6 feet. Pretty cool thing to see for an 18 year old city kid!
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Used to fly regularly out of Horne Payne Ontario to a friends fly-in fish camp. Over the years we saw some crazy stuff. Flying around squalls, running out of fuel and coasting for miles, nutty bush pilots that would skim the tree tops just to listen to your ass suck tight to the seat. I got my saying at the bottom from the dash of a DeHavilland Beaver. Gauges that worked occasionally, metal on the dash near the throttles worn down into a groove from hands rubbing them for years. There was on old German pilot by the name of Werner (Verner) who would always climb in and say, "Lets me tink here a minute, now how do vee start dis ting? The old wasp Jr 9 radial would bark to life and off we would go. Good times!

"Things of quality have no fear of time."

Just happens to apply to Bertrams as well.

-M
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Rocket, Now thats a sling shot...love how quick those planes leap up in the air...I need a set of props like that for my ride...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?