working with carbon fiber/ or kevlar

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i used capt. patricks god advice and laminated two pices of 1/2" marine plywood with one layer of biaxle in between but i coated the plywood on all sides with expoxy first. next i lay out bronze template over plywood layup and mark out holes . i use a 11/4" hole saw to drill thru then layed on wax paper and filled with "granite mix" that is epoxy with high density filler and silica mixed to mayonaise consistancy.let set up and drill thru with 3/8" drill (bolt size). on the subject of bolts you can buy the cheap flat silica bronze bolts or you can buy oval head well made in USA struct bolts from buck algonquin at least twice as strong for shear factor. guys this is what holds the the structs in place go for the best. i made a large mix of the granite mix and apply the wood layup to bottom and layed cement blocks on top to make good contact but not squish the mixture out from sides.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

next step i lay up a piece of cloth to cover entire job and the fill in the slope area with granite mix and installed bronze backer plate. i with double nut and install grounds after drying out . i use 3m5200 around bolts before installing thru structs. hull is now 21/4" thick in structs area.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Looks great! Glad to see you've got that job done. Are you in the water yet?

I'm hoping to get the flats boat ready on Friday, so whenever your ready for the shallow water ride, Friday, Saturday or any time after Easter!
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

boat will not go in for until may 1st . i have been real busy and have not spent time on her. i hear a few people getting bass on bunker chunks under RMB. i will start thinking fishing until after easter.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Goodgrief

Post by Goodgrief »

Carbon is not that big of a deal to work with, it is nice to bag it but I have done plenty of wet lay also. I have found it to be no differant than glass, just make sure you get it wetted out fully. Kevlar..... does not grind worth a damn and has a HUGE water absorbtion rate. Before my Bert I raced Hydroplanes and watched a few people try to build sooper light boats out of it, just to watch them gain weight over the season. I have talked to boat reps about this and they seam to think that since the fiber is enclosed with epoxy it is ok. Not true as soon as water finds its way in it will wick it up at the highest rate compared to glass and carbon.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

well the job is completed now painting included but i will remember that very important information about absorbtion with kevlar on any other projects expose to water.thank you goodgrief your the only one whom mention that.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473