Teak Covering Boards

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Pete Fallon

Teak Covering Boards

Post by Pete Fallon »

To the faithful,
One of the wood working companies that I deal with in Stuart, Florida has a bunch of teak covering boards that are for sale. They range from 14" to 17" wide and 14' to 19' long some are 5/4 thick, some are 4/4 thick. Nice material, Burmese teak, no plantation crap. Prices run from $40 to $46 per board foot. If anyone needs covering boards this is real nice material. Availability is getting limited. Call MR Marine Woods 772-220-0309. I have no finanical interest with the company, I saw the material yesterday and for teak lovers this top quality stuff.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Pete, Could I ask you to put an eye on some good pieces for me? Lookin for gunnel cap material, I can get some measurements tomorrow..they ship to Mass?Thanks for the heads up..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Bob,
I am giong to the wood working shop this afternoon, I will check on their shipping policy. When you measure the transom board make sure you take into consideration the radius curve of the transom, allow for a wider board if your going to do it in one single board or are you going to have a scarf joint using 2 separate boards. Also measure the side peices for the thickness of the molded-in toe rail height along the gunwhale. I'll get back to you tonight with availiblity and shipping costs to southern Mass.

Pete Fallon
Dug

Post by Dug »

Pete,

Thanks for the email. Please check it out on my behalf as well.

I spoke with MR this morning, and they are going to get me approximate pricing and info. They have done a few covering board jobs on B31's so they should have measurements.

I won't be able to get to the boat for about two weeks as I am having my hip surgery on Friday and expect not to be able to climb all over the jungle gym quite as nimbly as normal. They are supposed to be able to give me an approximate guess as to how much wood I need and thus a cost plus shipping.

Hope that helps a bit!

Best,

Dug
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Also measure the side peices for the thickness of the molded-in toe rail height along the gunwhale.
For cap boards on the gunnel sides of the cockpit, do a fairing to build away the inboard raised feature... This will also give the cap boards a slight overboard tilt for water drainage.

This is what I recommended to Gert and what he did. Much cleaner look and full width to the cap boards. In addition to the curve and crown of the transom, there's a pretty fair sweep to the side gunnels.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Dug-Hip replacement?
Dug

Post by Dug »

Walter, nope, just arthroscopic tune up. I have a torn labrum in my left hip. Same injury as Mike Lowell had when playing for the Sox and A-rod had recently. I call it the symptom of an active lifestyle. Thankfully it is essentially day surgery, and I should be good to go in a couple weeks. They say driving in 24-48 hours, and 6 weeks for full recovery. Lets hope that is accurate!
Dug

Post by Dug »

Could anyone get me a full length and width measurements for the sides as well as transom pieces? I won't be to the boat for a couple weeks...

Much appreciated!!!

Dug
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Dug:

How about checking with Tiger, I think he still has it in his backyard and you could follow-up on the Yanmar 260hps.

Tom
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Dug, My boat measured around 9' long, Id say 10 for extra to cut n fit. The width if you go over toe kick Capt Pat showed above, 13" should be enough to compensate for the curve, same dimension should do for the transom curve as well. What thickness do you recomend Capt Pat? 1" ?
That fairing you showed above gets a bit thick towards forward end, seems to be around 3/4 up forward to about 1/2 towards the stern. Just makin sure Im on the same page.
If you guys dont think those measurements will fly chime in..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i filled mine in with expoxy and additives along with strips of mahogony. quite a thick space to fill in if you do not taper like capt. patrick indicates.i use full thick 5/4" burmise teak.i chose to make double splice at stern courners this way the hawes pipe is not in the splice also add a little big boat eye appeal.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Doug& Bob H,
I was at MR Wood this afternoon, the rough teak boards are at a secure warehouse, boards are really good Burmese teak, we will have to get real close measurements of side lenghts( how far forward do you want to go & radius measurements on sides and transom). I will be going out to my boat Thursday afternoon if it isn't raining too hard, I'' take some measurements, but almost every 31 is a little different depending on the year. I might have one of the boat hauling companies that go back and forth to Ma all the time lined -up for delivery of the boards to a central spot in Ma. Got to finalize that aspect. The regular trucking or UPS would be too heavy and too long for what is needed.
I'll work on figuring the logistics and measurements within the next few days. Doug, Good luck with the hip surgery. Bob Lico those covering boards look real nice on the Phoenix.

Pete Fallon
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Doug, Bob H,
If you find the shipping prices get out of hand on this let me know..

I think the 19' long boards sound great, rare and are tough to come by but if I read Bob H correct you only need boards 12 feet long and 12 - 13" wide..??

I'll make some calls to my 3 suppliers today if there is nothing that wide. I can certainly spline, glue up and plane them down for you guys .. I can plane 24" wide and finish sand 36" .. Actual cost of stock plus maybe 2- 3 hours total of shop time for both boats...You can pick up in Peabody.. Again that goes for anybody needing millwork..

Hey Pete... Not trying to step on your toes here but i can imagine the freight charges from fla may be up there... Last time i checked 5/4 Burmese was around $35/BF(8 mo ago). I know they get a premium for wide and long boards .. just giving these local guys or anyone else up here an option...

Let me know if I can help....

Doug good luck with the hip...

Ray
Dug

Post by Dug »

Thanks all!

Ray, is one of your sources St. Angelo Hardwoods in Bristol, RI?

Steve was fantastic to work with when I got the wood to do my deck.

Just curious...

Dug
Dug

Post by Dug »

Against my better judgement, I decided to call Steve St. Angelo at the aforementioned establishment. He would have the wood available as well. Steve is a direct importer and is the primary supplier/distributor of teak for the NE area. Ray, he knew who you were, and had nothing but compliments.

He is going to do some digging in his shop to see what he can come up with, but said what our needs our would not be difficult.

He will likely be back with pricing reasonably soon.

He sold me my deck materials and I have bought all my teak needs from him for quite a while. A true help and gentleman. He's been great. And he is in RI.

So while Stuart, FL may be an awesome option ultimately, it would be nice to know what the guy in our area can do as well. Along with Ray, who has got some damned nice abilities as well if you don't have your own equipment!

I'll keep everyone posted, but I would think this is mostly for us NE area guys.

FYI, Steve brings his wood in direct via shipping container quantities. He's a good guy to know if you love and use teak.

Dug
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Bob I like the double miter idea, My measurements are 12' by 13" or 14 " wide. I appreciate the effort by all..Im near Foxboro where Pats play but Peabody is not that far away, will keep you in the loop Ray..BH
Dug

Post by Dug »

Bob H,

So 12' long by 13-14" wide? Three pieces each measuring that?

Just to be sure...

Where is your boat, near Foxboro or CT? I don't know why I am confused on that one...

If you are near Foxboro, I'm coming down to peek asap!
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Dug,
I spoken to St Angelo but don't buy the teak from them..It's either Keiver Willard or Holt and Bugbee who we have accounts with. I know that St Angelo has some nice product but I've always looked at them as a boutique type supplier and not a large scale one.. Guess I was wrong didn't know about them being the NE. importer..

If you go see Bob H's 31 I'll meet you there.... I'll bring the beer...

I'll have price and availability for the teak mentioned in the morning..
FYI my sources say what they currently have in stock is beautiful straight grain.. If it is I don't see a huge difference to seam it but I understand how we all can be..
Ray
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Dug, Bob H ... Teak prices

5/4 Burmese Teak clean up at 12' long and 6" and 10" ..in stock in Ma..
My/Your cost $21.00 BF..-

Nothing currently available from my suppliers beyond 10" wide..

I can glue up, and plane one or two faces, one or two edges...

You can bring your templates and use my shop and equipment to cut out the shapes right here.. I have 60" long edge sanders that will help with the profile..Then run everything through the timesaver to size all thicknesses perfect to one another....

Ray...
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Ray,
No problem about stepping on my toes, if you can get the boards locally and save the freight that fine by me. I was trying to help our the guys and it is pretty hard to find boards 14-17" wide and that long, and the price for top quality wide& long boards doesn't seem too far out of the picture. Dug & Bob H I am going out to my boat tomorrow afternoon to measure the transom and side radius for the covering boards. Maybe you can get away with 14" wide stock, I'll know better tomorrow evening.

Ray, has Walnut St flooded lately? I know the area very well spent 12 years on the Peabody Fire Dept before I got hurt. Is you shop right behind Dunkin Donuts and across from the old Page & Goodwin building and the slaughter house, where the new condos are now.

Pete Fallon
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Pete,

That's exactly where I am.. We got it again last year but not that bad because of precautions taken..
Last really bad flood i believe was mothers day 2006 or 2007 third hundred year flood in 10 years.. after that I poured a 12" concrete slab in the showroom, so now I'm about 16" above street level... At the worst one we had 10" at my front door behind the sand bags..

Didn't help that they built that condo across the street on top of the canal to let water out to the harbor...

Ray
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Ray n Pete, Thank you both for all your help...would like to go with 13" wide...Dug better check your measurements, the bahia mar is much shorter cap than the FBC, check out Bob Licos pic above, my caps stop near the rear of my engines those go past by engine length...you may need those 14's...Im good with 12 x 13"x 1". 4/4 is 1"? 5/4 is 3/4? BH
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Bob H,
4/4 is 1" rough, will finish cleanly at 13/16"+ , 5/4 is 1 1/4" rough, will finish cleanly at 1 1/16"+ if you plane both sides.. Not sure if you need to plane the backside completely, just enough to flatten it. I would think the rough face would give you a better surface for the epoxy to Bite to.

I'm sure these guys will chime in as to whats best .. but that's what I would do, If you want to yield the most from the thickness of buying rough stock from the mill..

Ray
Dug

Post by Dug »

Bob,

Good to know.

Ray, I feel for you on flooding...

Three feet in the plant and 9 feet in the basement twice in the past decade. It is wildly destructive...

Dug
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Ray, I like the 5/4 idea leave it rough on the bottom...BH
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Bob H,
I've never done covering boards, I'm sure the other guys on here who have, Bob Lico, Randall, Capt Pat etc..would know best... that's just what I would do..

Dug,
Since putting in all the safe guards the last time it flooded, we've never had a real bad one thank God to test it all.....Like putting in an alarm after you've been robbed and wanting it to go off next time to catch the thief....

Ray
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Dug&Bob H.

I did some measuring this afternoon on my boat for the covering boards, my boat is a 1961 express so there might be some differences with years and models. Here goes: Port and Starboard sides 9' long ( aft edge of the blower deck discharge) I have one air intake scoop facing forward and one facing aft). The forward end is 11" wide from rub rail to house side, tappering to 8" just before the stern hawse hole( triangle style). The transom peice is also 9' long on the outer edge. 80" on the inside edge before the curve for the hawse hole fitting. The area around the hawse hole is 13-1/2" from the middle inside to the outer edge near rub rail. My toe rail( raised lip in cockpit is 3/4" high. The drop down is 2-5/8" all around the inside of the cockpit.
So it looks like you could get away with 3 pieces 9' long by 14" wide, if your carefull with measurements and cuts, out of the 14" wide material there is 2-7/8" of board left for inner trim. So depending how you make the transom conners that amount of material is what I figure you wiil need.
Hope this helps, if you can the boards for $40.00 per foot just the boards will be around $1,100 plus shipping charges. I think my math is correct don't hold me to it.

Pete Fallon
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Hey Pete, my calculations...

108" x 14" divided by 144 x $40 x 1.25(5/4) X 3 boards = $1575.00...
if it's 4/4 = $1260.00

This is only if Sister Mary Jean taught me right..

Ray
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Ray,
I went to catholic school also, but spent all my time trying to avoid Sister Nasty from hitting my knuckles with her ruler or ducking flying erasers.
Thanks for the correction on the pricing. Are you getting snow or rain the line is pretty close to the coastline.
Pete
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Pete..

We got about 4" of cement like slush that all fell from 4 to 7 am..

House up north got 12"+ so more snow in front of the boat...

It'll be May before I can get the b20 down here..raining now supposed to be 50 tomorrow.... gotta love New England..