Batteries Are In

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bob H.

Batteries Are In

Post by Bob H. »

Got all the Odyssey batteries in this past week, running 4/0 cables and heavy duty Blue Seas switches. Cummins panels came in last week and Im very close to hearing those Cummins growl for the first time..BH

1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

That is one clean looking install. Curious how much those batteries set you back.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

very happy to see the fruits off our long conversation on bertram battery banks . i went to the boat yesterday and checked out batteries by first shutting battery charger then read out on the three banks . still 13.2 volts after 10 years . they own me nothing!! way to go bob
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

That is a sweet Battery box. What did you use to make it?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Nice, real nice.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Bob, very nice. hope mine comes out half as good...Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

bob h ten people will come to the boat and tell you "you don`t need 4/0 cables .sucker them in " i bet you ten bucks you cannot see harmonic balancer turn" you then put X in magic marker on top and hit the key bingo a drink at the bar! both you and harry were too smart for that ! engines start in 1/10 of second in 40 degree weather. you will be smiling cannot wait.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Kevin, Those batteries run about 300+ each...Long life is why I bought them...Tony the box was made out of 1/4 g-10, over 3/4 airex, 1708 skin on out side and tabbed to hull with two layers 1708, added a 1/4" rubber pad between both batteries to act as a cushion, two S/S threaded rods bedded in epoxy pudding drilled down bout 12" into each side, holddown was a 1"x 1" square aluminum stock covered with a red shrink tube, blue fuel line over threaded rod to make it clean lookn. 4/0 should make those Cummins leap to life like Bob Lico mentioned.BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Looking nice.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Bob H. Wow!
Thanks for the postcard from qualityville.
Just curious, on another project I had gone to Jamestown Distributors for G10. I didn’t know of anywhere else to get it and I learned how precious it is. I hope this isn’t like asking for a private Tautog hole but are there other local or internet sources for the G10?
I would have thought the “end grain” of the box would have been white from the 1708 or purple-black if the Airex showed through but you laminated over the “ends” of the Airex with G10 too, right?
I have only used G10 as a backing plate. Are there special considerations for tabbing something as rigid as an Airex/G10 composite structure to the hull?
Best,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
John F.

Post by John F. »

Great work Bob. She's gonna' be quite the Bahia.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

hearing those Cummins growl
Bob, When I redid Dreamsicle the 6BTA-300's sat in the boat for five years silently waiting. Finally the time came. I had already pulled the injectors, had them cleaned and reinstalled after running oil down the tubes and spinning without compression. Primed the starboard engine and: wait a minute here, Dreamsicle is an express, so get the picture - to access the engine and the controls and gauges at the same time I had to straddle the engine by standing on the edge of the open engine box and Capt. Pat's side fresh-air intake box: now with my cajones hanging over that beast and trying vainly to start and prime and start and prime and and GROWL! The first time that engine lit it scared me so badly I immediately shut it down.
"Damn, what was that noise?"
She fired right up after that as did the port. What a thrill.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Thanks guys, Stephan I did cap the top with g-10 also, used plexus adhesive to tie it all together, try Composites One in Bristol, they supply everything fiberglass..Mikey Ive been crankin them on a monthly basis to get oil pressure, I hear ya on shuttin them down when they roared to life, Harry Babb lit his off for me when I was down visiting...gives you a little hope your gettin to the end of a long road...BH
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Bob, Love to be there to see the smile.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Great job there Bob.....

Are you gonna run the engines while there in your shop???

From all that I can see you should be getting pretty close....

She is gonna be one SWEET RIDE.......

Still have not even heard a whisper of a name for the ole girl......

How bout PURRRRRRR...FECTION???

hb
hb
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

How about "BERTFECTION"
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

4/0 hell i would of used 750 mcm lol
looking good bob
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Harry, That name put a big smile on my face....I going to fire them up in the shop with the biggest fan and all doors open...lil smoke wont hurt none..Im stuck for a name, but a few good buddies are helping me with that..I think a one word name will fit her just fine...When I first started on this sand box I asked for help naming her...I was just ripping down to bare hull at that time and one wise Bertram brother told me you have a long way to go before you name her...Im going back to find who that was...a wise man indeed....BH
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

charlie thats no joke . each of the "little" batterys are equal to a 8d but no fumes or acid eating away at the battery cable to stud joint. i use the same tool you use a burdy 15ton hydralic press. with 600volt schrink tube the batteries look the same as ten years ago, no green or white mold ar terminals!!! use burdy 4/0 lugs no lead head with bolt car teminal crap this is a 31bertram anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time--------------------------right bob
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
gplume

Post by gplume »

Bob-

Name I saw on a fishing machine I really liked "War Chant". Your boat could fit the bill. Need something a little edgy for a name like that.

Looking better and better...Hopefully the proposed schematic came in handy.

Will call soon

Giff
Giff
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Bob H.

Very impressive work..

The level of detail like covering the rod and shrink wrapping the tube.... I love seeing little stuff like that....very inspirational...

Dare I ask what's your hope full launch date...??

Keep it up...

Ray
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Ray, This sandbox has given me the inspiration to build a boat that I have pictured in my head for years. Gettin very close, like my good friend from Alabama once told me when asked about splash dates...when shes done yall will be the first to know...BH
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Bob.. Good answer... Still waiting for Dug to plan a trip down there to see it in person...
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Ray, You and Dug are welcome anytime...BH
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Bob...

When I bought "Phoenix" I had a name already picked out because she had been so neglected and mis handled I knew I was going to have to rebuild her, and I named her after the mythiligical Phoenix bird that flew into fire and was consumed, and then was reborn from the ashes.

One of my clients was into boats, and when I first told him I had bought an older Bertram he said "Oh, an old War Horse!".

If I had not already decided she was to be "Phoenix" I would have called her that! I have never seen that name on any boat.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

that a perfect name for a 31 bertram "war horse" i like that and never seen that on a boat .like the name battle wagon can only go on the transom of a 31 bertram.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473