Walter K

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory of Vicroy

Walter K

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Walter was to have his first hip replacement today at a NYC hospital. He said he was gonna be out of commission for a while and away from a computer. Anyone - Prof, Rahn-dollllll - know how he's doing? Let's all just bow our heads for a few seconds and wish him the best. He is about the coolest guy we have around here. Hobbled around on two bad hips in Panama - he's older than me, and that gives dirt a run for its money - and managed to catch a bunch of sails on his fly rod. Seems like the Prof fished with him using a fly rod too.....The lame & the wheezing..... But both are coming back to Panama next June, so we shall see the new & improved Bionic Men.

I'd like to send him some flowers or just call him. You NY guys get me some numbers, please.

UV
Harv

Post by Harv »

If I knew which hospital, I would go and pay him a visit.
Harv
In Memory of Vicroy

Harv, I went back and looked at his orginal post and he's in NYC Presbyterian Hosp. I'm gonna Google it and get a phone # and call them in the morning for his room. Harv, if you can get by there, give us the scoop and give him our best.

UV
randall

Post by randall »

been trying to reach walter for two days but so far no luck...runnin out for a few hours but will try again later
In Memory of Vicroy

Hey Faithful, just got off the phone with Walter and his wife. He is in the hosp. in NYC and had the hip done yesterday and they had him walking up and down the hall today. He was in very good spirits and said good thing I called this afternoon vs. this morning when he "felt like crap". He said the only reason he is having both hips done is to kick the Porf's ass on the fly rod sails in Panama next June.

He will be in the hosp. until about Friday or Sat, then going home. I think he would appreciate a few phone calls from the Faithful, but let's not over do. My suggestion is if you really know him, a short call wishing him well would be fine. 212 305 3101, ask for Walter Kaprillian's room. I'd say shut it down by about 7 pm EST.

Great news he's doing good.

UV
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I am sure UV has the right idea about some of us who aren't so close to Walter standing by rather than taking up his time.. so please.. whoever does call him.. let him know that I send him good vibes and best wishes.

I will check back here to keep updated.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
In Memory of Vicroy

Oh yeah, don't send stuff to the hosp. since they live 120 miles away in the east hamptons and would have to cart it home. Wait till he gets home to send stuff. He really sounded upbeat and asked me to tell all the Faithful how much he appreciated us pulling for him.

I think we need to start a pool (shoot, let's just call a spade a spade - a betting line) on a one on one fly fishing shoot-out between Walter the Cripple and the Prof the Wheeze in Panama. I'm taking the bets, no juice, now that's a deal.....

UV
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

UV...

Any more info on Walter?
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Tried to call Walt a few minutes ago (1:04p.m. Friday) and he was discharged at Noon.
Now I need a home phone. Any help?
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Further note. If he was discharged today, let him rest today and call him tomorrow.
Just recent personal experience speaking. As much as I enjoy talking to you guys, the evening after discharge wouldn't have been one of those times.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I'm back, alive, and got the computer fuctional (finally). It's just great to get back on the site again. Feels like a major recuperative act. You know you've made it on this site when you've earned a nick-name. Seems like Uncle Vic has given Mike and me a set of them. Does this mean there WILL be a fly rod category at UVI 7? Thanks again guys for all your good wishes. Anybody tells you it's a piece of cake, don't believe them, but it sure helps to have a bunch of guys you respect rooting for you. I'll be trapped on one floor of my house for a while, but I certainly look foward to walking around more like a human being again. I may be forced to raise my bridge seat or install a pedestal one, but we'll discuss that in the Spring. Walter
In Memory of Vicroy

Well, having you back and on the mend is a very good Christmas present for us all. Now on the other hand, a fly rod division at UVI 7 is probably a stretch since I have to maintain certain standards to insure the event is properly and fairly run.....

UV
randall

Post by randall »

as long as you keep the surfing division.
In Memory of Vicroy

Ran-dollllll, ya know, I was thinking about that. I felt bad you did not win that last year, but maintaining strict standards is very important in a world-class event. Fly fishing, surf boards, where will it end? Tom P. tried to enter a red snapper in a UVI, a woman from Florida caught a blue marlin and tried to upset the Rules. Andre' caught a huge roosterfish and tried to claim a prize over my sea snake thingy. The strength of the UVI is its uniform rules, applied fairly to all.

yo Fren'

UV
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

The rules really ARE simple aren't they. All we have to do is accept them, but we can't be faulted for trying. Walter
randall

Post by randall »

UV...actually i think i did........................but since my short term memory is toast i could be wrong....then again it was well after dark when the judging was announced so no one there has a clear (no pun intended) shot at remembering much about it....what was the bar tab again?..........any way..........................Merry Christmas !!......
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Vicroy wrote:Well, having you back and on the mend is a very good Christmas present for us all. Now on the other hand, a fly rod division at UVI 7 is probably a stretch since I have to maintain certain standards to insure the event is properly and fairly run.....

UV
UV: Did you mean "fairly won" . . . by you? Merry Christmas

Walter: Congratulations!! My Godfather who was the first owner of my B31 had both of his hips done seperately last year at 80. He is like a new man now! Killed his 50th and 51st turkeys this year. Recuperation was painful, but once you get past those few months you will be pain free!! Merry Christmas!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31