Bonding system - Transom zincs?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

IRGuy

Bonding system - Transom zincs?

Post by IRGuy »

My '83 FBC has never had a transom zinc plate. The boat was kept for many years in a small marina where a lot of boats had shore power connections constantly. I keep it now in my slip in our community's basin where only a few (6 or 7) boats keep shore power connected. She has zero signs of galvanic or any other corrosion on her running gear. I suspect the previous owner was not regular about maintaining her external zincs (one on each shaft, one on each rudder blade, and one on each trim tab plate).

Since she is on the hard at the moment now is the time to add a transom bonding/grounding zinc plate if I want to.

I would appreciate your comments on whether I should be considering this addition or not, and if so how it should be installed.

Bruce, Pete Fallon. Capt Patrick?.. anyone else who wants to comment please feel free.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

My 64 Sportsfisherman has never had a transom zinc in all these years and I have always been in a marina where everyone has their boats plugged in. If the zincs you presently are using seem to be doing the job, I can't see why you'd need another one, and the annual expense that goes with it. Smarter and more knowledgeable minds will most certainly chime in with their opinions.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

That is sort of my position Walter. If it ain't broke.. Don't fix it.

Or, to quote an old sage...

The enemy of good is better!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I've never had transome zinces. Just shafts and rudders. Only time I ever had a problem was when I had a bad bilge pump.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315