thoughts on bildge and bulkheads

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

wlbsr

thoughts on bildge and bulkheads

Post by wlbsr »

the bulkead aft of the engines has an opening at the bottom of the "V" which allows water to pass through. the way my boat sits, water runs forward and accumulates (a few inches) in the bildge between the engines. if a couple of people stand on the back of the boat or when the boat is first put in forward gear, the water runs back and is pumped out. is it ok to have the house batteries standing in a few inches of water? only way to keep this area dry would be to plug the opening in the bulkhead assuming all the water is running forward and not coming in from the top side through the hatch in the companionway or to install a small pump in this area or both. i know that in "new" boats this area is supposed to be sealed off.

any suggestions or thoughts?
Bill

BERG1474M74J-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

ok you said it . step one seal off main bulkhead from cabin to cockpit you know like the titanic should have had. no dirt , bait, oil and other nasties where you eat and sleep.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
wlbsr

Post by wlbsr »

sorry - cabin is sealed off. this is the bulkhead aft of the engines.
Bill

BERG1474M74J-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

other then two raw water intakes for engines the current better boat builders procedure for 2011 is one with manifold . with generator thru hull cannot have "scoop" in your case scoop with help water flow. waste outflow is rather differcult operation today in northeast waters with that valve open are grounds for a sentence of hung by the neck until dead and fined your love ones 25,000 -------not taken lightly!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

If you seal the bulkhead just aft of the motors...you'll have to seal the back section aft of the tank as well. You don't want to accumalate crap under the tank...I could guarrantee if it was my boat, one way or another I'd have bait make its way under the tank with no way to clean it out.

I'd add a bilge pump betwee the motors and pump it out...can't hurt to have another pump anyway.