Russ Pagels

Barbara Jean report # ?

Post by Russ Pagels »

1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Looking good I haven't seen a finished boat with this layout. Seems to make a lot of sense when you glass in the front windows.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Dug

Post by Dug »

So very cool!!!! I was on a boat in Bora Bora that had a layout similar, and Liz loved it. I agree about the head location. Pretty cool!
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Be very careful carrying fwd weight. There's a reason people don't do that to glassed in windshields.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

yep and it is critical on a 31 bertram i can even feel the differance when i try to hide that offshore anchor and chain in the chain locker. i think 50 lbs in the nose is worth 400lbs after the main bulkhead. the prop. shaft angle constantly pushes that bow down don`t put weight up there to help it along. they only make bow planes for subs not pleasure boat. ask capt .patrick about ruddering. make sure waste tank is in engine compartment yea its a bitch but essential!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Its not a high horsepower boat
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i believe it is a 330hp cummins powered boat. my post is in general to all this particular boat may be perfect .what i am saying is the lever effect that is 50lbs eight feet forward of balance becomes 400 lbs on the front part of the "see saw" hard to make up unless you have 3208 catapillar for power. fbc in a 2' to 3' sea wants to have waves cresting under front of side windows at cruise speed with the boat slightly bow proud .most effective when coming in a inlet riding the waves in .ruddering will cause dangerous condition of bow being push to one side or another.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Bob, 250 cummins.I am not a speed freak, I want to go fishing in comfort, and safety.most of the time you can run at only run 22 to 25 kts and be comfortable. Or as UV says rocking chair speed...Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

russ 22 to 25knt. is well within the scope of my discussion that is exactly the speed i was indicating. the fact is 99% of 30' boats that have a head locate the holding tank immediatly adjacent to the toilet. so we have a toilet , 20gallon holding tank, anchor@ rode,storage under v berth equating to about 8'from balance point. . 8 x 210 lbs (assuming a full holding tank at times) equals 1680lbs effect on the bow of the boat at cruise speed of 22knt not 90kns . the only way to nolify balance is to hard pipe from head to holding tank located to the stern of main bulkhead. this is not my 2 cents this is base on many hours of operation with 31 bertram.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

For the discussion of leverage yes the bow is affected by less weight than it takes to make the same change in the stern.

For the discussion of ruddering, this boat won't be fast enough to see that effect. The boat was sea trialed with this layout and has been running this way for years- like 15.

Running angle may be different than a balanced boat but it will be safe and dependable like the rest of our 31's.

Don't worry Russ the sky is not falling. If your worried keep one less fat guy in the V-Berth.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

there was no intention to alarm anybody just make them aware of raymond hunt design . i did not put the little white signs on the side of the gunnels " slings" that was the original desigh balance points of the factory. the point is altering it has limits one way or the other to maintain safety however at this stage of contruction no big deal to run a 11/2" pvc pipe to holding tank and flexible waste hose on each end and keep holding tank out of sleeping/eating quarters ---just sayin ! never seen a odorless holding tank.and at the same time increase fuel milage by decreaseing wet area.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Dug

Post by Dug »

Bruce,

If you wanted to replicate this layout, and were concerned with weight (which I think is a worthy concern) what would you recommend? Foam core cabinetry with a veneer? Something along those lines?
Dug

Post by Dug »

Let me clarify. Moving the head forward to the galley location. Not putting a head in the v-berth...