Randall, 100S

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mikey

Randall, 100S

Post by Mikey »

Saw that Gooding & Co. Auctioneers sold a 1955 100S for $632,500 at Amelia Island Concourse this year.
How many cars have you owned and regret having sold. Before I read this I regretted selling my two 100-4's, now I'm just pissed. Of course mine were not S's, but still . . .
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
randall

Post by randall »

there were only 55 100 S's built. i sold the 100 4 for 4 times what i paid for it and dont regret selling it. i dont have to take care of it anymore and after 25 years was pretty happy i didnt get killed in it.

but it was a very cool car

Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Nice ride...need goggles and helmet for that lil windshield...or alot of floss to get the bugs out...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
randall

Post by randall »

bob...that little windscreen actually worked better than the fold down windshield that was stock. the original aimed the air flow right at your eyes. a few laps around bridgehampton taught me that the fold down windshield wasn't good at speed...............and the car had no brakes after you used them in anger once or twice. pretty to look at but really a howdy car without a lot of work.

yep...i had the snoopy goggles.
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

MIcky,Randall I had a 1957 1006,wire spoke wheels that had to be tuned, s/u suide draft oil bath carbs,It had a rag and hard top,it took 5 min to get the rag top up, no fun it the rain,4 seed tranny with electric over drive. my first sports car. it was fun....Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
randall

Post by randall »

russ...i took the top, bumpers, windshield, interior upholstery , heater , trunk upholstery,and the spare and put em away for the duration. when i sold the car the interior was chock full of all the stuff i didnt cart around for 25 years. even though i drove it year round it was a toy and never daily transport.

i did rebuild every system in the car but the paint was original. only saw rain 2 or 3 times in 25 years...virtually rust free.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Randall- You sold your car?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Rust free? That's rare.
Russ, Had a 110-6 in the stable for a while but a close one made me think twice. Raced a friend over Afton mountain from Waynesboro, VA to Charlottesville. and made it. The Lord surely looks over . . .
Arrived in C'ville and while parking the left rear wheel with the axle pulled from the car. We can laugh about it now.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Micky,After making a hard turn I popped off half of the wheel, the wires snaped. the electric fuel pump was located under the left rear jump seat . the seat was held on with two screws. these were removed so when you turned the key and you did't hear the the pump working,I would reach for the copper hamer for the wheel spinners, and give a tap to start it.and of course the sliding plexaglass side windows,that seperated at speed,let in cold winter air and the heater sucked. winter on Long Island, and it was my every day commuter. Ah to be young and stupid..Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
randall

Post by randall »

i spent the first summer taking the car completely apart and welding in new sheet metal wherever necessary. then a few coats of paint and never wet again....almost.

i actually once found a rock and hit the pump to get it started...worked. very easy car to push start BTW. i also didn't use first gear for 25 years...way too low.

walter...i sold it to pay for part of my wrist surgery. took ten minutes....one call, sight unseen "i'll send a flat bed". i had enough medical expenses last year that at least i have no tax debt this year.

boats next......
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I had an MGB with disc brakes on the front and drums on the rear....guess how you adjusted the rear brake shoes.....nope, no click wheel...try shims under a stud....that is, just the right thickness of shims under each of several studs by trial & error....a decent rear brake adjustment took 7 or 8 hours....and oh yeah, the little oil resovoir in the carb that dripped a drop now & then on the leather acelerator pump piston. No wonder the Brits still have a Queen.

Finally sold it to a young kid who's check bounced.

UV
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Yea, Vic, know why the Brits drink warm beer? They have Lucas refrigerators. Sir Lucas, Prince of darkness.
Randall, Did Yours have the block in the shifter gate cut so that you could have a four speed? I did that to mine and discovered why the Brits used the same drive train in tractors. Stump puller. Changed the rear to one from a 100-6 and Voila, Not only was the first gear useable but in overdrive I think she would do over 150, if the rest could keep up. What a beast!
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
randall

Post by randall »

no...it was a BN2....4 speed with 2 speed overdrive. 2nd gear was lower than first in the honda civic. first was a joke. and no syncromesh either. reverse was pretty low too.

i had the car clocked at 95 at bridgehampton and frankly if it had more i had no interest in finding out. think biplane engineering.
clay

Post by clay »

Randal:

I just about got rid of my 1954 this year, I sent it to the hot rod shop to get new steering, disc brakes and a new engine they put in a new fuel tank and a new battery - I had a friend pick it up and bring it home, when he pulled up to the house I smelled fuel, I checked the engine then opened the trunk to find that they did not install a battery strap and the battery had flipped on to the new tank fusing the positive terminal to the tank. You can see the fuel stain around the terminal - close call.
randall

Post by randall »

clay...YIKES!!!

looks fast....
clay

Post by clay »

350ci/350hp 1958 muncie close ratio 4 speed, Zoom clutch covered by 1958 Ansen 2 pc. scatter shield (with the bottom 1/2) 1961 12 bolt GM rearend w/welded flanges - She drag raced in the early 1960s with a 1958 Corvette 283 (I still have it in a crate). I mention the bottom 1/2 of the scatter shield because having both pcs is rare - they were outlawed by NHRA in 1960 (seems that the racers found out they could leave the 1" thick cast bottom off and save 42 lbs and the top 1/2 would still protect you from amputation of lower body parts. The result was a lot of clutch discs & plates imbeded in the asphalt.

I had a 100M in College and always wished it had some go, now I wish I had it back as it was all original no restoration just oil and rust and lucas everywhere.

While the AH is sort of a ball buster - I also have the worlds safest vehicle according to "Top Gear" - it is so slow you can avoid most accidents and it is so large when you are in one you probably won't notice. Neither leave the ranch much so I consider them GREEN vehicles.

bob lico

Post by bob lico »

totally amasing your not dead. that is a close one for sure , still not sure why the tank did not blow ,possibly tank fumes were actually coming out gas cap like design but glad to see you still with us.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473