Impeller source

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Impeller source

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I burnt up the raw water pump impeller on my Phasor 6.5 kw gneset & put the spare in. Ordered another spare from Phasor and they clipped me for 61 bucks when the dust settled. The pump is an Oberdorfer 202 M and I did some looking on the net and really didn't find any much cheaper. Am I missing something, or do little ole two bit impellers now cost 49 bucks?

UV
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Everything, especially propietary parts, are off the richter scale... I just paid over $60 for a freaking Bosch spin on fuel filter for the tractor because nobdy has a cross over number yet.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Try $78 for a Leg of Lamb at our local supermarket and $21.83 for three fresh Mackerel at our Seafood Shoppe. Local gas station regular is $4.599. Keep telling me there's no inflation.
lobsta1

Post by lobsta1 »

UV,
Try $156 for a dist. cap for a 3 cyl. Westerbeke genny. Also $120 for a rotor for the same.
Al
NITES OFF
1978 B33 FBC

Al
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Lobsta I wish I would have known that, I have a new cap and rotor in a box of left over parts from the shop.

Welcome to the world of the falling dollar and companies trying to make ends meet with slow sales.

I've helped a few 31 guys here lately for something to do and was blown away at the spike in prices for marine parts from about a year and a half ago.

Biggest issue is 40% of the stuff I wanted is out of stock, no idea when it will be in. Not special stuff either. Just regular boat parts.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Blew a pressure sending unit on my machines auto Lube System this week.

Call for price and availability...he has two numbers come up. 15 bucks and 90 bucks...well say I want the 15 dollar one of course. Nope, no more stock and its discontinued. Then I get the question...do you want it?

So what are my options?
-Spend an hour or two trouble shooting the unit.
-Buy an off the shelf pressure unit from someone and adapt it.
-Use machine with no Lube system and ruin
-Don't use machine

Sure, send it to me and make it Red Label too!

15 bucks to 90...how much of an increase is that?

It is just getting out of hand...
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

UV wrote:The pump is an Oberdorfer
One of my welding torch radiators uses an Oberdorfer pump to circulate the coolant thru the Torch Head.

This particular pump is a gear pump with carbon bearings. Several years ago the front seal started leaking. I took it apart and found that I needed to replace the carbon bearings and the front seal....no big deal...right???

Apparently these pumps are throw away pumps. The parts were impossible to find.....and even Oberdorfer was no help....they suggested that I simply replace the entire pump to the tune of $388.00.

One Saturday I came in and made a couple of carbon bearings and bought a seal from the local bearing supply house....fixed the pump and its still running today.

I know that making a new impeller is not an option but you rang my chimmes when I heard the name Oberdorfer.

Prices are rediculious any more and the service is even worse. My tooling suppliers are no longer keeping much of anything on the shelves....I call them....they call the manufacturer....the manufacturer has minimum orders....they call me.....I have to wait until they get enough order to meet the manfuacturer minimum.....and folks wonder why INTERNET shopping is depriving them of sales......

We have had to substantially increase our inventory and reorder levels to compensate and keep production running. Its sort of fun when my suppliers call me to see if I have inventory....oh yeah....we got it...but not at the price we paid.....

Not sure you guys wanted to hear my rant....

hb
hb
jrhaszard

Generator starter

Post by jrhaszard »

A replacement starter for my Mastervolt 3.5 genset is $ 1600.00 from them.I felt blessed to get one from Kubota at only $ 500.00
BERG1847M80F
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Harry,
People like you and me that can fix objects, make parts and generaly keep things running WILL outlive the cockroaches.

Heck, we'll design and build a better cockroach.

UV,
Have you ever tried DEPCO pump co? They always had good prices and stock.
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

Yrs ago when I wore younger men's clothes I had a offer to a small German diesel engine that could be used to power a 6x4 Gardner-Denver water pump. Checking out the great offer we found that the spare parts came out of Texas and this distributor had limited ability. So we had to take a pass and took a small block GM "283" gas engine that took a beating. I can't believe it but this musta' been 45 yrs ago.
Geez, am I getting old or what?

Now a day I use NAPA with a whsle acct and looking at the suggested retail vs. the whsle price, it's like half price! O.K. this is not for hard to find parts like you guys need but for the simple soul like me it's great.

As we write, there is a fuel pump on the way that was original on my 1972 "427's". No one had it so it's coming from Alabama. $185 vs $115. I can wait 3 days.
A/K/A El Gaupo
Carl

Post by Carl »

Harry, this is a torch cooler!! Kegs filled with antifreeze, a cheap 110AC high pressure pump goes to a regulated bypass (T- fitting, a valve with return) then to torch. From torch it goes into a baseboard heater to a filter and back into keg.

I have a real Chiller in the basement...but when it went down the last time I needed to get a job done in a pinch, so I tossed this together. Works great, just replace pump every 2-3 years and its great for laughs...

Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Carl wrote:when it went down the last time I needed to get a job done in a pinch, so I tossed this together
Necessity is the mother of invention.....good job Carl......and like Bruce said...it will far outlive the cockroaches.

I gotta come visit you one day....

hb
hb
Carl

Post by Carl »

Harry, I am sure we will meet up one day. Whether a visit, convention or Bertram get together.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

sim all you have to do is make yourself available aug. 4, 2011. the entire bertram clan will be there together having a few beers and good times . just pick up the phone!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473