Anode time....what to do??

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Anode time....what to do??

Post by Harry Babb »

DeNada will be tied up in a spring fed freshwater river but will cruise and fish in saltwater bays and the Gulf of Mexico.

I have always used Zinc anodes.

Tonight I went online to order the big Zinc for the transom the 2 Barrell Zincs for the shafts and the Flat Disc for the rudders when I read that Magnesium anodes are recommeded for Freshwater.

So what's up??? What's the best way to deal with this situation??

Like I first said I've always used Zinc.....even on my I/O units with no problem.

Analysis to paralysis! ! !

hb
hb
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Harry - AJ stays in clean fresh water too and I've always used zincs and they "eat up" at a nice rate which indicates they are working. I get mine from Hamilton Marine. Hint: on the shafts, be sure to use the "torpedo" zincs and not the "do-nut" type. The do nuts will cost you a knot. Ask me how I know......

UV
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Thanks Vic
Unc Vic wrote:The do nuts will cost you a knot. Ask me how I know......

Vic.....How do you know??

hb
hb
In Memory of Vicroy

'cause I bought some by mistake.....Andre' helped me put them on using his lift and we both figured they would produce a lot of drag, and they did....one knot at cruise. On the other hand, as little as I've been able to use AJ, what's a knot here & there at the dock?

UV
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Unc Vic wrote:On the other hand, as little as I've been able to use AJ, what's a knot here & there at the dock?
LOL.....I know what you mean there bro......loosing a knot would actually put me in reverse......DeNada would be running a negative 1 knot at cruise....but not burning much fuel

A friend of mine asked me a while back "When are you gonna put this beast in the water"......I told him that I am not gonna put her back in the water....they cost to much to operate......its much cheaper to keep buying parts like zincs and fiberglass than diesel fuel.....LOL

hb
hb
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

It ain't funny. Given the price of fuel right now, a local bottom fishing trip will cost me what an all day offshore trip trolling all day used to cost me. At this rate, I may have to give this all up and fly fish from my 16' skiff.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Walter wrote:Given the price of fuel right now, a local bottom fishing trip will cost me what an all day offshore trip trolling all day used to cost me.
I had a friend (he died in 1986) that owned a Gulf Boat charter fishing boat. In the early 70's a half day trip was $150.00......$25.00 per fisherman....he had a 6 pack license. An 8 hour trip was $250.00.

At that time I was the lead driveline mechanic at our local Mack Truck dealership.......making a whoppping $3.15 per hour.

Last fall an 8 hour trip cost 18 times what it cost in the early 70's....if a mechanics salary increased proportionately he would be making over $56 per hour....

Your right Walter....it AIN'T funny......but I can tell ya.....when DeNada floats I WILL run her as much as I can possibly afford........I did not work as hard as I have......all of my life......to get here and just sit on the dock...... but I sure AIN'T happy about it.

Guess its time to go purchase ZINCS

Thanks
hb
hb
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Harry,
Go with Camp zincs all others aren't worth the time and effort to put them on. Camp shaft zincs have good contact buttons and the Allen heads don't gaul up and strip out the threads like the cheap ones if you put too much pressure on while tightening. When putting them on always sand the shafts and the buttons on the zincs where the contact points are, tighten once, hit them with a hammer and retighten screws again. I always use a T handle Allen wrench, better grip than the L style wrench.
I know the feeling about gasoline prices GD ragheads and speculators are getting rich off us. If the puppet that is running this country had any balls he'd put a stop all the funny business real quick, JFK wouldn't have stood for it for an instant. It used to cost less than & 50.00 when my boat was built in 1961 to fill the tank (with 100 octane gas, no corn crap), I don't even want to think of how much it is now. Happy Easter. Hop, Limp, Hop, Limp, Hop.
Pete
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Pete- I'd love to find the quote and/or the video. I actually remember him saying he thought the price should be $7.00 a gallon so the American public would get serious about our dependency on fossil fuel! I remember thinking, dumbass, want to bring America to a grinding halt? One takeoff on Air Force One consumes your lifetime's consumption of fuel on your cars and boat, and you're worried about OUR fuel use?
In Memory of Vicroy

Hey guys, don't fear....I saw in the morning paper that the CNIC is gonna build a frickin' windmill farm off Cape Cod for $2.1 billion so it can make electricity that only costs twice as much as using natural gas.

We are fools.

UV
STraenkle

Post by STraenkle »

Yep, it is only expected to increase the electric bill by 35%, not to mention 196 600 foot tall towers all over Nantucket sound. Makes heading out to go tuna hunting early in the morning a lot more fun. Use to just hit the auto pilot and sit back a watch the radar for other traffic, with them a half mile apart it is going to be a slalom course now. Not to mention how nice it is to look out at the water and have the view of the cape covered by windmills. The worst part is they are only expected to work for 20 years. Who cleans up the mess when they aren’t working anymore? My kids will love to spend their tax dollars on that.
Scott Traenkle
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Agree on the Camp zincs. Can't remember who (maybe Vic) said it years ago. Try this:
http://www.usazincs.com/store/home.php
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein