cellphone /booster/antenna

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Brewster Minton

cellphone /booster/antenna

Post by Brewster Minton »

At new house the signal for cell phone is bad. Who knows about the cell boosters and antennas that make it work better in the house? The prices varry alot. I have a Rugby made by samsung. http://www.wpsantennas.com/cell-phone-a ... sters.aspx
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I don't have a land line any more, but the cell service at home isn't great.

I use a Verizon Network Extender:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/stor ... oFemtocell

which sends the cell signal out via the cable. If you have cable internet, it's clear as a bell and works with any Verizon phone and most non-Verizon phones.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Before Verizon built a new tower in our remote neighborhood I had to go out to the driveway and put my hand on the hood of my truck to get a reasonable signal. Only the truck would do, not either car. Inconvenient but it prompted me to harass Verizon for a year to get on with the promised tower.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I am not positive but I think the Verizon extender is set up to ignore other cell carrier's scan for signal so that would only be an option for Verizon Wireless customers.
Possunt quia posse videntur
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Mikey, I had the same problem with Verizon, could not talk in the house,had to go out side. they put up a new antenna and now I could dump my land line if I wished...Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Stephan wrote:I am not positive but I think the Verizon extender is set up to ignore other cell carrier's scan for signal so that would only be an option for Verizon Wireless customers.
That is a programming decision that you make yourself. You can allow only your own phones to use it, or only certain phones, or any phone.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Russ, Thought about that but the Chairman of my company relies on FAX (older guy) and I need an international line that I don't want to go through the cell. If I can sell the remainder of the development on Tortola I would drop the land anchor.
Wana buy some nice land in the Caribbean?
http://michaelkennedysite.com/business/ ... ochure.pdf
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Getting a micro cell. Taken care of.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Brew:

ATT gave me a microcell for FREE -- now my cell works perfectly!

Tom
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Brewster...
It's funny, in Sag, my phone works great at the front of the house and I constantly lose calls at the back. I also have problems in Montauk.
Are you still in Hampton Bays ?
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

What be'z a "microcell"?

UV
Dug

Post by Dug »

Yeah Tom, what's that???? I need one!!!!!!! We have virtually no cell, no cable, no DSL. We are an island... Or it feels that way sometimes!

D
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

In my house at best I got 1 bar on my blackberry and that was when Jupiter aligned with Mars and the tinfoil hat wearing patrol didn't come near my house.

So, I went to ATT and asked what gives, and they said they can't have their cell towers everywhere and because I live on the side of a mountain, the signal doesn't work -- no sh$t was my response. They said, how about we GIVE you a microcell for free to keep you as a happy customer. I copied and pasted below their description so it will tell all. All I can say is, it works, I now have 4 bars anywhere and everywhere in my house and it hooked right up with my wireless internet.

AT&T 3G MicroCell acts like a mini cellular tower in your home or small business environment. It connects to AT&T's network via your existing broadband Internet service (such as U-verse, DSL or cable) and is designed to support up to four simultaneous users in a home or small business setting.

Device Features:

Enhanced coverage indoors.
No required additional monthly fees – just use the wireless minutes and data from your existing plan.
Available unlimited minute voice feature.
3G handset compatible – works with any AT&T 3G phone.
Supports 3G data services for customers without Wi-Fi capable handsets*.
Device is secure – cannot be accessed by unauthorized users, easy and secure online management of device settings.
Call hand-over capability – start calls on your 3G MicroCell and continue without interruption, even if you leave the building.

Device Requirements:

3G wireless phone
Broadband connection such as AT&T U-Verse, DSL, or cable
Computer with Internet access for online registration

Additional Information:

Installing your device near a window is strongly recommended to ensure access to Global Positioning System (GPS). A GPS link is needed to verify the device location during the initial startup.
The 3G MicroCell is portable and may be moved, provided the new location is within the AT&T authorized service area and properly registered online.
Calls transfer out, but don't transfer in. Calls transfer from the 3G MicroCell to the strongest available AT&T tower signal. However, calls connected on the cell tower do not transfer to the 3G MicroCell.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

when i moved into my new place i could not get cell service inside, had to step out side the door. told the guy at work that handles all the computers and phone, said i cant have this due to iam on call 24 / 7 emergancy service, they sent me a booster from sprint, hook it into you computer and has a small gps antenna that sits on the window sill.. works great no more problem
1968 hull # 316 - 757