Government workers!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

Government workers!

Post by PeterPalmieri »

So as you guys know the boat stayed in the water in the Babylon village dock and I am hopefully getting a summer slip as well. Was told in the fall I was on the list and a summer spot would be no issue.

Got a reminder email yesterday. Boats got to be out of the winter slip by march 31 as the summer slips open up April 1. Call over to village hall to see where I should move my boat. They wont be working out the new summer slips for two weeks and they should have one for me but no guarantee.

"So uummm what should I do? Boat needs to be out of the slip Thursday we will be in touch in a few weeks". UNBELIEVABLE.

As it turns out the boat is over at the yard being worked on so it shouldn't be an issue if I get my spot in a few weeks.

Also made the mistake of leaving my dock lines on the poles. Hopefully they don't disappear now.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

whooo, i thought it was another issue with government workers
1968 hull # 316 - 757
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

It is a bit of a strange local govt thing. They know they have boats in winter slips. They know those boats are going into summer slips but there is a two week period of homelessness.

I saw the guy in the slip a few down from me yesterday. He asked for a different slip for the summer then he had in previous years. They already assigned the slip he is currently in and he also needs to be out. But they haven't assigned him a new slip yet.

The logical question is what do you do for 2 weeks. The answer is not my problem.

They must give boat owners from past years a grace period to keep there slip, then they have to move people around and make arrangements. It would only seem logical to set the deadlines so that they don't overlap.
randall

Post by randall »

if the boat was in a slip i would have just left it there. if someone actually claimed and needed the slip just move to another...two weeks of musical chairs and you good.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Yesterday ocean pkwy was closed and in the morning you could make your way from the loop pkwy west all the way to cedar beach before they turned you around. About 15 miles. Turn around go back to the Wantagh pkwy and east on southern state. What would have been 5 miles from cedar beach to Robert Moses pkwy at southern state now to go back and around is about 30 miles. Makes what would have been a 20 mile trip into 50 miles.

A friend of mine asked a Suffolk police officer or suggested that they put up a sign or stop traffic earlier. The answer was not my job keep moving.

Last exit is in Nassau county and the road closure is in Suffolk county.
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

And you ask why I left long Island!..Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Randall, that is exactly what the other guy was going to do.

My email said failure to comply Will result in a summons being issued as well as the possibility of being towed. You will also forfeit your privilege for a boat berth for the 2011 season. Not a chance I want to take.

I learned my lesson here. Once I have a permanent summer slip it won't be an issue. Now there is a particular marina in the village That everyone wants to be in. They could possibly say they have room for you there not assign you a slip until April 15 and give away your old slip. That's what happened to the other guy.

He has more leverage with his situation then I do.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

For any of you guys that are or were government employees no offense I am just venting.

I should mention generally people at village hall are helpful just not in this case.
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

You can tie up at my dock if you need to. I won't be going in till the end of April.

As for getting a slip, I believe Babylon residents get first pick. If you happen to notice a nonresident getting a slip before you (I'm sure it would be purely accidental). You could make the village aware of the oversight.
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

peter
the last time on ocean parkway, they did the same thing , instead of putting up a sign by wantagh pkw, somtimes the right hand doesent know what the left is doing.
1968 hull # 316 - 757
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Ed,

Thanks for the offer I think I have it figured out. The boat is in islip at martins marine at the moment and if they get done before my slip is assigned mike at southards said it would be no problem keeping it there for a few weeks.

I will probably try to stop by on Saturday and pick up the fish finder if you are around.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

CWJ,

I thought after 9/11 different agencies of the government were going to figure out how to communicate. I wonder how that's working out.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

i guess they have not figured that out yet.
charlie
1968 hull # 316 - 757
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

PeterPalmieri wrote:Yesterday ocean pkwy was closed and in the morning you could make your way from the loop pkwy west all the way to cedar beach before they turned you around.
Another dead body found on the beach......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Dug

Post by Dug »

Peter,

Welcome to boating...

Definition of "SNAFU"...

D
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

PeterPalmieri wrote:CWJ,

I thought after 9/11 different agencies of the government were going to figure out how to communicate. I wonder how that's working out.

Figure it out? I thought that there was an Emergency Broadcast System. Where was it on 9-11?

50 years of testing it, and it failed on the day we needed it.

DO NOT TRUST 'THEM' TO DO ANYTHING.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

PeterPalmieri wrote:It is a bit of a strange local govt thing. They know they have boats in winter slips. They know those boats are going into summer slips but there is a two week period of homelessness.
It's like bars having to close for an hour every day.......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I'm glad you signed your name Charlie because it was escaping me.

Dug the best thing I ever did was buy that flats boat and keep it on a trailer. All the headaches of having a boat in the water disappeared unfortunately I forgot how good I had it.

Mike I take OP round trip everyday from Babylon to union dale and back. Life is good when there are no dead bodies in the way. When we get to the time of year that the fish are running the beach I usually call in the fleet location to my friends that are on the water.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I KNOW that the Coast Guard, Homeland Security and the FBI don't communicate with each other. Try renewing your Captain's license and getting the mandatory TWIC card. Every one of them takes your fingerprints and photographs separately rather than share what already exists. There's more chance of falsifying a document by doing them independently than if they worked off a central base, but that would be smart, faster and less expensive.
Makes those 24-48 hour gun checks they want to legislate a joke.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

peter
i should change it but i dont know how
Last edited by Charlie J on Apr 1st, '11, 05:03, edited 1 time in total.
1968 hull # 316 - 757
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

i should change it but i dont know how
..................Image
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

i cant delete it in my profile, same as e mail ???
Last edited by Charlie J on Apr 1st, '11, 06:11, edited 1 time in total.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Charlie,

You can edit any post that you've made by clicking on the edit icon, Image, for that particular post and altering the post in any way, (add, subtract, correct spelling, etc), other than deletion... Only an Administrator can delete a post or a thread.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

yes i understand that, but i cant change cwj to charlie on my profile, it wont let me delete and change, no big deal
1968 hull # 316 - 757
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Charlie J wrote:yes i understand that, but i cant change cwj to charlie on my profile, it wont let me delete and change, no big deal
There was already a Charlie, so you got the J too.

OK?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

thanks mike i can live with that
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

Dad worked for Dept. of Public Works (City of NY) as a chemist. As a student at City College (CCNY), he would set up a test/experiment that took 2 hrs and go study or to another class during the 2 hr period, returning in 2hrs to do documentation and note results.
When he got a job with the City, he was reprimanded for leaving to do something else and told to sit there and wait/watch for the result.

Kinda like the painter you hire by the hour sitting and watching the paint dry !!
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly