Hard Tops

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt.Frank

Hard Tops

Post by Capt.Frank »

I am working on getting a hard top build to replace the canves on my boat. JP and Capt. Patrick (Hancocks boat) have what looks like 12v foward and aft LED flood lights and a 115v flood in the rear of the top. Does anyone know the brand of lights ? Money is tight so I am thinking I might add those lights later. I am planing on one LED over the helm and just leave my 12v lights on my tower for now. Was just curious to the brand and price of those lights. Anyone know what lights people use when they put the runing lights into the hard top. I love that look. I plan to help and do some sanding and work on the top to cut costs.

Thanks
Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Capt Frank...

I considered replacing my old canvas type top with a hardtop but decided to remain with a soft top because I read that if you leave your top on in a hurricane/heavy blow the wind gets under the top and causes the boat to heel, presenting more wind resistance. Boats have been known to drag anchors or been pulled hard against a float or pier because of this, causing damage.

My new soft top has the normal grommets every 6" or so, and instead of threading a single line through the grommets and around the pipe frame I use electrical wire tie wraps. In a rush I can cut them and have the top off the frame in just a couple of minutes.

Capt Frank (the other one)
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Hella on the skinny 12v halogens

and regular old Home Depot for the aluminum flood (slightly augemented to fit in the box)

Hella's last real good Aluminum Floods like one every 5 years.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I took my new Hella 120v aluminum floods apart and used TefGel on every screw, etc and years later they come apart real easy to change the bulbs. Without the TefGel they would only last a couple of years before the dissimilar metals corrosion would peel the powder coating off. TefGel eliminates that. And the Hellas are actually pretty good lights - stainless fasteners - and cheap.

UV
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

JP,
What type are the 12v lights LED Do you know? They look sweet.
Right now now gen so no real need for 120v.

Thanks
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Guy's,
The L&H 33 express that I am surveying right now is using Lumatec brand LED's they look like thet are pretty good quaility and they also make an underwater LED that is about half the price of the nearest competitor. The web site is www.Lumateclighting.com.
Pete
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Don't have LED's have Hella 12v halogens

The lumatec will fit in the opening we have but will require a hooty ring (prison slang for fudge plate)
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Thanks JP.
Those hella lights look so slick on you top compaired to standard mount.
1976 FBC
3208 NA